Introducing the BJJCruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice looking shoes! Let us know how they do for you over the next couple of months. I’ll be looking for a set before hitting the west end of the TAT this summer.

Oh, and the engine looks great above too. Sub’d

Finally changed my AHC fluid. This made a HUGE difference in the ride quality. I did measure my pressures before I changed the fluid, but I haven't checked since I changed the fluid. The issues I had with the ride quality are gone now. There was no mention of AHC fluid change in the maintenance history I have, so I am assuming this was the original fluid. Seriously, if you have a working AHC, change your fluid. It's an easy job if you follow @PADDO's 1 can fluid change instructions. A quick search will turn up plenty of results. I tried to source my AHC fluid from my local dealership, but they wanted around $300 for a can! A quick Google search turned up $14 quarts. I ordered 3 and had a very uneventful fluid change.
Pro tip, take a piece of the hose you are going to use on your bleeders and insert it into a turkey baster. This gave me access to basically 100% of the fluid in the reservoir with the vehicle in Low and turned off. The airline I was using to hook to the bleeder screw was a little small, so I boiled some water and soaked it for a minute. This gave it the pliability to fit over the bleeders. Fill the reservoir with fresh fluid, drain all fluid from the height accumulator, front damper and then rear damper all on the drivers side frame rail. This sat the vehicle all the way on the bump stops. Next I started the vehicle, waited about a minute, and the cycled the system back to normal. I then turned off the vehicle and did small bleed on the passenger side dampers to check for air in the system.

This was part of what I pulled from the change.
20180317_123046.jpg

Decided I had a few hours this evening to work on getting the drivers door handle to work from the inside. I found the culprit:
20180320_183635.jpg

Anyone have a good repair for this? I'm thinking this calls for a replacement. I'll be looking around the forum for easy instructions on replacing this cable. I haven't looked to hard on how it attaches on the other end.

I had a nasty "clunk" when rolling down my window. I examined this, and found a super loose bolt. Like, maybe 2 threads left.
20180320_183057.jpg

I tightened it up and no more clunk! Score!

Next, I found this hanging loose. Anyone know what it's for? I am assuming it fastens to the back of the lock cylinder. Maybe for an alarm feature?
20180320_183200.jpg

I told my wife I didn't want to take the door panel off multiple times, but it looks like ill have to put this back together tonight and order some parts.

Decided I had a few hours this evening to work on getting the drivers door handle to work from the inside. I found the culprit:View attachment 1658680

Anyone have a good repair for this? I'm thinking this calls for a replacement. I'll be looking around the forum for easy instructions on replacing this cable. I haven't looked to hard on how it attaches on the other end.

I had a nasty "clunk" when rolling down my window. I examined this, and found a super loose bolt. Like, maybe 2 threads left. View attachment 1658677

I tightened it up and no more clunk! Score!

Next, I found this hanging loose. Anyone know what it's for? I am assuming it fastens to the back of the lock cylinder. Maybe for an alarm feature?View attachment 1658678

I told my wife I didn't want to take the door panel off multiple times, but it looks like ill have to put this back together tonight and order some parts.

did the cable itself break? Tough to see in that picture. Could you recrimp the wire into the aluminum end piece? It's basically shifter cable off a bike

did the cable itself break? Tough to see in that picture. Could you recrimp the wire into the aluminum end piece? It's basically shifter cable off a bike
Unfortunately the cable itself is broken. The only thing I can think if is to solder it back, but im not sure if this would hold. I may try that later this week as my only decent soldering iron is at work. If I can't get it to hold, it looks like I'll be purchasing a door latch assembly :(:(

Well this is my solution:
20180322_191212.jpg

I tried to solver solder the old piece to the cable, but ended up ruining the cast aluminum hook. I took some stainless rod, formed it into a hook, and welded it to the cable. Im not sure about the strength of the weld due to the thin strands of cable so I also coated it in JB weld prior to installation. The good news is it now works!

Last weekend I had some free time, and my brother, sister, and sister in law wanted to go camping, so off we went! I got some great GAIA maps from @Izzyandsue, and had a fantastic trail guide by the name of @forrest5000. Friday afternoon we loaded up the LX and headed to Old NC 105 to camp. There were some fantastic sites along the side of the dirt road, but I can see that place getting pretty busy when the weather is nice. It was perfect camping weather for me. 60's in the day and low 30's at night. Warm enough to be comfortable, but cold enough to enjoy a fire.
Mountain view.PNG

We woke up early Saturday morning to go meet @forrest5000 to attempt the Richland Road trail. My friend Jamie met us at a gas station in his triple locked Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was pretty worried about the stock LX making the trail, but it did fantastic! I have read over and over again that these vehicles will surprise you in stock form, but until you experience it for yourself you'll never truly know. I now have complete confidence in this rig.
Cruiser hill climb.PNG

After our ride, @forrest5000 led us to a fantastic BBQ spot in Boone, NC. We talked about our ride and things that I need to improve on. We talked about gear that I need, mods I should do, and driving techniques I could improve on. We determined the only true mod I need is sliders, and that's so I am not constantly paranoid about getting rocker damage. I am concerned about the price of available sliders, and am thinking about buying a DIY kit. Adapting the kit to work for my application shouldn't be that tough. If anyone has ideas, please let me know.
Meeting after the hill climb.PNG

Prime example of a needed tool: took me forever to air down until someone bailed me out.
Air down.PNG

Camping the second night was great. We were getting used to unpacking, and I was surprised at how fast and efficiently we found a place for everything. I discovered I do want a better storage option, but I am not sold on drawers as we occasionally need the third row seats. I'm leaning towards some Rigid cases that could be mounted on a roof rack if needed.

Overall, a great experience I hope to repeat very soon.

A few more pictures of the weekend. My dog, Annie, loved it. This was her first camping experience and I must say, she is a natural.
Annie in the cruiser.PNG

Even though its a Jeep, my buddy Jamie has a nice setup. His triple locked WK had no problems, other than exercising his sliders and skid plates.
James jeep creek crossing.PNG

In the distance you can see @forrest5000's LX450. It's quite a machine. We didn't get too many pictures of his rig due to him being first in line and me being last. He was an excellent guide and obviously a seasoned wheeler.

James jeep creek exit.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom