Introducing the Deathmobile, 74 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been a member here for a long time w/ very few posts. I've had my FJ40 since '91. Figured it was time that I posted some pics of the rig - The Deathmobile. It's named this b/c the PO / my good buddy did a spring over and made a curved drag link. When you gassed it, you went left, when you braked, you dove to the right. I could really scare some people including myself. I fixed it from an online thread I found by making a double steering arm.

I kept the wagon wheels and put 35x12.50x15 tires on it. I have all three tops ( Bikini from JC Whitney, a soft top and a hard top ). All I ever do anymore is leave the bikini on and park it in the shed during the winter with a cover over it. It has a SBC 400 w/ a TH400 tranny stuffed inside. A Howe alum radiator solved the overheating problem. You'll notice that it currently is only rear wheel drive. I have the OEM 4 speed w/ transfer case in the shed but I like the automatic better. I also have a TH350 tranny w/ an NP205. I just need to buy a centered diff rear axle - Prob a TRD w/ an e-locker if I can find one. Then mount the 350/205 combo to the back of the SBC. Someday.

B/f I bought it off my friend, my buddy broke the "Toyota" portion off the logo's on the side cowls b/c he's not a fan of Toyota - but yet he owned this rig, go figure. I really gave him heck for that. I just haven't spent the $$$ to replace them.

I put on some headlight grill's ( from JC Whitney ) and bought some used new style turn signals off the message boards. The foam on the roll bars comes from Ace Hardware. I also used about a gallon of POR-15 and did nearly everything underneath, bumpers, roll bar, the floor and inside rear. I put a UV resistant top coat on anything that sees the sun. No regrets at all using the POR.

FJ40 back left.png

FJ40 front left.png

FJ40 front right.png

Last edited:
I purchased some old style long jump seats since I like the look of them better than the narrow ones. I made some plate steel mounts bolted to under the roll bar. The plate's extend into the tub enough for the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the jump seats to rest on. now I can fit two kids on each side when we go driving around during the evenings.

FJ40 back seats.png

Last edited:
Here is the double steering arm I fab'd from the tech thread. The thread simply says to drill out the holes large enough to tighten the bolts on the lower arm. That is some hardened steel, the machine shop I went to had a difficult time drilling out those holes. We welded the top one to the lower one and added a gusset for strength. This solved all the steering prob's that I had. FYI, my 70+ yr old father is a better welder than I am and his eyes are better than mine as well. HA.

I don't want to see the shock mount on any shame posts.

FJ40 double steering arm.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SMG
The kids didn't like the bikini straps hitting their heads so I wrapped them down, around and back to the front windshield where I attached them to the hard top mount. It's also a cheap way to get the safari look. One of the reasons I decided to get around to posting is that I've seen lots of pics of rigs that have these straps going back hitting the rear passengers. I have had no problems with mounting it this way. I also put on a couple hand holds in the middle of the roll bar.

You can see where I added a new DS door window regulator. From posts here, I used Ace Hardware Regal Red spray paint. Note that it's close to the faded Freeborn Red the PO did. This 40 was the factory Deep Green and later sprayed with Freeborn Red as is evident in all the paint peeling's. The look doesn't bother me, actually I kind of like it. Very unique.

This is the door handle assembly that needed replacing b/c the metal holding the latch tight( at the 90 degree upper corner ) was actually tearing.

Anyone else have trouble with their ankle flexing enough to drive these things. After years of sprained ankles, mine just don't bend enough. You can see the 2x4 block of wood that I rest my foot/heal on when driving or specifically idling around town.

FJ40 left door open.png

Last edited:
I wanted some side rails but everything that I saw was too long or too expensive. I was at a farm show and saw an auto tech display w/ some receiver steps. I was wanting them as side rails and wanted to buy his display items. He came up with the idea of getting a bolt on receiver and just buying some receiver steps to use for my side rails. So I did. I thanked him the following year.

We welded on a receiver to the existing hitch. I drilled a 1/4" hole toward the rear of it to store the receiver hook. This way I always have it and the kids don't skewer themselves on it when getting in and out.

I just added the exhaust pipe and tip out to the left corner like OEM. Not near as many fumes now b/c it was just straight toward the back middle. Of course this rig always has a "smell" to it. Every time I meet a state trooper they always pull me over thinking it'll be an easy ticket for something. It's always been a warning for side mirrors ( Not required till 75 ), seat / shoulder belts ( not OEM ) and a question about the smell. It's a combo of cat pee, carbon monoxide, gas fumes and who knows what else.

FJ40 receiver step.png

FJ40 rear hitch.png

Last edited:
I tried everything out there to get the dash knobs bright and white. Latex and oil based paints didn't work. Finally just went and got a white crayon from the kids school bag and that worked incredible. Also, I can just keep the crayon in the glove box and touch up the knobs whenever they start to get dingy.

The ash tray is still full of change from '91. One of these days I really should look through it - never really have. I added some empty AK-47 shells to it though.

I pulled the old dial stereo and went to mount the two knob stereo I bought off ebay. It wouldn't fit. I had this cubby from an extra stereo I bought for my 91 Camry. With a little grinding on some plastic mounting points, it fits pretty good. I still need to put a stereo in it once I figure it out.

FJ40 dash.png

FJ40 open ash tray.png

Last edited:
Not sure where this door handle came from. It's not the regular door handle that I could get. It's not away from the door enough and rubs.

I looked everywhere for a fuel door lock with no luck. Finally, I went to Ace Hardware and bought a cheap mailbox lock. I had to bend the locking tab a slight bit but it worked really nicely. Cost about $3 I think. Took me 20 years to figure that one out. grrrrrrr!!!!!

FJ40 right door closed.png

Like that bikini top idea!

What is the benefit of the double steering arm?

What is the benefit of the double steering arm?

When the curved drag link ( going from a higher to lower elevation on the front ) was on it and you gunned it causing the front to rise, the curved link would twist causing the steering to turn itself left a bit. The opposite occurred during braking when the nose would lower causing an involuntary turn to the right. I think this would have occurred even with a straight drag link. You want the tie rod and the drag link parallel. The double steering arm raises up where the drag link attaches. By getting a second steering arm and welding it upside down raises the connection enough to make the drag link parallel to the tie rod. This would help eliminate bump steer as well.

I'm by no means an expert on front ends. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Usually referred to as bump steer. It is caused be connecting rods being at an extreme angle.

Anyone else having issues seeing pics? Could just be my crappy conection

Here's my opinions (that are very easy to ignore). If I owned your rig, I'd:
(1) Install a 700R4 instead of a TH350 or ThH400 just to get the lower 1st gear and Overdrive high gear.
(2) I'd remove the side bars with mounting hardware to improve ground clearance & eliminate a zillion pounds.
(3) I'd tuck the receiver hitch up closer to the bottom of the frame to improve departure angle.

Nice 40! Good to see another '74 in Kansas.

My passenger side door handle was making a racket at every bump. I tried to tighten up the rivet a bit w/ a hammer on a vise but that was a waste of time. Ended up copying someone here: drilled a hole in the middle of a plastic bottle cap, cut the top off w/ a pie shaped cutout into the middle. Slid it behind the door handle and it worked great. I also purchased a new drivers side door handle assembly. The original was actually tearing the medal where it held the sliding latch keeping the door from latching tightly.

Here's a pic of me taking the girls for a spin around town. I totally enjoy seeing the look on their faces when I take a kid/niece/nephew/kids friend out for a drive. I never move till I have confirmation of all wearing seatbelts. After a bit of driving and at a stop sign, I get all concerned about the police and if my brake lights are working. I ask whomever is in the back to check my brake lights and when they lean over I gun it. HAHAHA They'd be out if not for the seat belts. Ahhhh fun times.

Hard to believe there was a time when I had three car seats strapped in the back.

FJ40 girls 1.png

Last edited:
Finally found a place for the radio. Gotta love zip ties. Guess I won't wire up the glove box plug now.

BTW 10 years ago I found what I believe is an FJ40 OEM trouble light with wooden handle in my grandparents porch closet. Figure my Grandfather picked it up at some auction. I just have it sitting on a shelf in the garage but it sure looks neat.

FJ40 radio 1.png

FJ40 trouble light.png

Last edited:
I realize that the Warn VR8000 winch is a recreational user level quality but that is all I do. A couple weeks ago my wife mentioned that I ought to get a winch for the 40 = So I did. She was surprised that it only took her mentioning it for me to put one on. I haven't ran the cable out and rewound it under tension yet.

A prior PO must have installed a small little ATV winch behind the bumper and made the cutout for it. I'll just call that winch version 1.0 and the Warn winch version 2.0.

With the extra weight of the winch and CCOT mounting plate, my MPG may drop to 6.25 mpg from 6.5mpg. HA Seriously though, I could tell the front is a bit heavy now from driving when it's just me in the 40.

You can come up with your own Winch / Wench joke. LOL

FJ40 no winch.png

FJ40 winch 1.png

Diane 2.jpg

Last edited:
I've been a member here for a long time w/ very few posts. I've had my FJ40 since '91. Figured it was time that I posted some pics of the rig - The Deathmobile. It's named this b/c the PO / my good buddy did a spring over and made a curved drag link. When you gassed it, you went left, when you braked, you dove to the right. I could really scare some people including myself. I fixed it from an online thread I found by making a double steering arm.

I kept the wagon wheels and put 35x12.50x15 tires on it. I have all three tops ( Bikini from JC Whitney, a soft top and a hard top ). All I ever do anymore is leave the bikini on and park it in the shed during the winter with a cover over it. It has a CSB 400 w/ a TH400 tranny stuffed inside. A Howe alum radiator solved the overheating problem. You'll notice that it currently is only rear wheel drive. I have the OEM 4 speed w/ transfer case in the shed but I like the automatic better. I also have a TH350 tranny w/ an NP205. I just need to buy a centered diff rear axle - Prob a TRD w/ an e-locker if I can find one. Then mount the 350/205 combo to the back of the CSB. Someday.

B/f I bought it off my friend, my buddy broke the "Toyota" portion off the logo's on the side cowls b/c he's not a fan of Toyota - but yet he owned this rig, go figure. I really gave him heck for that. I just haven't spent the $$$ to replace them.

I put on some headlight grill's ( from JC Whitney ) and bought some used new style turn signals off the message boards. The foam on the roll bars comes from Ace Hardware. I also used about a gallon of POR-15 and did nearly everything underneath, bumpers, roll bar, the floor and inside rear. I put a UV resistant top coat on anything that sees the sun. No regrets at all using the POR.

View attachment 1513478

View attachment 1513479

View attachment 1513480

I am glad you finally started posting pics about your 40. My 40 is a 73 and I also have a 400 SBC in it. Luckily I have never had any issues with overheating. Your 40 is looking good.

Just installed some 7" LED 75w Daymaker DRL headlights today, ebay $82. Really simple to do. Make sure to get CXD-M75-A so they are oriented correctly. I originally received CXD-M75-C and they only fit up side down. The seller refunded my return postage and sent me the correct ones. This pic is actually of the first incorrect ones but the right ones are very similar, can't hardly tell the difference.

74 LED headlights.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom