Introduction and help seeking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, been lurking on here for a long time but have finally made the first step of my end goal. About a month ago I bought a 1988 FJ62 from a member on here, Orion, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've done a few cosmetic things to it but nothing major as of yet but I am looking to address a mechanical issue. I was informed when I bought it about the issue and was fine with it but would like to try and pinpoint it and fix the problem. It seems that there is excessive noise from the transfer case. It isn't grinding but is more of a whirring/droning noise. I can feel the noise through the T-Case shifter and from reading other threads I have found other people have had the same issues. It seems to get louder the faster I am going and still remains when I let off the gas to slow down unless I just barely depress the gas pedal. 4wd engages fine and doesn't seem to make any unusual noise from the little bit I have had it engaged. I was hoping to possibly get some help or a list of things I could check or cross off the list to come to a solution on how to fix the problem. Picture for attention. Thanks

20201212_075944.jpg

First thing is to start with a clean slate and rule out one variable — drain the oil from the transfer case and refill with new.
Maybe the oil level is too high or too low or contaminated with ATF. Best to rule those simple things out before digging in deeper.
If new oil at the correct level doesn't help, the transfer case sounds like it needs to be rebuilt. Sounds daunting but it's actually pretty easy to do.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about the rebuild and looked into the process and watched a couple videos and it didn't look too bad. The only issue I could possibly come up with was not pulling the transmission to rebuild it and possibly the press needed. I just wasn't sure if there is a laundry list of possible problems to check before committing to the rebuild. I'll check the fluid tomorrow and report back. Thank you

Well the transfer case fluid has been changed and I took it for a quick drive and it definitely sounds better. I'm also going to change front and rear differential fluid while I'm at it just because I bought extra. Hopefully that clears up a little more noise as well. Below is what came out of my transfer case. Should I be concerned? Thanks
20210103_101337.jpg

good you got the old stuff changed out... welcome to cruiser ownership. My driveline / transfer case gear set makes noise (kind of whines) but that has to do more with mileage on the truck. Since the vehicle is new to you, I suggest you inspect all of your coolant lines. If they are old / suspect / original plan on changing them all out. These vehicles are 30+ years old and past the warranty period on those lines. If one blows on the highway, your only indicator is a rising temp gauge. There is not idiot light for temp. I personally drive like an airline pilot and visually sweep all the gauges as I go along frequently.

If your auto transmission does not have an external cooler, consider adding one. There can be a failure of the radiator (which is used to cool the transmission) that would cause mixing coolant and trans fluid (not good). I would consider severing that link for safety's sake. Plus the external cooler will do a good job of keeping the trans temps down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom