Intro post for a 80 series 1990 Land cuiser in Canada (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

My son is a fanatic of Toyota vehicules. He just bought a 1990 80series Land cruiser equipped with 1HD-T engine.
Unfortunately, the engine is not functional cause crank bearings seized and the block has blown.
So, we are trying to find a used 1HD-T engine in good condition which is our preference, or we are exploring the possibility to swap and install an other motor in the vehicule.
We are looking to receive advise and ideas from people using this forum.
We live in Canada near Ottawa.
Thank you very much!
244410246_260858052583191_7601237894028343596_n.jpg
246379852_313188663947258_2389705304906241233_n.jpg

Check with EBI cruisers in Vancouver

Welcome to MUD !!

It’s worth keeping an eye on “Parting Out” in the Classifieds section.

Check out the Diesel Tech forum for advice on a possible swap.

Here’s some notes from various people on Diesel engines and swaps.

1HDT had 12 valves
1HDFT has 24 valves

1HDT has better simplicity
1HDFT has a good intercooler

The the torque peak is at a higher RPM on the 1HDFT with better overall power. Arguably better for freeway driving.

Not sure, but one engine might be easier to transplant? Bolt patterns are different from what I’m reading.

1HDT
Pros:
Factory Turbocharged
More headroom for power upgrades
Conventional Glowplugs
“Short” common A/C compressor

Cons:
BEB Issues

The HDJ parts are unavailable at US dealers (mainly only engine stuff, everything else is the same) but it is very easy to get parts from overseas and from US companies that support these beasts.

1HD-FT
Pros:
Highest factory power/torque figures out of the box
24 valves
Most Sophisticated Toyota Mechanical Diesel
Lots of Headroom for more power/torque

Cons:
Limited Availability
Expensive
Added Complexity
Challenging Valve Adjustment
"Long" A/C Clutch - Limited Availability

Switch to Glow Screen instead of conventional Glow Plugs

It sort of depends what your total budget will be. For example, if going the FT means you can't afford an intercooler/exhaust then i would stick with a 1HDT. However if down the track you'll have budget to do basic upgrades to the FT, then its probably worth spending a little extra.

The Glow Screen on the FT can be removed when you add an intercooler (you won't need it here), the valve adjustment is actually pretty straight forward once you figure it out and doesn't require swapping in different shims (i find the FT much easier to adjust), the only issue with the FT is parts can be a little harder to find.

As for looms, the 1HZ/1HDT/1HDFT should all pretty much work with the same loom with minor modifications. I mean you have power to the pump solenoid, oil pressure sender, glow screen/glow plugs (not required), water temp sensor... that about it.

However both engines desperately need an upgraded/free flowing exhaust at minimum, they also both really benefit from an EGT gauge, an intercooler and and upgraded airbox (late model 1FZ airbox is a good upgrade).

It’s probably better/easily to just sell your current cruiser and buy a HDJ80... instead of swapping motors. Good deals do come up from time to time and you'll have far better resale in future. If you can be bothered going to the effort of swapping an engine, id personally upgrade to a 105 series and drop an FTE engine in (if it was me personally).

Diesel Tech / 24 volts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/diesel-tech-24-volts.24/

Check out the Diesel Tech forum for advice on a possible swap.

Here’s some notes from various people on Diesel engines and swaps.

1HDT had 12 valves
1HDFT has 24 valves

1HDT has better simplicity
1HDFT has a good intercooler

The the torque peak is at a higher RPM on the 1HDFT with better overall power. Arguably better for freeway driving.

Not sure, but one engine might be easier to transplant? Bolt patterns are different from what I’m reading.

1HDT
Pros:
Factory Turbocharged
More headroom for power upgrades
Conventional Glowplugs
“Short” common A/C compressor

Cons:
BEB Issues

The HDJ parts are unavailable at US dealers (mainly only engine stuff, everything else is the same) but it is very easy to get parts from overseas and from US companies that support these beasts.

1HD-FT
Pros:
Highest factory power/torque figures out of the box
24 valves
Most Sophisticated Toyota Mechanical Diesel
Lots of Headroom for more power/torque

Cons:
Limited Availability
Expensive
Added Complexity
Challenging Valve Adjustment
"Long" A/C Clutch - Limited Availability

Switch to Glow Screen instead of conventional Glow Plugs

It sort of depends what your total budget will be. For example, if going the FT means you can't afford an intercooler/exhaust then i would stick with a 1HDT. However if down the track you'll have budget to do basic upgrades to the FT, then its probably worth spending a little extra.

The Glow Screen on the FT can be removed when you add an intercooler (you won't need it here), the valve adjustment is actually pretty straight forward once you figure it out and doesn't require swapping in different shims (i find the FT much easier to adjust), the only issue with the FT is parts can be a little harder to find.

As for looms, the 1HZ/1HDT/1HDFT should all pretty much work with the same loom with minor modifications. I mean you have power to the pump solenoid, oil pressure sender, glow screen/glow plugs (not required), water temp sensor... that about it.

However both engines desperately need an upgraded/free flowing exhaust at minimum, they also both really benefit from an EGT gauge, an intercooler and and upgraded airbox (late model 1FZ airbox is a good upgrade).

It’s probably better/easily to just sell your current cruiser and buy a HDJ80... instead of swapping motors. Good deals do come up from time to time and you'll have far better resale in future. If you can be bothered going to the effort of swapping an engine, id personally upgrade to a 105 series and drop an FTE engine in (if it was me personally).

Diesel Tech / 24 volts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/diesel-tech-24-volts.24/
Thanks! We'll take a look for sure

Also try 4Wheel Auto in Edmonton.

I might have what you need. I have few engines on hands. I will send you PM tomorrow morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom