Intro Post- Love It Already (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!

I just bought my first Landcruiser this week. It's an absolute gem, exterior and interior are nearly pristine. The engine purrs like a big massive thirsty kitten and idle around 700rpm.

That's not to say it's not going to need some work. It's a '98 with 200k, so that's to be expected with a car that's a quarter century old.

PO cut me a deal when I took it for a test drive and the driver's side brake line sprung a leak. Most might take that as a sign to walk away, but I took it as an opportunity to get a deal on a beautiful truck.

I've had it for four days and have already replaced the brake hard line (just a quick self-fabbed job to get it home), the front passenger ABS sensor (PO had removed it but hadn't gotten around to installing the new one), and giving it a thorough wash down.

Last night it threw a CEL for #3 Misfire, so I grabbed a replacement coil and plug from O'Reilly and taught my oldest kid how to change a spark plug. I have a full set of plugs and coils on the way, and will put these cheapo temp coil and plug in my toolbox as spares.

Anyway, as you can see I've already heavily leaned on the information found in this forum and previous wrenching experience, and I find this place to feel very much like some of the best car owner forums I've been a part of (mr2oc hops to mind).

Me and my family have already become quite smitten with the rig, as it reminds us of my old Toyota 1985 Hiace and 1991 RHD Liteace vans. Those were my main rides when I met my wife, and when my kids were growing up while we were stationed in Japan, and both have strong positive memories for the whole family.

Super stoked to be here and become part of this community! Below are some pictures I took of the War Rig in all its glory.

IMG_20230316_113415_589.jpg

20230318_105059.jpg

20230318_113316.jpg

Also, since I'm making a post anyway, anyone have a clue what this grounding wire might go to? It's just hanging out in my engine bay- not doing anyone any harm, but rather vagrant nonetheless...

20230318_104318.jpg

Welcome ! Looks like a nice truck ! Mine is a 98 w/ 284k and I would take off (almost) anywhere tomorrow !

Welcome ! Looks like a nice truck ! Mine is a 98 w/ 284k and I would take off (almost) anywhere tomorrow !
Thanks! I'll probably save the real adventures for a couple years (retirement is right around the corner), and use that time to build it up.

Any advice for a new '98 owner?

Welcome to the forum..
That wire is an engine ground goes to the engine lift bracket/hook near the throttle body.

If the heater T (located near the brake master aseembly by the fire wall) has not been replaced, replaced those soon. Buy oem T joints. Be aware, ones you have can crumble into pieces on removing. I source parts from toyota dealer located in Alabama, Decatur toyota as they have good prices and no tax. They sometjmes ship free! Also try partsouq.com in Dubai. Enter the vin and select parts. They are legit and got oem parts for a good deal. Ships via fedex and I get those delivered to TX in just 4 to 5 days, never more.

Aftermarket parts are really not the parts for the cruiser. Cruiser is heavy and most a/m parts will fail in days if not in months. The only A/m part I bought are hood and rear strut shocks. I bought a/m fog lights and that turned yellow in less than an year! What a waste of money.

I am very familiar with the 85 hiace lh80? and 91 liteace cm35? RHD. One of my relative had a 91 liteace! We still have an LN 106 RHD.

Welcome to the forum..
That wire is an engine ground goes to the engine lift bracket/hook near the throttle body.

If the heater T (located near the brake master aseembly by the fire wall) has not been replaced, replaced those soon. Buy oem T joints. Be aware, ones you have can crumble into pieces on removing. I source parts from toyota dealer located in Alabama, Decatur toyota as they have good prices and no tax. They sometjmes ship free! Also try partsouq.com in Dubai. Enter the vin and select parts. They are legit and got oem parts for a good deal. Ships via fedex and I get those delivered to TX in just 4 to 5 days, never more.

Aftermarket parts are really not the parts for the cruiser. Cruiser is heavy and most a/m parts will fail in days if not in months. The only A/m part I bought are hood and rear strut shocks. I bought a/m fog lights and that turned yellow in less than an year! What a waste of money.

I am very familiar with the 85 hiace lh80? and 91 liteace cm35? RHD. One of my relative had a 91 liteace! We still have an LN 106 RHD.
Awesome! I didnt figure many folks would know those old vans. The 85 is how I met my wife, actually (long story).

Thanks for letting me know where that ground goes too! I know it doesnt necessarily hurt anything leaving it, but it's not in it's right place and so it's been driving me nuts, lol.

Also, very much appreciate the parts source references! I was planning on replacing the heater and radiator hoses, and already ordered some stainless steel tees and worm clamps. I'd prefer to do the job only one time if possible and see how long it'll last.

Very pleased to make your acquaintance, friend!

Thanks! I'll probably save the real adventures for a couple years (retirement is right around the corner), and use that time to build it up.

Any advice for a new '98 owner?
Yeah. Buy that kid a new pair of pants.
Welcome to the club.

The picture that you show the unattached wire, I think you are missing the plastic splash guard that goes between the frame and fender wall. These guards are still available: There are 4 of these, two per side (one in front and one in the rear: either side of upper control arm). Without these, you may splash water/dirt into the engine bay/ fan belt that can reduce the life span of the belt.

The picture that you show the unattached wire, I think you are missing the plastic splash guard that goes between the frame and fender wall. These guards are still available: There are 4 of these, two per side (one in front and one in the rear: either side of upper control arm). Without these, you may splash water/dirt into the engine bay/ fan belt that can reduce the life span of the belt.
Good eye! I took it out to replace the brake line when I first bought the truck, and shortly after posting yesterday I had washed it (perhaps not neccessary) and put it back on. Definitely agree it's worthwhile to replace these if they're lost!

Sharp truck. Looks like it has a slight lift - does it? You may be able to find Tundra center caps and just cut out the very center to clear the hubcaps, or flatten your factory hubcaps to clear the caps. Or install wheel spacers....

Sharp truck. Looks like it has a slight lift - does it? You may be able to find Tundra center caps and just cut out the very center to clear the hubcaps, or flatten your factory hubcaps to clear the caps. Or install wheel spacers....
Thanks! Yeah the PO did a lift to it. I believe he said 3", although I honestly have no clue what it looked like stock to compare. I actually have the front Tundra center caps, they're just not on it... maybe I should get creative with my dremel...

Appreciate the idea!

Thoughts now that I've had it for a few weeks...

I LOVE the spread of the stock gauges! This is the first car Ive owned where you can see the difference in oil pressure based on RPM, and where the temp guage will move BEFORE the engine takes irreparable damage.

There are a few squeaks in the back and bumps in the front that I still need to work out suspension-wise. I hit the major stuff already with VCGs and a new radiator and hoses. Seems PO already replaced the heater tees, but I have new silicone hoses and SS tees that I'll install later when I have time.

Love how quiet this truck is, and it's certainly a huge morale boost that this is the first vehicle in years that I've owned that the wife likes riding in.

That said I still have some issues to address...

1. Anyone else have issues with AFR being all over the place, mostly rich (8-10)?

2. The ABS light came on a few days after I installed a new sensor. Sometimes it goes off again and then the ABS activates and it comes back on. Thinking I probably just need to clean the ring.

3. Decided I really wanted to build this close to JDM spec, so I spent a couple weeks sourcing a JDM Toyota 'OEM' Offroad bumper. Basically a plastic brush guard. Now to see if I can find a JAOS-style rear bumper guard.

So far I'm loving this new project almost too much, and need to remind myself to drive my other vehicle to keep it fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom