Introduction - 1974 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 74 FJ40 named the Billie Goat as my daily driver. She is teaching me a lot. :) I recently installed power steering, replaced lots of weatherstrips, and learned how many washers the driver's side catch needed to keep the door from randomly opening while driving (Billie has a 75 tub which does not like the 74 door). I am currently tying to figure out how to keep the hood hooks from scratching off more paint and searching for a good FJ40 manual. Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress in this forum.

fj40 profile.png

Looks nice, I can hardly wait to replace all the body cancer on mine.

Back in 1982 I got my 72 FJ-40 Elsie as my first car. It has a 76 hard top, I like the doors.

I had the Hanes wiring diagram enlarged and then laminated. I made my own header/intake stepped washers. I cut a flat blade screwdriver slot in the top inside bolt of the clutch master cylinder.

I have a 74 FJ40 named the Billie Goat as my daily driver. She is teaching me a lot. :) I recently installed power steering, replaced lots of weatherstrips, and learned how many washers the driver's side catch needed to keep the door from randomly opening while driving (Billie has a 75 tub which does not like the 74 door). I am currently tying to figure out how to keep the hood hooks from scratching off more paint and searching for a good FJ40 manual. Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress in this forum.

Welcome to the forum! You have the right color Cruiser to start with.

The hood hooks should have rubber bumpers on them, though it is hard to keep paint on the little cups they hook into, if that's what you mean.

The Toyota factory service manuals are by far the best paper resource. There are engine, chassis, and emissions manuals. There are quite a few scanned PDF copies around for free, if you can't find the actual paper ones.

I have a 74 FJ40
74 is my favorite year. Last year of the F engine and first year of the 4-speed. The "transition year " transfer case can take the 3-speed gears for a whopping 6% crawl ratio improvement! The Late F head can go on a 2F block for improved compression, and stuff.
An adequate shop manual can be found fairly quickly and cheaply at your local auto parts store.
The Haynes manual. Not great, better than nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom