Intro thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to this forum but not to FJ40s.
My first one was like new and in 1973 I drove it from my home in San Clemente, CA to Cobo San Lucas Mexico. Cabo at that time only had 3 hotels (I've been back recently and there are hundreds of full blown resorts.
In the Ferry Que.jpg
In the Ferry Que.jpg
I took the ferry from Cabo to the main land Puerto Vallarta. I I drove day and night and in Culiacan at night I was run off the road and robbed.
My Land Cruiser crash (2).jpg

My second FJ40 replaced this one as the one above is probably pulling a plow. I drove the second one to Chicago for college and sold it there as it cost me more to park than to eat.
I just bought my third and I am going to do a frame up restoration. I will leave the new Chevy 350 in it. The rear 3rd member is toast and possibly the transfer case. I think it has a floor shift 3 speed and I'd like to convert it to a 4 or 5 speed. The frame has no rust and there is only a small spot on right rear quarter panel how eve when I strip the paint I hope to find no surprises.
20220527_111118.jpg
20220531_100301.jpg

I live in New Hampshire now and happy to see CruiserParts is just down the road.

mlkco, if you are going to keep the short water pump with alternator hanging out off the side, you will need to double that top belt tightening bracket (weld two together) because the vibration out there causes those bracket to crack right where the tightening bolt is at the alternator.

Welcome to Mud Mlco!

Fascinating story and cool old pictures with cruisers. Your current ride looks like a nice base.

Mud, it's a great resource for information as well as some good entertaining reading. I also find it's a very good way to record and document your 40 and any upgrades and modifications you do to it. Very helpful later to be able to look back and remind yourself why you did what.

Plus your likely to get a good dose of advice now and again.

Oh and where are my manners.
:flipoff2:

Last edited:
mlkco, if you are going to keep the short water pump with alternator hanging out off the side, you will need to double that top belt tightening bracket (weld two together) because the vibration out there causes those bracket to crack right where the tightening bolt is at the alternator.
Downey, Are front Downey CA?
Or Downey Toyota Performance.
The Extra tank and role cages from there on the crashed one. I was born and raised in Downey

Welcome to Mud Mlco!

Fascinating story and cool old pictures with cruisers. Your current ride looks like a nice base.

Mud, it's a great resource for information as well as some good entertaining reading. I also find it's a very good way to record and document your 40 and any upgrades and modifications you do to it. Very helpful later to be able to look back and remind yourself why you did what.

Plus your likely to get a good dose of advice now and again.

Oh and where are my manners.
:flipoff2:
I am always open to advice though take all with a grain of salt. Yours seem sincere and based in experience

mlkco, I started Downey Off Road Mfg. at Downey Toyota (car dealership). The off road business left the dealership, but remained in Downey from 1970-1979. We then moved across the freeway to Santa Fe Spring until we closed in 2009.

Downey, I had your products on both my previous FJs. On one of my crashed FJ photos you can see the skid plate of your spare tank.
Do you still make parts or have an online store?
I live in NH however graduated Warren HS

Downey, I had your products on both my previous FJs. On one of my crashed FJ photos you can see the skid plate of your spare tank.
Do you still make parts or have an online store?
I live in NH however graduated Warren HS
you can find my ebay store at tojoproducts@aol.com, there is quite a bit of FJ40 stuff in the store, and I still manufacture a few items.

mlkco, I started Downey Off Road Mfg. at Downey Toyota (car dealership). The off road business left the dealership, but remained in Downey from 1970-1979. We then moved across the freeway to Santa Fe Spring until we closed in 2009.
I always enjoyed your catalogs drooling over all the items I wanted but couldn't afford. I would save until I could. I also spent a lot of time at the parts counter at Downey Toyota dealer.

Man I drove from Alberta Canada to las cobos yes very few hotels we stayed at a newer place in some new town I forget the name but felt very safe. They were building roads curbs the whole deal but I cannot recall year loved it there were some cool churches and friendly venders too. We flow back twice you so right hotel every where I could have brought land so cheap my wife said I never sell it. Well big mistake but we were very young and had no money anyhow really. So this must be 71 0r earlier or I could be off I recall 74 they change rear doors to only two .I have so many cruisers over the years with that V8 it will cruise not too bad on the hwy.% speed wow that would be so sweet and cheap on fuel. Nice rig bud Thanks for sharing .I've got a clean 83 I love but hardly drive it as that clean . If your doing your own works then go for it if you going to pay to have it redone I buy one that been done money wise you be better off. I loved my small blocks and big blocks back in the day. I had a flip front end all fiberglass made it so easy to work on except the headers would get me most times as they come up & over once I got my first diesel the chevy were over with for me but my 83 is gas love it. I send you a picture of it I did lots of the work but the guys helping me rush it as had to leave for a week as dad died so they didn't do it to my standards' it was done many years ago not a speck of rust has ever appeared. Look into the flip front end if you need fenders as if I recall were made in Quebec Canada and was cheap back in the day many years ago that was a 1971 I redid. I changed the doors over to new style so most thought it was newer than it was but the 3 speed gave it away. I raced it lots so 2nd gear worked well. But I also think wouldn't be hard to build one from the original steel parts .They all have a hinge from factory as well just a zip disk cut where needed.
I am 63 this was all years ago so my memory well isn't a great as a few years ago.I do not like that like forgetting names of people or school teachers but not getting alshammer sorry spelled wrong but sure you get the idea.
So fun to redo really but pulling off the frame isn't needed unless really bad.

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

Wow I spoked to you or a staff menber years ago but one time called as did a huge lift on a FJ40 ran into steering problem someone they said couldn't be done I said done just need to come up with the huge height difference on the steering but put a S in the piece one end was metic for the stock tie rod the other was standard so needed a die to thread and once I told a machine shop what it was for they said no way. So I then said to last shop was for a offroad go kart they did it no problem. I had a V8 so very short front drive shaft. Was going to weld in some gussets never did never bend as went out on a trip that weekend in very muddy terrain I took a zip disk cut though where factory welded to the inner & outer tube could tell as turn blue was so easy really . I recall like yesterday I said bro we put man on the moon & one of the guys from your shop saying cant be done. It was all done with the exception of steering which came to me in a dream . Back then a person had to make most parts oneself .Young full of energy was nothing I thought I couldn't do.
No parts left of any kind bet not but I be kicking myself If I do not ask. Just know people that may buy it all if any left. Been a FJ BJ or even B guy my entire life is all I still have two one gas mint even factory a/c a 1983 and a b diesel low kms but no fixing that body tub ever.
Here I attach a picture the roof & doors are off I never drive it in the winter as that clean nice. Back in the day was so hard to find made parts & my shop being in Canada didn't help & no internet back then.
Today so easy and the you tube videos a guy can do anything with out having to figure it out. Man that would have been handy back then .
Mind you our Prime Minister just pushed a bill in to control all the internet in Canada not good and bet shortly I not be able to even see this site or youtube any thing like that. Evil guy a dictator sure come to mind.
Well so great finding you here so wish I never got hurt in a bad motorbike accident which changed my life forever.
War on opioids here so I was reduce at age 55 I now 63 have not been able to hardly walk & pain is the most terrible thing to have you say I can do this but no matter how you convince your self one just cannot.
So I lost the ability to work with meds I could & just had to work without a break as I would seize up so done for the day but had 4 to 6 hours in me now I have like 2 minutes no bs.
This is after nearly 30 years on medication & the college of physicians did all by number of opioids one took which was never that bad until they change the way oxys were made as I guess the junkies would do them. That when my need went up so myself and two women were put though their BS and I was reduced 85%.
I never went in early never lost them but also never got anything from them but relief. Our entire world is changing I sure your aware & once we go to a digital dollar were all done .
Well I hope your in good health & hope every thing good as you change the entire industry building stuff for Toyota fans you should be so proud !!!!
Here I attack a pic of my 83 she sweet low kms even a/c I just going to get going I noticed that still hold pressure so I had one can of R12 left so hope adding R12a works as I cannot find any info if one can mix the two but the laws in some states its illegal but not here.If anyone knows I going to add R12a to the system wednesday I need a fitting so will pick it up wed and try I guess. The compressor clutch will need engage as still to low but I was able to kick it in by 12 volt power to the feed to the compressor but no bubbles in the slight glass yet. I just be so tickle pink if I could have that working as everything else works perfect
Finding wiring or info near impossible except found some info here most being a 79 model but it gives a guy a little more info I hate to burn out the controller as my understanding is that wear the hi and low pressure switches are not like what what I use to seeing on chevy anyhow.
I thought it was vintage air unit emailed them & they wrote back saying not there's but it Toyota and very rare not many came with a/c.
I should email him and ask if they every herd of anyone mixing the two. I have to ask without saying mine so not to get them in s*** being kind. So many kind guys here helping others out. I wrote the two guys who posted what they had from years ago but appreciate people helping others. That how life was not that long ago now sadly all greed it seems
the seats are stock too no wear one little burn tiny but man so clean low miles even all the stickers under the hood yet on the motor and the ones on the inside of hood. Most get blow off from power washers this is amazing its up for sale my health is bad so time to get ride of some toys hot rods and a 82 0r 84 corvette mint black not a scratch of crack in the body & its also a collector edition I had no idea until I had it appraisal done & the dude saying how rare the car is two tone interior factory again like 70.000 Kms so if you no anyone looking for a toy or vette I drop like 30% off the price that was told I should expect do not want to put my wife threw the hassles beside she say 500.00 Lol I had a complete set of mint doors I had for 20 plus years came to me saying someone offer 100.00 for all I said no at a garage sale.I said put on market place got so many replies got 400 per door the guy comes out a young dude very nice I said give me 500.00 cash take them away I thought he was going to either kiss me or cry. Complete with windows cranks even the inside door panels .Made his day & he still calls telling me how his truck coming along and he doing a great job. I gave him a bunch of air tools as I never used them and having the proper tools makes it so much easier and with a air board to get it straighter but he brought most parts new he properly will not use the board sander but made me feel good inside & I never use them again as on oxygen most of the time so my body work days are done too.
So my middle son come over has a 2015 dodge diesel put fatter tires on & his rockers are to the steel so I thought s*** that board sander would sure make it easier to throw a little bondo on & take it off straight but I show him how it used to be done all feel and if you get on that bondo at the right time 80 grit will get is straight but you know he needs to learn it body shop labor costly and if you have patience you can do it by hand and block it with 280 then finish off 500 wet sanding will be fine but said you leave this changing rockers isn't cheap or easy either. My other son loves mechnics and is smart much more then myself and does all his own work.
His turbo went in his lbz diesel engine caught it before damaged the entire engine but had to raise the cab to get a snip on to loosen the cooked on nut or bolt. 18 hours with two taking apart & 3 to reinstall a new turbo .Engineer's should have to work on what there design as man so dumb designing on engines. Cumming to change some simple gasket or some place I forget I should be wearing my oxygen as I babbling but should take 1 hours but 38 hours later you have to pull the driveshafts then the trans to change the piece part I hate it when I cannot remember stuff that I just got told about like two weeks ago I could look it up but why really I just wanted to know you made this whole Big 4X4 industry is because or you buddy you started it off and still going strong except the dealers are trying to take it all back to the dealer ships and I sorry shops that work on these everyday know more then any dealer mechanic ever will its a shame really. But we owe you a ton of thanks so I must say THANK YOU Downey so very much for making things work right and created the look and well some do need most is looks I think. You can see by my 83 she does not go offroad ever and usually Its trailered as I have about 3/4 of a block of gravel until pavement & hate rock chips I have two little ones that prises me off every time i see it but I driving now this summer & if it gets chips o well.

IMG_3687.JPG

ROBS-PC - 20210625_102100.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom