Intro & Ongoing Build Thread - '84 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Randomly found this thread... There's a round hole in my exhaust....

This plug appears to address the exhaust manifold riser opening... I may have to try this plug if replacing the EGR j-tube gasket doesn't fix the exhaust leak that is driving me crazy...

Minor update...

I grounded the carb fan sensor wire rather than trying to connect it back to the manifold temp sensor. The fan runs perfectly, nice and smooth and quiet, every time I turn the ignition off.

I replaced the EGR j-tube gasket with the Remflex gasket. Well, I can't say I replaced it, I just installed one as there was not one installed! It had definitely been leaking after looking at both flange surfaces. However, even with the new one in, the 'tick' is still there--just not from this part.

I ordered the plug to fill the manifold heat riser shaft hole. That's definitely leaking, but probably not where the tick is coming from. I plan to pull off the a-pipe to weld up the joint between the flange and the pipe as it has separated and this is probably the source of the tick. It also looks like the manifold flange to pipe flange donut gasket is leaking and needs replaced.

I found yet another exhaust leak out by the rear axle. The PO had a shop remove the muffler and weld in two cats in its place so he could pass emissions. One of the welds is leaking pretty bad. I'll probably try to replace everything from the stock cat to the tailpipe. I don't have any exhaust shops local, so I'll probably buy the Walker parts from Amazon or RockAuto and piece it together...

Last edited:
Got the plug for the manifold heat flap installed. I held the plug on a 12mm socket with some chassis grease, then held the socket with a big pair of vise grips. That gave me just enough room with a brass BFH to tap the socket to drive the plug into the hole. I also used some Loctite sleeve retainer around the plug. It's not in there perfectly straight due to the carb fan temp sensor mount being in the way, but I don't think it's going anywhere.

Also, the A-pipe flange is welded and good to go. I now need new studs and nuts to attach the pipe back to the manifold. I got 2 of the studs out, but I need to get the 3rd out. That'll probably be a PITA...

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

Well, everything is buttoned back up and :censor::censor::censor::censor:!!!! I still have the same tick tick tick leaking noise... So, the next likely (and only remaining?) suspect is the manifold gasket to the cylinder head. :bang:

So, for now it'll stay as is until I have a good excuse to dig into it. I don't think I'm going to disassemble half the engine bay just to get rid of this stupid leak. :worms:

Pretty incredible (and frustrating) that I've repaired 4 areas with obvious leaks but they either weren't making the noise or weren't significantly contributing to the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom