Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
steelheadoutfitters.com
Hello, I've got a 1985 FJ60. I've had this rig about fifteen years. I also follow cruisers on IG and did looking at cool stuff. I'm a fishing guide in Oregon and Washington and I love mountain biking.

Right now I've got some noise going from under the hood and I think it's the alternator. I'm told this forum can help me with all thing land cruiser.

Anyone who could rec commend a place to get an alternator, sure do appreciate it.

alternator.jpeg

Welcome to the right place for Land Cruiser tech.
Please verify that it is indeed the alternator- you could check the voltage gauge in the dash- should read just about 14V when running, also you could loosen the belt to the alt. and spin the pulley by hand to see if the noise is present. Please describe the noise- it could be from the power steering, the vane (smog) pump or the water pump, or just from the belts themselves.

Welcome to the right place for Land Cruiser tech.
Please verify that it is indeed the alternator- you could check the voltage gauge in the dash- should read just about 14V when running, also you could loosen the belt to the alt. and spin the pulley by hand to see if the noise is present. Please describe the noise- it could be from the power steering, the vane (smog) pump or the water pump, or just from the belts themselves.
it could be any of those things. I took the belt off and the pull doesn't spin freely very well but neither does the powersteering bully. Sounds like a bad bearing and makes there most noise at idle.

Either get an automotive stethoscope or use a long-handled (very) screwdriver and with your ear on the end of the screwdriver place the other end on the alt while running and see if that's the source of the noise.

You can remove you alternator and take to a local rebuilder, or buy from pretty much most auto parts stores. Just make sure the regulator is clocked correctly. And you'll probably want to replace the regulator at the same time (that's the square thing on the top of the alternator).

Either get an automotive stethoscope or use a long-handled (very) screwdriver and with your ear on the end of the screwdriver place the other end on the alt while running and see if that's the source of the noise.

You can remove you alternator and take to a local rebuilder, or buy from pretty much most auto parts stores. Just make sure the regulator is clocked correctly. And you'll probably want to replace the regulator at the same time (that's the square thing on the top of the alternator).

Bought a stethoscope, the alternator for sure, almost blew my ear drums out.

Thanks

Local rebuilder if good is your bet bet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom