Introduction and Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!

Very excited to be joining the ranks of a Hundy/470 owner! I recently purchased an 01 LX with 145k miles. It spent most of its life in the Midwest (I'm located in MN), so some rust, but overall not too bad! This is going to be my daily driver, no immediate plans for adding weight (bumpers, roof rack, etc.) Though I may add a skid plate/underbody protection as my factory "splash guard" is cracked in the back and drooping. Open to suggestions there for replacement options. I do take roadtrips often, and also frequent the woods in northern MN hence my desire for a 4x4 (coming from a TDi Jetta wagon). Would like to do some mild off-roading, but nothing hardcore rockcrawling like. Also open to hearing about locations in MN for a little adventure.

The list of everything done so far under my ownership is as follows:

Front axles
Battery
All diff fluids
Tranny fluid
Tires (put on 265/75r16 Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse AT's)
(1) wheel speed ABS sensor

Known issues:

Slight wobble and squeak under average breaking (looking into next week)

Lexus dealership says actuator motor in driver door is going out cause the lock/unlock sequence will miss an input occasionally

Speaker rattle (non nav ML system)

Sunroof doesn't like to close unless you help it along

AHC pressures too high

That last one brings me to my main question. I brought it to a Lexus dealership and they got me these readings (see attached photo) and clearly they are way out of spec, especially the front. Is it possible that they read N to high rather than L to N? Is there any hope of saving the system or is it going to need major repair or LC swap perhaps as it is now? Hopefully someone can read their prontout and interpret it for me. Or even just linking to a thread with a similar situation would be extremely helpful, navigating this website on mobile is a learning experience lol.

Anyway, thank you all in advance for reading and commenting on it any advice. Excited for the future adventures!

Alex

20210814_181708.jpg

20210818_103525.jpg

20210728_152955.jpg

Welcome!

I'll defer to the real experts regarding the AHC values, but I will say that the AHC is a really good system that is worth investing in. As far as your splash guard, you can look in the classified section under the part out subsection and see if you can find one there, or ordering a new skid from ASFIR offroad might be a good solution. Beautiful rig, and I am sure you'll love it.

Welcome!

I'll defer to the real experts regarding the AHC values, but I will say that the AHC is a really good system that is worth investing in. As far as your splash guard, you can look in the classified section under the part out subsection and see if you can find one there, or ordering a new skid from ASFIR offroad might be a good solution. Beautiful rig, and I am sure you'll love it.

Thanks! Yeah I do love how it rides even now, would imagine it's sublime within pressure. I had looked a little into the ASFIR skids so I should do that some more, and good advice for the classifieds. Appreciate it!

AHC pressures too high

That last one brings me to my main question. I brought it to a Lexus dealership and they got me these readings (see attached photo) and clearly they are way out of spec, especially the front. Is it possible that they read N to high rather than L to N? Is there any hope of saving the system or is it going to need major repair or LC swap perhaps as it is now? Hopefully someone can read their prontout and interpret it for me. Or even just linking to a thread with a similar situation would be extremely helpful, navigating this website on mobile is a learning experience lol.
@suprarx7nut

AHC pressures: Yes, that's very high. Height sensors indicate it's in N, so I think the values are valid.

Two things come to mind:

1. Perhaps the sensors were adjusted to give it a "sensor lift". If somebody did that and failed to re-adjust the front torsion bars and add a spacer in the rear, you'd end up with pressures like this. Is your first picture in your post with the car in H? It looks awfully high if that's N.

Or

2. The front T-bars and rear springs are really just that worn.

Start by measuring heights first. All you need is a tape measure. If the N heights are too high, simply slide the brackets down in their slot to get N back into spec. Then you can re-measure pressures and adjust as needed.

See the cheat sheet and AHC walkthrough here: AHC Info - https://www.yotamd.com/blogs/news/ahc-info

There's also a great thread on this forum called something like ABCs of AHC. The first page of that thread is gold. Give it a read.

The only thing that "kills" AHC from a practical standpoint is rust. If it's not ridiculously rusted, it's all very affordable to repair/maintain. Never buy parts from your local dealer without first checking prices on Partsouq and McGeorge. AHC parts are known for having literal 200%+ markups at some dealers. Don't give the zero-value-add middleman your money if you can avoid it. :)

Your AHC is woefully broken and "only I can fix it".

Sell me your rig for $3k to save yourself the troubles.

AHC pressures: Yes, that's very high. Height sensors indicate it's in N, so I think the values are valid.

Two things come to mind:

1. Perhaps the sensors were adjusted to give it a "sensor lift". If somebody did that and failed to re-adjust the front torsion bars and add a spacer in the rear, you'd end up with pressures like this. Is your first picture in your post with the car in H? It looks awfully high if that's N.

Or

2. The front T-bars and rear springs are really just that worn.

Start by measuring heights first. All you need is a tape measure. If the N heights are too high, simply slide the brackets down in their slot to get N back into spec. Then you can re-measure pressures and adjust as needed.

See the cheat sheet and AHC walkthrough here: AHC Info - https://www.yotamd.com/blogs/news/ahc-info

There's also a great thread on this forum called something like ABCs of AHC. The first page of that thread is gold. Give it a read.

The only thing that "kills" AHC from a practical standpoint is rust. If it's not ridiculously rusted, it's all very affordable to repair/maintain. Never buy parts from your local dealer without first checking prices on Partsouq and McGeorge. AHC parts are known for having literal 200%+ markups at some dealers. Don't give the zero-value-add middleman your money if you can avoid it. :)
Thank you so much for all the info! I suppose this is mostly what these forums are for, but still. Yes, photo was in H. I will have to look into all of this more specifically in the coming days when I have a minute. Love this kind of community!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom