Intro, question, and build thread starter for "Bear Claw" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

Just a quick intro for me and my rig "Bear Claw". I have been poking around the forums for a few months now and finally made a profile to hopefully contribute something to this awesome platform besides just being a loaner haha. I love all the passion, knowledge, and creativity on ih8mud, it's very contagious! I purchased my '01 LX470 with 203k miles from my brother (another ih8mud member!) who really did an excellent job with doing everything possible to properly baseline it and get it in tip top mechanical and cosmetic condition. I couldn't be happier with my new rig, especially after having pretty much the experience from hell with my 2012 Jeep grand Cherokee. Very happy to be getting rid of that ASAP.

When I got the truck it already had a few upgrades such as an '03+ ARB front bumper, STEDI Type-X Lights, ADGU SS1 sleeper platform with a drawer, Scangauge II, along with a handful of other handy modifications. He's got me off to a pretty darn good start as far as what I would like to do with the truck! Definitely have more plans for the rig but am going to take things (somewhat) slow as far as the mods go so I'll have plenty of money for maintenance items that need to be done and because I'll be moving from Bodega Bay to Denver in a few weeks and won't really have anywhere to work on it :(

My question was regarding the Switch Pros SP-9100 mounting options. I have looked pretty extensively regarding the most "ergonomic" yet out of the way mounting options and think I have settled on the M35 product from @BenCC . I think that's going to be the best location for me and it looks like a fantastic product and very stock looking for a switch panel mount. Has anyone used that specific product from Ben and have any comments/pros/cons about it? Are there any other similar mounting options for that headliner area I should consider?

Anyway, probably wordy enough for now. Hope to maybe meet up with some of you CO guys in the near future and pick your brain over a beer (or 3)! It seems like there's a ton of support out in that area.

I'll leave y'all with a few pics of Bear Claw as she sits currently!

20210204_174147.jpg

20210213_123855.jpg

20210213_124630.jpg

20210213_124615.jpg

Great looking rig there! Can’t think of a better home for it than with you. You’re definitely off to a great start and I can’t wait to see what this truck becomes!

Couple updates since I've had the truck for a few weeks now.

#1 Was finally able to get rid of that rear view mirror rattle!:clap:
It was a bit more complicated than just tightening up a screw or two. The mounting bracket is actually 3 separate pieces. The main base plate is (permanently?) attached to the windshield then there is a secondary base that attached to that plate via 2 very small screws, then there is a small sheet metal plate that sits behind two ledges in the secondary plate. The mirror actually screws into this small metal plate via a very custom looking screw (partially threaded with a sharp cone shaped tip) and is held in place by putting a small amount of torque on the screw to flex the plate which provides some tension. I had to drill out and use an extractor on the main screw and then fabricate (grind down some threads on a new screw that fit) a new screw that would fit. All in it was an hour long pain in the butt job that I thought would take 2 minutes :bang: It's all tightened up now though! I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the steps but if anyone is dealing with the same rear view mirror wobble/rattle/shaking I'd be glad to try and help. I can always take it apart again for pics if needed. I'd say it was a :banana::banana: job but only because I had to extract the original screw and custom make my own half threaded screw that was exactly the right length. If none of your screws are stripped it would be very easy 1/2 banana job.

#2 Carpeted the Air Down Gear Up SS1 sleeper platform and drawer.
It turned out great I think! I decided not to carpet both sides of the sleeper portion since when folded it wouldn't have lay flush. No big deal though since most of the time its folded with all carpet showing and when unfolded for sleeping it will have a pad over it. It was a bit tedious but was overall pretty easy. Pics below. :banana:

Does anyone know (@suprarx7nut ?) what the little half circle cutouts on the middle sleeper fold out section are for? I was trying to figure it out the whole time I was carpeting but for the life of me can't figure it out.

#3 Installed Slee fog light surrounds and Diode Dynamics SS3 MAX amber fogs the ARB deluxe
Fairly straight forward install for the fog surrounds. Slee includes some templates to mark 5 mounting holes that need to be drilled in the bumper for each plate. I did have to grind down part of the mounting tab for the fog lights for the SS3 bracket to bolt up properly. The vertical spacing is a bit off as well since the Slee plates weren't specifically designed for the SS3 fog light but a few minutes with the grinder, a metal file, a paint pen and a couple washers used as spacers and I was able to get it fit almost perfectly. I still need to add a few more washers to get it perfect but that will be super easy/quick. If anyone has been thinking about doing the same I can snap a few pics of how I ground down the Slee plate and SS3 bracket to make it work. Pics of the finished product below. :banana::banana:

#4 Next on the list is a new fuel filter and replacement sun roof gasket

20210220_174705.jpg

20210220_174725.jpg

20210220_174847.jpg

Inked20210222_181605_LI.jpg

Inked20210222_181616_LI.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom