Builds Louie - 1973 FJ40 - A OEM work in Progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Savvy

SILVER Star
Threads
First post.

I recently became the proud owner of a 1973 FJ 40. The person I purchased the vehicle from was full of information. I left with boxes of spare parts, manuals etc. and the offer to call him anytime I want. I don't if is a numbers matching vehicle but based some google research on the vin (Body/Frame) and engine it might be. He purchased it out of the states and spent 4 years restoring it. It basically is all original sheet metal except for a front fender (I have the original) and some rear fender wheel well rebuild.

I like the look of the OEM however I not sure how close it is to OEM. I'm sure over time, I will find the good and the bad. If does have the original '73 back light bezel but not original lens. I would love to find an original lens. :) I'm sure over time it will become a labour of love and passion. I'm looking forward to the adventure.

Body FJ40138XXX
Frame FJ40138XXX
Engine F413391

Manufacturer October 1972

There are a couple things I would like to change...

1. install 3 point front belts. I have an OEM roll bar but I think the rear seats are wrong (they are long ones) and it doesn't fit. More research is required.
  2. Install auxiliary hood latch. It currently doesn't have one. I would love if someone could post a picture of the correct one installed.
  3. Restore the hardtop that came with it.

Land Cruiser Front.png
Land Crusier Engine.png
Land Cruiser.png

Last edited:
A 10/72 didn't come with a roll bar. Thus the long jump seats.
The 72 also didn't have an auxiliary hood latch. The two hooks do just fine... Unless you forget to latch them.
The rear lens looks fine in the photo. If you're concerned about those lenses being wrong, prepare yourself for a longer list.

Nice looking truck by the way...

Oh. And the battery isn't original either. Have fun finding that one. (ahahahahaahahahahahah)

A 10/72 didn't come with a roll bar. Thus the long jump seats.
The 72 also didn't have an auxiliary hood latch. The two hooks do just fine... Unless you forget to latch them.
The rear lens looks fine in the photo. If you're concerned about those lenses being wrong, prepare yourself for a longer list.

Nice looking truck by the way...

Oh. And the battery isn't original either. Have fun finding that one. (ahahahahaahahahahahah)
Thanks so much... I suspect there is a long list of things that are not OEM including the battery ;) . Looking for a reliable summer fun vehicle and planning for it not to be a garage princess. Now if it would only stop snowing!!!

Lots to learn...

Curious where it came from if not the US? Does it have the A pillar plaque? Looks to have an air pump which most other markets didn't have. The 73 did not have an auxiliary hood latch. I have a 73 FST that is still all matching paint and no latch. Here is what the auxiliary latch looks like 11/73-1/79.
IMG_20201226_142907822.jpg

Very nice looking cruiser. Wish mine looked as nice. While my 73 FST had a hard top on when I bought It included the original soft top bows and doors. I have a factory roll bar that is made for three point seat belts think on this one will live with lap belts and not install any roll bar.

Believe someone was looking into reproducing the lens for the 73 only reverse light. I know I have a housing missing the OEM lens aa well.

Headrests were an option in 73. These headrest were only used for a few years. If you have them is a bonus. Finding correct originals can be pricey.

Batteries were famous for acid fumes from the caps on top which ate up the hold down. Believe my 68 still has most of the original hold down but not so lucky on others.

Curious where it came from if not the US? Does it have the A pillar plaque? Looks to have an air pump which most other markets didn't have. The 73 did not have an auxiliary hood latch. I have a 73 FST that is still all matching paint and no latch. Here is what the auxiliary latch looks like 11/73-1/79.
View attachment 2650940

Very nice looking cruiser. Wish mine looked as nice. While my 73 FST had a hard top on when I bought It included the original soft top bows and doors. I have a factory roll bar that is made for three point seat belts think on this one will live with lap belts and not install any roll bar.

Believe someone was looking into reproducing the lens for the 73 only reverse light. I know I have a housing missing the OEM lens aa well.

Headrests were an option in 73. These headrest were only used for a few years. If you have them is a bonus. Finding correct originals can be pricey.
Thanks, I look for a while to find one in decent shape. More answers to noobie questions. I appreciate it.

Mechanical work kinda scares me but body work gives me nightmares.
Vehicle was imported to Canada from Cucamonga, CA in June 2014. Some minor body rust was repaired and lots of mechanical work was completed. There are two know issues. hard starting after it sits for a while and the PTO winch shaft is not the correct length. I think the PTO winch is from another year maybe '72.

Does your 73 still have the original three speed or a four speed. That is really the only difference in shaft length for the PTO winch up to 1/79 when the shaft was rerouted over to the frame.

Too short... Original owner thinks the shaft has been shortened. It will be a winter project. Planning on driving this summer and enjoying the new toy.

Do you have the short shaft with a pillow block bearing that hangs of the radiator mount? Two tabs come down off the radiator mount that the pillow block bolts to. That short shaft then goes thru the frame in the font and connects to the U joint with two small holes for a shear pin.

Yup that looks like the one that is installed in the FJ 40. I will try and get better pictures on the weekend. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!!

Be thankful you had that piece. Those are very hard to find. The pillow block bearing housing is aluminum and been known to get destroyed when working on removing that shaft. The early version of the piece of front the spline slips into had a long collar. The area in the splines rust to together. I would suggest being sure to grease the spline to prevent that.

Fuel and Engine Oil Question. This vehicle was manufactured when leaded gas was around. Do I need to be using a different motor oil and fuel for this vehicle or is it ok to use synthetic oil designed for high mileage engines and regular unleaded gas? The previous owner has Castrol GTX High Mileage SAE 10W30 in it now.

Fuel and Engine Oil Question. This vehicle was manufactured when leaded gas was around. Do I need to be using a different motor oil and fuel for this vehicle or is it ok to use synthetic oil designed for high mileage engines and regular unleaded gas? The previous owner has Castrol GTX High Mileage SAE 10W30 in it now.

I'm not sure about fuel additives; I believe these engines don't suffer from soft valve guide problems.

You will for sure want to either use oil with a high zinc content or use a zinc additive.

Newer oils don't contain zinc, which for engines with flat tappet cams, is a problem.

I'm not sure about fuel additives; I believe these engines don't suffer from soft valve guide problems.

You will for sure want to either use oil with a high zinc content or use a zinc additive.

Newer oils don't contain zinc, which for engines with flat tappet cams, is a problem.
Thanks...

Welcome to Mud, and nice looking ‘73. The ‘73 back up light is pretty rare but they can be found, for a price. I’m thinking of putting some security screws on mine! How rough is you hard top?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom