Intro to new Australian FJ62 owner/builder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. After years of new cars its was time for me to go old school. 60 series was always going to be my choice. Couple months back I picked up an 1986 FJ62. Would say in average condition but worthy of being rebuilt. Currently full steam ahead on rebuilding the old girl. Enjoying viewing other builds on here. Will create a bid threat to document my progress soon. Couple of pics of how she started and how she looks now.

MZKY9104.jpg

IMG_3530.JPG

Welcome aboard 😁

Hey, dont forget to re-apply seam-sealer. That edge part under the fender from the bottom of the windscreen is very common for water in the cab (Because it has no sealer on it). Good luck with rebuild, love seeing fellow 60's on Aussie roads.

I may be biased but I think the round-eyed 62s are the best of both worlds.

Welcome aboard. Your wagon looks suspiciously like and FJ60
Hey, dont forget to re-apply seam-sealer. That edge part under the fender from the bottom of the windscreen is very common for water in the cab (Because it has no sealer on it). Good luck with rebuild, love seeing fellow 60's on Aussie roads.
There will be plenty of sealer going onto the old bus as I go. Haven't touched that area yet but it will all be striped back to metal, epoxy primed, sealed and painted. This is one area Toyota failed on the 60's.

I may be biased but I think the round-eyed 62s are the best of both worlds.
Agreed. Two must haves when I was looking for a 60 was round lights and drop down tailgate. I originally wanted diesel but after playing with the 3F was reminded how simple to work on and fix carbureted engines are. The old 6 pure like a kitten, albeit a thirsty one.

Welcome aboard. Your wagon looks suspiciously like and FJ60 😝
Yes it does. This is an Australian FJ62. Carbureted 3F, round lights, early dash. These run from 1985 - 1988. From 1988 they got the quad light, late dash upgrade but never got fuel injection in Australia.

Agreed. Two must haves when I was looking for a 60 was round lights and drop down tailgate. I originally wanted diesel but after playing with the 3F was reminded how simple to work on and fix carbureted engines are. The old 6 pure like a kitten, albeit a thirsty one.
You could do a Holley sniper if you want fairly straightforward EFI. My 62 has a 3F-E out of an FJ80 in her

You could do a Holley sniper if you want fairly straightforward EFI. My 62 has a 3F-E out of an FJ80 in her
I’ve been looking at the sniper but they seem to have mixed reviews. The 3FE would be a good option but may be harder to find. I think they are the least common motor in the 80’s. Most all seem to have the 1FZ or be diesel.

I’ve been looking at the sniper but they seem to have mixed reviews. The 3FE would be a good option but may be harder to find. I think they are the least common motor in the 80’s. Most all seem to have the 1FZ or be diesel.
Yeah, there aren't many 3F-E around but it is an easy swap. I probably wouldn't bother unless you wanted to keep everything Toyota. Trying to work with the factory ECU would be a pain I'd expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom