Intro & Ongoing Build Thread - '84 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice find on the boot... now marked in my "Watch" stuff on ebay.. have a few things that I just monitor there as they are items that eventually need to be replaced but are not in dire need.

And the stubby wrench does make perfect sense. Luckily I am desmogged so I don't have to deal with all the emissions garbage being in the way. But I still did a stubby for myself just to make getting in there easier.. Now if I could find a narrow walled ratchting wrench that would be AWESOME!!

Today was fairly productive.

-Set the timing to 7 degrees BTDC...was a little off before.

-Adjusted valve lash. Had a few valves that were too tight but some were correct. Didn't have any that felt too loose.

-Spent entirely too long cleaning the grime off the valve cover, but it sure is purdy now! Also installed new valve cover gasket which was a good idea. The old one was very hard and cracked in multiple spots.

-New plugs, wires, dizzy cap/rotor.

-Pulled the carb and replaced the Keyster accelerator pump plunger with OEM. Soaked the OEM one in synthetic gear oil for about 30 minutes prior to install. Seemed to move much smoother in the cylinder than the Keyster rubber plunger.

-Checked for manifold crack below where carb mounts. Nada! Woo!

-Adjusted carb idle mixture and speed. Still isn't perfect, and there still seems to be an issue with the accelerator pump...

Overall, I didn't really notice any improvement in how she's running.... :meh: But, I'm glad to have all this done anyway. Peace of mind...

While I was doing this work over the weekend, I got under the truck to look for any obvious exhaust leaks, since I have a pretty major "tick tick tick" when under load.

The photo is from below the truck looking up at the exhaust manifold area.

Item #1: Looks like a slip joint that has moved, but no real signs of carbon buildup or obvious exhaust leak.
Item #2: What the heck is this hole!? Is it supposed to be there or is something supposed to go to/from it? Looks like it has been blowing exhaust out of it...there's definitely some carbon build up.
Item #3: Hard to tell, but it is a ring electrical terminal with the wire either cut or out of the terminal. Know what it should be connected to?

IMG_1385.JPG

#1 looks like the flange for the exhaust mount is busted.
#2 is the inspection hole for the heat riser plate I think in the exhaust system (what you see below the carb when carb is removed)
#3 is the carb fan sensor mount

#1 looks like the flange for the exhaust mount is busted.
#2 is the inspection hole for the heat riser plate I think in the exhaust system (what you see below the carb when carb is removed)
#3 is the carb fan sensor mount
#1: I'll have to research this. Common issue? PITA or no biggy?

#2: Should/could this be expelling exhaust gases? Sure seems like it is/has been. Another thing I'll have to search for...

#3: Well I guess that's a good place for me to start troubleshooting why my carb fan isn't working. Ha! I found a random wire that's hanging loose from the little harness branch that serves the carb fuel cut solenoid green plug. Could that be the culprit!?

Thanks for your help!!!

#1 Not sure if it is common or not. to me that would indicate a broken motor mount at some point as the exhaust is not really fixed to anything nearby.

#2 Probably is expelling exhaust and why you smell it in the engine bay. Maybe able to simply fix by welding hole shut. @Output Shaft

#3 Nope... there should be a harness that is on the fender well near the carb fan and you will find a wire the comes out of it. This wire will connect to your carb fan sensor and tells it when to come on/shut off. There is some information on the forum about grounding the carb fan so that it will run regardless of engine temp when the engine is shut off.

If there is a stray wire coming from the ICS on your carb then that is a different issue in its own. Take a pic of that and post.

If the hole in the exhaust manifold marked #2 goes into the manifold... That's a mongo sized exhaust hole leak.

That spot is supposed to be the (plugged) pivot for the internal heat control valve normally found inside the ex manifold.

If it is indeed an unplugged hole... It needs to be plugged somehow.

Reference picture below:
image.jpeg

I'm guessing it's not wide open because I would assume it would be quite loud, even at idle with no load. The only time my exhaust leak is noticeable is when under load. At idle I can't hear anything but as soon as a load is put on the engine the exhaust tick is apparent.

However, there could be a minor leak there as it does look like some carbon deposit has been expelled from that hole. It actually looks like it's blown the carbon directly onto item #3 from the image above.

For the life of me I cannot find a photo of the back of a 2F exhaust manifod to see what it's supposed to look like... Does anyone have one??

Last edited:
A very common (guaranteed) exhaust leak is the the EGR j-pipe flange to manifold connection.
If you have that bolted on and the gasket hasn't been changed in a few years... It's leaking.

image.jpeg

@gregnash Here's the photos of where the wire comes from that's just dangling. Circled in white... It comes from the harness that serves the carb ICS and the brake fluid reservoir. Kind of hard to tell in the photos...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
My cargo area carpet was completely shot and I didn't want to shell out cash for new. I couldn't find any cargo mats that covered the whole area, either. So, I found a 5'x4' sheet of 1/8" thick rubber diamond plate mat on eBay for $37.50 and free shipping. Perfect! Well, almost perfect. I needed 5'-1"x4'-0", but oh, well. I used my old cargo carpet as a template and cut to fit. Other than smelling like an old nasty cigar, I'm very happy with it. Hopefully I can let it air out for a few days and it'll be fine...

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah that definitely could be @2 E L O .... Why not strip a little of the wire off and then do another piece of 12 or 14awg wire to the back of the sensor. Then take her out for a drive and see if it kicks on when you shut the engine off.. Remember the engine will have to get up to operating temp as the purpose is to keep air moving in the HOT engine bay.

Yeah that definitely could be @2 E L O .... Why not strip a little of the wire off and then do another piece of 12 or 14awg wire to the back of the sensor. Then take her out for a drive and see if it kicks on when you shut the engine off.. Remember the engine will have to get up to operating temp as the purpose is to keep air moving in the HOT engine bay.
I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

View attachment 1312532
Is that what you're looking for?
Thanks, @CuCruiser. I'm actually looking for the "rear" of the manifold, relative to the vehicle. Mainly, I want to see what a good/normal manifold looks like where I have the photo of what appears to be a hole in one of my previous posts.

I noticed some blue smoke (burning oil) from the exhaust today during deceleration. I've never really paid attention to see if it's done it before, but I haven't ever seen blue smoke on startup or acceleration. Because of that, I wouldn't think it's rings, I would lean toward valves. I just recently adjusted the valves--could they be too loose? Or would it only be due to valve seals?

I don't have any photos of that angle, sorry. But that hole is one of the pivots for the flap you see in OS's pic. It's pretty big hole, I think you would most definitely notice if that was your leak. I tried to reuse a exhaust donut once and I knew it was not going to work - immediately.:doh:

I'm going to leave the smoke to the experts.:hmm:

Does anyone know what these parts are? They were in a pile of random stuff in the cargo area when I bought the truck... I haven't been able to find a home for them, so perhaps they don't belong to the truck?

Thanks!

IMG_1841.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

Don't think those are LC related parts... the u-bolt is not something I have seen come off the truck, either much much bigger or much much smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom