Intro to my LJ70, plus progress & upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When "Napoleon" showed up, I was very surprised to see that there was an intercooler installed. The guy I bought it from had not mentioned it and I never saw it in the few engine pics I got. I have not been able to find out anything about this particular intercooler but I am hopeful a forum member may have some info. The install is very tidy. If it weren't for the German internal wrenching allen bolts, it would like it was a factory installed unit. The brand is Huber and it has cast tanks similiar to what I have seen on intercooled Porsches. Here are a few pictures.
IMG_0709.jpg
IMG_0710.jpg
IMG_0710.jpg
IMG_7509.jpg
IMG_0708.jpg

Last edited:
Did the PO change the colour when it was repainted?

Somewhere along the way Napoleon lost his jack. A quick glance at the prices for bottle jacks and the bits that go with and I was navigating to the High Lift Jack page. On this compact model there just isn't much room for gear much less big heavy jacks! I opted for the 36" model as it would just fit in the right rear of the LJ without taking up any valuable storage room for everyday needs. Of course I had to get the neoprene cover AND why not get the gear box that mounts to the jack. More lockable storage right? In a soft top this is a necessity! I ordered it and then hoped the wife would continue to understand the sickness .... err, necessity for these items.

Last pic is of the kiddos. They love riding in the "new" land cruiser!
IMG_1422.jpg
IMG_0823.jpg

Next up for Napoleon was to add some Hella driving lights that I had sitting in the garage. I wasn't going to add any clutter to the front end as I liked the clean square look but there already was a factory fog light switch in there....not to mention those lights were just sitting in the garage so.... Since the driving lights are wired through the factory switch, they only come on when the low beams are on. The driving lights are only 55w so I can use them on the road without annoying oncoming traffic. The second pic is of a spare FJ40 front hook I had that I bolted to the bottom of the frame utilizing one factory captive nut and one freshly welded nut. This hook was needed since the original bumper and recovery points were missing.
IMG_1455.jpg
IMG_1490.jpg

So only a few improvements over the last couple of days. I needed some rear head rest for the LJ. The rear seat had the holes for the head rest but no head rest! I had a set from a later model FJ40 and they fit like a glove. So after a little cleaning... here they are. I also had anew "old man emu" steering stabilizer from an FJ80 laying around and figured it would fit the 70. Bolted right on...
IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1129.jpg
Sometimes you get a break!

When Napoleon arrived it had a 1.5 inch body lift on it. I had initially thought I would replace the lift with the stock mounts but I have since gotten use to the height, although my wife sort of falls out each time she gets out of the car. Anyway, I normally would add some slightly wider wheels and tires to account for the additional height but this engine has enough trouble turning over these 26 5/75 16 tires. Instead of moving up in tire width I added a set of 1.25" bolt on wheel spacers.

IMG_1262.jpg

So Napoleon is being driven daily as my commuter. I'm getting more familiar with it and finding it more economical / practical than the FJ40. One thing it shares with the 40 though is the line of traffic behind me on the highway. I'm driving 50 mph in both vehicles and it seems traffic wants to do 70 mph! I got passed the other day by an old lady driving an 80's "oldsmobuick" At least I d idn't get the finger this time!!
After driving in the rain a time or two I noticed that the BFG's were throwing water and mud on the side of the LJ. Since I couldn't find any factory mud flaps I decided to make a set. I used the factory mud flap mounting points so no drilling. I made them longer, then I made them shorter! I ultimately settled on sort of a medium length. I used stainless bolts, washers and screws attached to the factory square nylon inserts.

IMG_1573 (1).jpg
IMG_1574 (1).jpg

It is quite an adjustment when you drive these older 70 series cruisers. They are slow to take off. I usually get either 1) Thumbs up or 2) The "you are #1" finger.

It is quite an adjustment when you drive these older 70 series cruisers. They are slow to take off. I usually get either 1) Thumbs up or 2) The "you are #1" finger.

How true! I've found the least enjoyable part of the commute in either rig is keeping my eye on the person behind me....primarily at a stop light. For some reason the people behind me at the light don't understand I'm only going nine feet in first gear, then a relatively slow shift to second. Sometimes, I pretend I'm looking for something on the floor board as the car behind me roars past thus avoiding any eye contact.

How true! I've found the least enjoyable part of the commute in either rig is keeping my eye on the person behind me....primarily at a stop light. For some reason the people behind me at the light don't understand I'm only going nine feet in first gear, then a relatively slow shift to second. Sometimes, I pretend I'm looking for something on the floor board as the car behind me roars past thus avoiding any eye contact.
start in second.

I've been driving Napoleon daily now and really enjoying it. I got a chance to snap a few pics of the new driving lights. These are only 55 watts but I can use them in town without getting flashed by on coming cars so they are not overly bright or blinding. There is a big difference with them on.
eastside 2.jpg
eastside with LJ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom