Intro to an Aug ‘73 Original Owner FJ40 (1 Viewer)

The roll-bar was dealer add-ons, or so I've been told. Eventually, Toyota picked up the slack. My '73 had one as well. It was like a piece of hot rolled angle steel at the foot, 45-degree angle on the back tube. Also unique are the footman loops on the hard top model tub and swing-outs, if I remember correctly.

The hubs on the front are not the usual Warn, or Aisan, locking types?
Interesting! My may 1973 fj40 has a rollbar... similar to the way you describe. I recently learned that it wasn't factory due to my jump seat frames being fabbed to fit it. I'm really curious how dealers installed these without moving the jump seats inward?

pb4ugo

SILVER Star
Interesting! My may 1973 fj40 has a rollbar... similar to the way you describe. I recently learned that it wasn't factory due to my jump seat frames being fabbed to fit it. I'm really curious how dealers installed these without moving the jump seats inward?
Your best way to get an answer is to have @OregonOzzy to take a pic of his set up of the roll bar and seat. It looks like they moved the seats away from their stk location. His might have been added by the dealer. His jump seats are the long versions. In the OP's pics, the roll bar is similar to what Dizzy described. I have a fullcage version in my avatar pic. Most likely its a Smittybuilt.

@mrjordann unfortunately it is at my storage place right now while I finish up some other projects. I can take better pictures in a week when I return there. In the meantime I did find this picture that I had taken haphazardly of the interior and it is a Smittybilt cage as evidenced by the sticker on it and another random picture of the cage.
20201205_145921.jpg

@pb4ugo a closer pic of the hubs.
20201205_145923.jpg

Hub pic.jpg

@OregonOzzy your 8/73 and my 9/74 are very similar trucks, both originally from the PNW! Even down to the Selectro hubs. When I bought mine in 2008 from the second owner, it came with the original receipts and manuals for both the Warn Belleview winch and the Warn bumper. They came from the original Warn facility in south Seattle before they moved to Oregon, and were installed on the truck when new. I am guessing yours has a similar story. I have noticed these bumpers and winches to be especially common on the 40's sold in the PNW between 70 and 75 or so.
74FJ40.gif

@OregonOzzy your 8/73 and my 9/74 are very similar trucks, both originally from the PNW! Even down to the Selectro hubs. When I bought mine in 2008 from the second owner, it came with the original receipts and manuals for both the Warn Belleview winch and the Warn bumper. They came from the original Warn facility in south Seattle before they moved to Oregon, and were installed on the truck when new. I am guessing yours has a similar story. I have noticed these bumpers and winches to be especially common on the 40's sold in the PNW between 70 and 75 or so. View attachment 2546595

@AntFarm your 40 looks beautiful. I can only wish for mine to get to that status. I have time. :) Thanks for sharing the details. Cool facts of the PNW 40's of that era.
I have not been completely slacking. Gathering up the right tools and doing a lot of background reading and that is how I ended up on the history of JIS fastners and Vessel tools. Wish somebody had told me about them a long time ago.... these arrived a few days back and I am sold. The best quality of hand tools I have seen in a while and the Impacta feature.
20210107_123439.jpg

@AntFarm your 40 looks beautiful. I can only wish for mine to get to that status. I have time. :) Thanks for sharing the details. Cool facts of the PNW 40's of that era.
I have not been completely slacking. Gathering up the right tools and doing a lot of background reading and that is how I ended up on the history of JIS fastners and Vessel tools. Wish somebody had told me about them a long time ago.... these arrived a few days back and I am sold. The best quality of hand tools I have seen in a while and the Impacta feature.View attachment 2546717
@OregonOzzy thanks for the compliments, but that photo hides a lot of flaws. It's the first Land Cruiser I have ever owned and I had to store it for several years while overseas in Japan. It now has a list of must-do's to bring it up to my standards. I'm in the process of installing a @4Cruisers large cap FJ60 dizzy converted to points and pairing it with a <74 non-US Aisin carb. I am just struck at the incredible similarities between our rigs. The condition of yours is very close to mine. They are both un-restored survivors. There was a real trend towards swapping out the carbs back then, before the emissions got too complicated, which I think was promoted by the early Man a Fre folks. My original carb was swapped out with a Rochester 2-jet in 1975 from Man a Fre. Switching back to the Aisin after all these years was like a breath of fresh air for that truck.

@OregonOzzy thanks for the compliments, but that photo hides a lot of flaws. It's the first Land Cruiser I have ever owned and I had to store it for several years while overseas in Japan. It now has a list of must-do's to bring it up to my standards. I'm in the process of installing a @4Cruisers large cap FJ60 dizzy converted to points and pairing it with a <74 non-US Aisin carb. I am just struck at the incredible similarities between our rigs. The condition of yours is very close to mine. They are both un-restored survivors. There was a real trend towards swapping out the carbs back then, before the emissions got too complicated, which I think was promoted by the early Man a Fre folks. My original carb was swapped out with a Rochester 2-jet in 1975 from Man a Fre. Switching back to the Aisin after all these years was like a breath of fresh air for that truck.
@mrjordann some pictures of the roll bar and seat attachments per request. Let me know if anything additional needed.
20210109_134456.jpg

20210109_135229.jpg

20210109_135238.jpg

20210109_135108.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom