Intro_New member 76 fj40 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thank you for allowing me to register,

My latest project is my 76 fj40 I have owned for 12 years.
Already came with a 350 installed out of N Carolina. Decided
to start the refresh. I have come here often in the past but had nothing
contribute. Thanks for all of the information on this forum.
218559_10150169220321188_6239783_o.jpg

Thank you for allowing me to register,

My latest project is my 76 fj40 I have owned for 12 years.
Already came with a 350 installed out of N Carolina. Decided
to start the refresh. I have come here often in the past but had nothing
contribute. Thanks for all of the information on this forum.
View attachment 3173453
Looks like a great rig. Good luck on your refresh. BTW: more pictures would be appreciated.

Making progress. Not much rust on the body. Only rear corners. Frame is excellent.
Already returning to stock height by placing axles back over the leaf springs.
IMG_3293.jpeg
IMG_3295.jpeg
IMG_3291.jpeg

Looking great! Tell us about your shop! I'm curious why you didn't paint the firewall.

Looking great! Tell us about your shop! I'm curious why you didn't paint the firewall.
Hey, thanks, my shop is literally nothing but my farm in Great Falls, Virginia and I paint on a dirt floor

To be honest with you I really did not want to take out the wiring harness or the brake lines although, in hindsight, it would’ve been an easy thing to do.

She’s not done yet, so it could still still happen

Btw: I sand blasted the whole area. I use a small blaster and can control the flow pretty well. After blasting the firewall I washed it down and quickly shot it with 2k clear coat until I figure out what to do.

So many pressing issues that I need to work out.

I had to replace the entire rear sheet metal including the rear sill

Revert the axles to be over the leaf springs.
Weld in patch panels (rust).
Repair the wiring harness.
Replace frozen clutch.
Replaced older motor mount setup.
Steering was a nightmare. Had to kit steel to get to the rubber coupling they used then reinforced the front crossmember.

I have 3 pressing problems left.

1. I need to figure out my wiring so my SBC stops when I shut off the ignition with the key.

2. With no drive shafts in, my transfer case lever only moves left to right. There is no forward movement on the shift lever. The PO had a shift ball that only lists 4h - 4L so maybe they modified the transfer case. With the motor running only the rear wheel drive works.

3. The SBC conversion was done poorly using a Downey setup.
The transmission mounts have no rubber spacers. I have to fix that as well.

After I remove all brake lines I’ll do my final paint touchups.

Oof I thought this would go quickly.

Hey, thanks, my shop is literally nothing but my farm in Great Falls, Virginia and I paint on a dirt floor

To be honest with you I really did not want to take out the wiring harness or the brake lines although, in hindsight, it would’ve been an easy thing to do.

She’s not done yet, so it could still still happen
I hope that didn't come off as me being critical! It looks awesome! I always say it's your build, there are no wrongs :)

I hope that didn't come off as me being critical! It looks awesome! I always say it's your build, there are no wrongs :)
Not at all! Thank you for the support

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom