Intro post - new 100 owner: recommended to ask the Capital Club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
REPOST:

Hello all,
I just recently purchased a 100 series LC from a family member. I am looking to build it into a sweet rig to be able to reach fishing spots and conquer harsh conditions during the winter months. From what I know it has been sitting for quite some time. I have replaced the battery, and begun siphoning out the old gas. Those are the only items that I have ticked off the checklist. I would like to be responsible in making sure everything is working as it should/intended prior to adding any fun goodies. It has about 145k miles on it and was mostly highway driven. If you could recommend some shops in the MD, or northern VA area that are reputable and able to do these maintenance items that would be awesome. To my knowledge the brake failure issue has happened already and was replaced, I can confirm the brakes do indeed work. However, I do not know what maintenance has been done so far or what needs to be done. Hoping to hear back from this great community. Cheers.
I was suggested to ask in here since you all would be closer. Happy to be here.

@OTRAMM in Bealton VA is top flight. Might be a bit of a haul for you to get there and back, twice. Others will probably back me up on them.

I can't speak for any other shops but I want to say there has been mention of one of two recently somewhere in MD. Maybe in the "Local Resources" thread? Someone will chime in before long.

OTRAMM indeed. He is wise. He is wise.

If you want a good starting point:

#1 thing I would look at for a 145k truck is heater Ts. Less than $20 for OEM T’s will save you untold coins later when they crumble, eat your engine, and leave you stranded. Worse case, you replace them and find out they were in good shape. You’re out 30 minutes and the price of a four pack of hipster beers. Sounds like a standard Saturday.

OTRAMM indeed. He is wise. He is wise.

If you want a good starting point:

#1 thing I would look at for a 145k truck is heater Ts. Less than $20 for OEM T’s will save you untold coins later when they crumble, eat your engine, and leave you stranded. Worse case, you replace them and find out they were in good shape. You’re out 30 minutes and the price of a four pack of hipster beers. Sounds like a standard Saturday.

And if they’re bad enough to really scare you, you can remove the lines they’re connected to from the opposite ends before removing the T’s so you don’t risk crumbling them into the lines or you can order all new lines/T’s/clamps and build them to match then replace as assemblies. My junk looked terrible all around so I took the second path. Seemed easier only having to remove a few clamps total compared to 3 per T. Not sure if I still have the receipt with all the part numbers but I’ll be happy to look if you decide to go that route.

Only bad thing for me was that all the spring sides of the clamps were facing the worst possible way, leading me to believe they’d been replaced before by a sadistic mechanic. Turned a 30 minute job into 3 hours using all kind of pliers at all kind of angles.

I think the sadistic mechanic is Toyota's installer. The originals all have the clamps in the most inconvenient direction. These make them somewhat tolerable. Heater tee pliers
Yeah, those helped a lot. I absolutely love those things.

@RanchOpenOver welcome and congrats on the 100. Im in southern MD and could probably help with some of your check list. but otherwise @OTRAMM is the go to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom