Introducing myself. Not sure what I got myself into. Some help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 1975 FJ-40 on a whim. Probably overpaid, once I got it into the cold light of day. runs great, shifts great, clutch is great. No leaks and the engine compartment is pretty clean for an old vehicle. All the stacks of receipts seem to support that this thing is low mileage. Dunno. A lot can happen in 40-something years.

im in the process of ordering all new weatherstripping. I made have blown that since I went with the aftermarkets from Cool Cruisers For the front doors. You all apparently recommend OEM. I do have OEM coming for the rear hatch. Still need spacer gaskets for bottom half double doors.

here is the rub. I’m not sure what I have. Mine has rear doors from an older FJ? They are not the ambulance doors. My plan is to fix the steering joints, seal against weather and just slowly tinker with the thing to see if I even like it. I’ve always wanted one ever since a girlfriend‘s dad showed me what his could do in very rough terrain. I know myself - I tend to go hard at it and obsess. Hehe. I don’t want a full blown resto project. I can’t afford that.

it’s missing roll-bar (do they all have them?)
and the spare tire carrier is MIA. Both items I will search for.

im really going to need you all helping. I apparently don’t know squat. Funny thing. I remember that old FJ, but can’t remember the ex-GF’s name. Ahh, early college days.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

a WAG is someone may have swapped the tub for an older model that didn't have a rollbar, they started in the US in 1973?
what do the jump seats look like?

you may need some brake work as the resevoirs look empty.
does the door plate # match the # on the right front frame?
front door is newer than 75
does it have disc brakes up front?
also missing the rear side light for a 75

a WAG is someone may have swapped the tub for an older model that didn't have a rollbar, they started in the US in 1973?
what do the jump seats look like?

you may need some brake work as the resevoirs look empty.
does the door plate # match the # on the right front frame?
front door is newer than 75
does it have disc brakes up front?
also missing the rear side light for a 75
No disc brakes. I’ll look for the frame #. Thanks.

image.jpg

No disc brakes. I’ll look for the frame #. Thanks.

View attachment 2232852

those are the early long jump seats, no room for a rollbar with them in the stock position, the jump seats need to be spaced out for rollbar clearance
I'm still thinking it is an earlier tub, mid year 1970 and older is my guess.
how about pics of the dash and brake master area?

those are the early long jump seats, no room for a rollbar with them in the stock position, the jump seats need to be spaced out for rollbar clearance
I'm still thinking it is an earlier tub, mid year 1970 and older is my guess.
how about pics of the dash and brake master area?
Thanks for taking the time for answers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Would need a picture of the underside of the rear wheel wells. Stamped louvers in the side of the cowl would be 72 model or newer. The door for the gas door would be 73 model or newer. The cowl vent thru the transmission cover with a heater were 75/76. 77 model and later with a heater did not have any sign of the cowl vent. 75/76 the vent would be welded closed. 2F was 1/75+ that air cleaner was only markets with emissions like NA. Converting a ambulance doors hard top to hatch is not hard. Same with the tub. Deleting the roll bar and adding long jump seats is not hard. The upside-down bumperettes with reflectors behind them makes no sense. Overall don't see anything that strange.

Would need a picture of the underside of the rear wheel wells. Stamped louvers in the side of the cowl would be 72 model or newer. The door for the gas door would be 73 model or newer. The cowl vent thru the transmission cover with a heater were 75/76. 77 model and later with a heater did not have any sign of the cowl vent. 75/76 the vent would be welded closed. 2F was 1/75+ that air cleaner was only markets with emissions like NA. Converting a ambulance doors hard top to hatch is not hard. Same with the tub. Deleting the roll bar and adding long jump seats is not hard. The upside-down bumperettes with reflectors behind them makes no sense. Overall don't see anything that strange.

I was looking at the rear, there is no sign of the side marker light and no sign of the lower hinge for ambulance doors. maybe some body work was done instead of an older tub?

Welcome, you may want to check with @Racer65 for weatherstripping needs if the OEM is not available. He has a ton of good quality stuff on his website.

I was looking at the rear, there is no sign of the side marker light and no sign of the lower hinge for ambulance doors. maybe some body work was done instead of an older tub?

If you look above the right tail light you can tell the tubs has had work done. How the B pillar door latch looks could tell if that part of the tub is pre 1/75 or later.

Brake booster is the one-year, 1975 type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom