Introduction and another Oil Pressure question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ehouli

Threads
Hey there!

I am from Venezuela and bought a 2004 (we had FZJ80s in production until 2007) a couple of weeks before we got quarantined. I had a 1993 one 18 years ago and I really missed it after having bought a 3 Door Prado where I got rolled over because someone didn't check the steering components of their car and bumped me in the rear left wheel in the highway and then had regular cars for a while until finding this FZJ80.

Burbuja 2.jpg

Well now with the question, I have been searching if someone has the same issue I have. When I bought it the oil gage was working but not as it should, the when to 3/4 when starting the engine cold but it went lower than half after driving a few minutes and didn't vary when when revving around 2,000 - 2,500 RPM in highway.

Then I decided to replace the sparkplugs and wires. I did but in doing so I found it was easier if I sat inside the engine bay and accidentally disconnected the oil pressure sending unit wire, after looking around where the unit is and the cable was hanging near, found the previous owner had replaced the unit and the connector actually had two connectors, the original one and a spade connector, and it seemed to me as if the generic one was inside the original, so decided to keep the generic one that was easier to adjust tightly in the unit.

After that, when I turn the switch to the ON position the gauge goes all the way up before starting the engine, it doesn't move from there after the engine is inoperating temperature. The engine it has right now is a 10w40, the oil filter is Toyota, the engine makes no weird noises but I am not comfortable with the Oil Pressure needle not varying with the engine revs.

Sorry for the long write and thanks for reading and any clue is appreciated.

Last edited:
Hola and welcome to MUD !!

Hola and welcome to MUD !!

Hola! thanks for the Welcome!

are the two wires reversed?

Thank you! Ok there is the problem I thought the previous owner did a funny job and thought he inserted two wires into that connector. I still have the grey connector with me but will need to repair it. How are both connectors inserted in it?

Hi there,

Well, I took the harness out and noticed (well it scared the S**t out of me) the bad repair the previous owner had done with it, it was badly soldered together, the wires are too old and the heat already made them almost unusable. I did my best to recover it and stick it back together, now the needle won't go all the way up, it stays low and barely moves, so the best bet is to replace the wire.

The sending unit is the one with two connectors, will the harness part no. 82221-60020 work?

You had “Regular cars” after the Prado... just now I realized how epic an adjective the word regular could be.

You had “Regular cars” after the Prado... just now I realized how epic an adjective the word regular could be.

I had a Corolla and a Mazda 6, no off roading for a very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom