Intro to an Aug ‘73 Original Owner FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's unique about the heater switches on a 73?

P.S. I looked at pics of your 73... sick ride! I love the white seats.
Sorry, separate Fan Switches (Front and Rear) only on 73 models. Those original white seat covers are trashed, have the Cruiser Corps corral seats now. :cool:

The roll-bar was dealer add-ons, or so I've been told. Eventually, Toyota picked up the slack. My '73 had one as well. It was like a piece of hot rolled angle steel at the foot, 45-degree angle on the back tube. Also unique are the footman loops on the hard top model tub and swing-outs, if I remember correctly.

The hubs on the front are not the usual Warn, or Aisan, locking types?
Interesting! My may 1973 fj40 has a rollbar... similar to the way you describe. I recently learned that it wasn't factory due to my jump seat frames being fabbed to fit it. I'm really curious how dealers installed these without moving the jump seats inward?

Interesting! My may 1973 fj40 has a rollbar... similar to the way you describe. I recently learned that it wasn't factory due to my jump seat frames being fabbed to fit it. I'm really curious how dealers installed these without moving the jump seats inward?
Your best way to get an answer is to have @OregonOzzy to take a pic of his set up of the roll bar and seat. It looks like they moved the seats away from their stk location. His might have been added by the dealer. His jump seats are the long versions. In the OP's pics, the roll bar is similar to what Dizzy described. I have a fullcage version in my avatar pic. Most likely its a Smittybuilt.

@mrjordann unfortunately it is at my storage place right now while I finish up some other projects. I can take better pictures in a week when I return there. In the meantime I did find this picture that I had taken haphazardly of the interior and it is a Smittybilt cage as evidenced by the sticker on it and another random picture of the cage.
20201205_145921.jpg

@pb4ugo a closer pic of the hubs.
20201205_145923.jpg

Hub pic.jpg

@OregonOzzy your 8/73 and my 9/74 are very similar trucks, both originally from the PNW! Even down to the Selectro hubs. When I bought mine in 2008 from the second owner, it came with the original receipts and manuals for both the Warn Belleview winch and the Warn bumper. They came from the original Warn facility in south Seattle before they moved to Oregon, and were installed on the truck when new. I am guessing yours has a similar story. I have noticed these bumpers and winches to be especially common on the 40's sold in the PNW between 70 and 75 or so.
74FJ40.gif

@OregonOzzy your 8/73 and my 9/74 are very similar trucks, both originally from the PNW! Even down to the Selectro hubs. When I bought mine in 2008 from the second owner, it came with the original receipts and manuals for both the Warn Belleview winch and the Warn bumper. They came from the original Warn facility in south Seattle before they moved to Oregon, and were installed on the truck when new. I am guessing yours has a similar story. I have noticed these bumpers and winches to be especially common on the 40's sold in the PNW between 70 and 75 or so. View attachment 2546595

@AntFarm your 40 looks beautiful. I can only wish for mine to get to that status. I have time. :) Thanks for sharing the details. Cool facts of the PNW 40's of that era.
I have not been completely slacking. Gathering up the right tools and doing a lot of background reading and that is how I ended up on the history of JIS fastners and Vessel tools. Wish somebody had told me about them a long time ago.... these arrived a few days back and I am sold. The best quality of hand tools I have seen in a while and the Impacta feature.
20210107_123439.jpg

@AntFarm your 40 looks beautiful. I can only wish for mine to get to that status. I have time. :) Thanks for sharing the details. Cool facts of the PNW 40's of that era.
I have not been completely slacking. Gathering up the right tools and doing a lot of background reading and that is how I ended up on the history of JIS fastners and Vessel tools. Wish somebody had told me about them a long time ago.... these arrived a few days back and I am sold. The best quality of hand tools I have seen in a while and the Impacta feature.View attachment 2546717
@OregonOzzy thanks for the compliments, but that photo hides a lot of flaws. It's the first Land Cruiser I have ever owned and I had to store it for several years while overseas in Japan. It now has a list of must-do's to bring it up to my standards. I'm in the process of installing a @4Cruisers large cap FJ60 dizzy converted to points and pairing it with a <74 non-US Aisin carb. I am just struck at the incredible similarities between our rigs. The condition of yours is very close to mine. They are both un-restored survivors. There was a real trend towards swapping out the carbs back then, before the emissions got too complicated, which I think was promoted by the early Man a Fre folks. My original carb was swapped out with a Rochester 2-jet in 1975 from Man a Fre. Switching back to the Aisin after all these years was like a breath of fresh air for that truck.

@OregonOzzy thanks for the compliments, but that photo hides a lot of flaws. It's the first Land Cruiser I have ever owned and I had to store it for several years while overseas in Japan. It now has a list of must-do's to bring it up to my standards. I'm in the process of installing a @4Cruisers large cap FJ60 dizzy converted to points and pairing it with a <74 non-US Aisin carb. I am just struck at the incredible similarities between our rigs. The condition of yours is very close to mine. They are both un-restored survivors. There was a real trend towards swapping out the carbs back then, before the emissions got too complicated, which I think was promoted by the early Man a Fre folks. My original carb was swapped out with a Rochester 2-jet in 1975 from Man a Fre. Switching back to the Aisin after all these years was like a breath of fresh air for that truck.
@mrjordann some pictures of the roll bar and seat attachments per request. Let me know if anything additional needed.
20210109_134456.jpg

20210109_135229.jpg

20210109_135238.jpg

20210109_135108.jpg

Update on Salty:

I have not been slacking… only working, dealing with life and raising a child. In between found time to tinker with Salty. Here is the next chapter of the story…..

Since the weather finally improved in Oregon (relatively) and I was able to finish up the Land Rover gearbox install. It was time to find a nice tow truck driver that was daring enough to move Salty from the storage place into the garage with a very short and very steep driveway. Here is what the poor kid had to go through. He got it in with nothing broken or damaged.

My biggest fear was that water jacket would be all plugged up since I could see crystals and crunchy hoses.

IMG_4522.JPG

Luckily this was only limited to the aluminum thermostat housing.

Removed the plugs and gave it a good Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) treatment over a period of a month. Few squirts of MMO in each of the cyl’s every Saturday morning.

IMG_4307.JPG

Then I moved to taking apart the whole cooling system and the parts ordering started. First sign of victory was when I had green liquid all over the garage floor. I was so sure that it would be all gummed up inside the block that I did not even prepare a catch bucket. Never have been happier in my life to mop up a mess!

IMG_4366.JPG

Removed the side drain and noticed a solid jam. Bummer, I thought I was done for at this time and the victory was short lived. Started picking at it and it was like a flood gate had been opened, suddenly the dam broke and I was drenched again in coolant. Another happy moment. This 40 has been taken care of where it mattered. The crusty part was only at the outlet, once cleaned it was free flowing.

Was able to find this awesome contraption on Amazon (made by Mityvac), hook it up to city water and compressor and you can control both the water and air. Dropped off the radiator for a recore at a local shop (Mac’s). Bypassed all the heaters, removed the thermostat. Set up an engine block flush line using bits and pieces of hoses and PVC and cycled enough water/air through the block to get clear water flowing out of the block drain.

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG

I have never rebuilt a Holley (carb it came with) so it was a 1st for me. Plenty of experience with Strombergs, Zenith’s and SU’s. Bought a parts kit off eBAY, cleaned up everything and put it back together reusing jets with new gaskets. No extra parts left (always a good thing). Good enough to get to a first start. Did put in a new acc’ pump old one was crusty enough to crack in my hands.

IMG_4775.JPG

Put back the Radiator with new hoses, filled with the correct mix of coolant.
Replaced oil filter and oil 20W50 (since it had plenty of MMO mixed in by now). Saved a quart of oil that I poured over the valve train to pre-lube.

Filed/cleaned the old points (they will have to do for now) with a dab of silicon grease under the rubbing block.

Cleaned and gapped the old plugs (they should be good enough for now).

Made sure all the HT cables were clean and snug at the coil and disti cap.

Cleaned the battery/ground terminals.

New battery from COSTCO.

Checked static timing (it is close enough).

Hooked up a temporary gas tank connected to a new fuel pump (did not want to take a chance with a leaking pump that would contaminate the oil). Can rebuild the old one, if I can find a kit for it for a spare.

Dropped in about a teaspoon of 20W50 oil in each of the cyl’s.

Made sure transmission was in neutral and so was the transfer case. Just for security chocked the wheels too.

Removed the HT cable from coil and it was time to crank it. I had rotated the engine many times over the last month or so using a crank handle that fit perfectly (it was from the Land Rover). Unfortunately, you can only do it when the radiator was out.

The day had come for it to get fuel and electricity flowing through it again.

Here is the real owner of Salty cranking it for the first time since 2006.

And here is my contribution to what the PO left there for me to find. Underneath the seats and fuel tank. The best one (270 Win)

IMG_4826.JPG

The complete collection (minus the sunflower seeds, pine needles and dog hair).

IMG_4830.JPG

Until next time.

To do:

Paint and install a CCOT gas tank that just arrived.

Get the brake and clutch system rebuilt.

Rebuild the knuckles and steering system.

Search for some old school skinny/tall tires to fit the original rims.

But this is also fishing and camping season in Oregon so progress will be slow. 😊
(and yes, the kid wants a 270Win rifle too now ).

Update on Salty:

I have not been slacking… only working, dealing with life and raising a child. In between found time to tinker with Salty. Here is the next chapter of the story…..

Since the weather finally improved in Oregon (relatively) and I was able to finish up the Land Rover gearbox install. It was time to find a nice tow truck driver that was daring enough to move Salty from the storage place into the garage with a very short and very steep driveway. Here is what the poor kid had to go through. He got it in with nothing broken or damaged.

My biggest fear was that water jacket would be all plugged up since I could see crystals and crunchy hoses.

View attachment 2702082

Luckily this was only limited to the aluminum thermostat housing.

Removed the plugs and gave it a good Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) treatment over a period of a month. Few squirts of MMO in each of the cyl’s every Saturday morning.

View attachment 2702084

Then I moved to taking apart the whole cooling system and the parts ordering started. First sign of victory was when I had green liquid all over the garage floor. I was so sure that it would be all gummed up inside the block that I did not even prepare a catch bucket. Never have been happier in my life to mop up a mess!

View attachment 2702085

Removed the side drain and noticed a solid jam. Bummer, I thought I was done for at this time and the victory was short lived. Started picking at it and it was like a flood gate had been opened, suddenly the dam broke and I was drenched again in coolant. Another happy moment. This 40 has been taken care of where it mattered. The crusty part was only at the outlet, once cleaned it was free flowing.

Was able to find this awesome contraption on Amazon (made by Mityvac), hook it up to city water and compressor and you can control both the water and air. Dropped off the radiator for a recore at a local shop (Mac’s). Bypassed all the heaters, removed the thermostat. Set up an engine block flush line using bits and pieces of hoses and PVC and cycled enough water/air through the block to get clear water flowing out of the block drain.

View attachment 2702089

View attachment 2702090

I have never rebuilt a Holley (carb it came with) so it was a 1st for me. Plenty of experience with Strombergs, Zenith’s and SU’s. Bought a parts kit off eBAY, cleaned up everything and put it back together reusing jets with new gaskets. No extra parts left (always a good thing). Good enough to get to a first start. Did put in a new acc’ pump old one was crusty enough to crack in my hands.

View attachment 2702100

Put back the Radiator with new hoses, filled with the correct mix of coolant.
Replaced oil filter and oil 20W50 (since it had plenty of MMO mixed in by now). Saved a quart of oil that I poured over the valve train to pre-lube.

Filed/cleaned the old points (they will have to do for now) with a dab of silicon grease under the rubbing block.

Cleaned and gapped the old plugs (they should be good enough for now).

Made sure all the HT cables were clean and snug at the coil and disti cap.

Cleaned the battery/ground terminals.

New battery from COSTCO.

Checked static timing (it is close enough).

Hooked up a temporary gas tank connected to a new fuel pump (did not want to take a chance with a leaking pump that would contaminate the oil). Can rebuild the old one, if I can find a kit for it for a spare.

Dropped in about a teaspoon of 20W50 oil in each of the cyl’s.

Made sure transmission was in neutral and so was the transfer case. Just for security chocked the wheels too.

Removed the HT cable from coil and it was time to crank it. I had rotated the engine many times over the last month or so using a crank handle that fit perfectly (it was from the Land Rover). Unfortunately, you can only do it when the radiator was out.

The day had come for it to get fuel and electricity flowing through it again.

Here is the real owner of Salty cranking it for the first time since 2006.

And here is my contribution to what the PO left there for me to find. Underneath the seats and fuel tank. The best one (270 Win)

View attachment 2702106

The complete collection (minus the sunflower seeds, pine needles and dog hair).

View attachment 2702107

Until next time.

To do:

Paint and install a CCOT gas tank that just arrived.

Get the brake and clutch system rebuilt.

Rebuild the knuckles and steering system.

Search for some old school skinny/tall tires to fit the original rims.

But this is also fishing and camping season in Oregon so progress will be slow. 😊
(and yes, the kid wants a 270Win rifle too now ).

I found a couple books of matches, behind the dash, in mine.

@ Dizzy yes, there was the customary book of matches too!
IMG_4831.JPG

@MDH33 if I remember correctly the PO said these were old Chevy wheels that he had to take a gridner too and cut out the middle to go over the hubs. The cuts can be seen quite clearly. I have not found any markings on the wheels so far. This thing needs a good power wash. I am dealing with mud and dirt from the early '70's that is caked on it everywhere (probably saved it from rust).

IMG_4927.JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

Welcome to the '73 family. I'm trying to finish to OEM as much as possible in time. Great to have pictures to archive so I know what the original parts were and what the set up is. Wish I found this thread earlier. The original manual is a cool piece.

Looking forward to following this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom