Introduction - 1984 BJ42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought my dream car, an 84 BJ42LV in decent shape, workable condition, and drivable. I'll post photos soon. It's the red one in my profile image.

Actual mileage is unknown (OD stopped at 349k Km) so I was hoping some of you Cruiser gurus could point me in the right direction regarding first steps. I am grateful for any guidance given.

The basics:
Transmission & transfer case flush
Change oil in both differentials
Change engine oil

Have checked:
U-Joints
Wheel bearings
Brakes
Engine mounts

Soon:
OME Suspension (mine is pretty much flat)
Tie Rods/Center Steering Links
Knuckle Rebuilds
T Case Reseal Re-bearing

If this preliminary list needs anything added, feedback is greatly appreciated!

And finally, the ghost in the machine:: Front/rear turn signals are all over the map. Forward right turn signal works (only). Brake lights work. Everything else in the rear burns out immediately. I purchased the exact bulbs as specified in the original manual. From what I read online it could be a bad ground. I could use a wiring diagram and details on correct voltage at the sockets, and just general advice here. Thanks.

F04B17FD-4124-464B-B614-BD639E59C7C9.jpeg

Where is it from? How much rust/bondo does it have? When was it painted?

It looks like a pretty good BJ40, I have a BJ40 myself. It looks pretty solid, just make sure it works before you start throwing mods at it

Not sure when it was painted. Was told it had only one small spot that was repaired for rust in the back. It’s originally from Canada, spent a few years in Oregon, and now California. Not wanting to mod it much. Rather keep it mostly stock and healthy. What all have you done to your BJ?

Canadian market should have the H55F five speed. Does it have power steering and A/C? PTO winch is also nice. Does it have the two direct push button shifter for the PTO?

Not sure when it was painted. Was told it had only one small spot that was repaired for rust in the back. It’s originally from Canada, spent a few years in Oregon, and now California. Not wanting to mod it much. Rather keep it mostly stock and healthy. What all have you done to your BJ?
Mine was repainted a long time ago, so the rust is pretty visible, which is good for me. Currently, I’m just trying to get mine running, but it has minimal bondo and not terrible rust for a South American bj40

I had a hj45 that had a recent paint job that covered a lot of rust and bondo. Thank goodness I got rid of it. Diesel trucks are a gamble buying. Sounds like you got a good one

Anyone have experience with J40 wiring (specifically turn signals)? Guessing its corrosion somewhere. I just need to track it down. Odd though how some lights work (rear brake, right front side marker), some initially then blow out quickly (rear tail/forward and rear turn, back up), others not at all (front parking/running).

I have the same year truck. My signal lights were chaffing on the inner fender blowing the fuse.

My 1980 hj45 was prone to the brake lights literally getting unplugged from the electrical system. Always check the easy stuff first

In regards to OEM Toyota parts, how critical is the second string of numbers? For example, I am looking for a set of rear turn signal housings, Left and Right. On a Japanese parts site (based on my VIN) it says I need a 81550-60243 and 81560-60163. On Ebay there is an OEM set numbered 81550-60232 and 81560-60152. First string of numbers is spot on. Second string is close, but not identical. However, according to Ebay this set is compatible.

Not sure how you posted #9 post but I can't quote it.

Up until 10/82 the PTO shifter had a lock mount to the transmission cover to prevent it from accidentally engaging it. 10/82 it was double put button to move it. One on the top and a section on the front side.
016.JPG

These were always manually shift. After 78 a PTO winch was never offered as an option in the US market.

What this thread is missing is more pictures, especially of the interior. You are lucky having a legally imported diesel BJ42 in California. Tough to do anymore.

Anyone have experience with J40 wiring (specifically turn signals)? Guessing its corrosion somewhere. I just need to track it down. Odd though how some lights work (rear brake, right front side marker), some initially then blow out quickly (rear tail/forward and rear turn, back up), others not at all (front parking/running).
I rewired my entire truck with everything new. And I mean everything. The truck is pretty much fully restored and no matter what I do, the indicators sometimes just dont want to work. What is odd though is that the right hand signal will not flash when the truck is stationary but, will flash when on the throttle so Im thinking there is some shenanigans going on with the relay. I just cant figure it out though because its all brand new stuff.

Might try Coolerman’s LED flasher. Helps with any ground issues and works with incandescent bulbs. No idea if you can use it on a 24v. Maybe shoot him an email. Go to link below then click Flasher Relay/Adapters.

Really nice truck, and I could tell from your first picture with the palm and craftsman house in the background you where local. I have the same tree and a similar craftsman just over the border from you to the South in Oaktown. Been updating my 69 FJ40 over the last several years by swapping in as much as I can from a stripped down 84' FJ60 but still won't end up with a diesel and a five speed when I'm done. Also you are most likely the Mud member closest to me and your vehicle stands out so I'm likely to see you around at some point and may flag you down to talk Cruiser.

Here's a link to my build.

Oh and welcome! :flipoff2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom