Intro & Ongoing Build Thread - '84 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background: I bought a '96 LX450 in 2011 which started my Land Cruiser obsession. I did a substantial amount of repair/upgrades to that truck and sold it in 2013. I've been full of regret ever since. I finally convinced the :princess: to let me get another project which was a tall task with a 3 month old baby (our first kid). I was looking for a toy/project--not a DD--and something that wasn't a significant upfront investment, but still in reasonable condition. I don't have any experience with 60s, but they sure seemed to fit the bill and satiate my need to be a Land Cruiser owner once again.

Craigslist search resulted in an '84 with 285k miles about 2 hrs from home. It was in all original and unmolested condition, barring the radio head unit and door speakers. Some rust around wheel wells and tailgate but floor pans and drip rail looked good. It's been repainted (white over white) and there's some bondo and a few areas of body damage, but mostly low on the vehicle and relatively easy to repair. Both rocker panels are caved in... The interior was absolutely FILTHY, but complete and in relatively good condition. There's lots of oil caked on engine/undercarriage--appears to be combination of motor and power steering fluid. The owner reported some intermittent running issues and believes they've narrowed it down to the carb needing a refresh. New fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs.

IMG_0826 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

IMG_0830 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

IMG_0829 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

IMG_0885 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

I loaded up the wife/baby and went to take a look. We got her running with a bit of effort but there appears to be an issue with choke and/or float. Carb rebuild is definitely in order. When we got it running, it ran nice and smooth--very quiet. Transmission shifted well, 4WD engaged well. Wasps were hovering all around...found big nests inside the fender vents. I offered a little below the asking price and it was a done deal. Loaded her up and brought her home!!

IMG_0833 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

As I mentioned, the interior was just disgustingly filthy... So, first order of business--strip it down and clean the crap out of it.

IMG_1070 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

IMG_1071 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

So, plans are to get her good and cleaned up and then roadworthy--mainly just for driving around town--not planning any roadtrips or wheeling activities in the near future. Rebuild carb, address oil leaks, replace fluids, etc. Then maybe I'll address the rust...will probably go the bedliner route after rust is cut out and patched... So, this isn't as much of a "build" thread or an all out "restoration" thread, but I'll update it periodically (with photos, primarily) as things get addressed or as I come across noteworthy items...

As a side note, if anyone is parting out a 60/62... I'm in need of the following:

-"Land Cruiser" center plug from steering wheel - done
-E-brake handle boot - done
-Lower tailgate
-Passenger side rear bumper end - done
-Driver's side tail light lens - done

Last edited:
Background: I bought a '96 LX450 in 2011 which started my Land Cruiser obsession. I did a substantial amount of repair/upgrades to that truck and sold it in 2013. I've been full of regret ever since. I finally convinced the :princess: to let me get another project which was a tall task with a 3 month old baby (our first kid). I was looking for a toy/project--not a DD--and something that wasn't a significant upfront investment, but still in reasonable condition. I don't have any experience with 60s, but they sure seemed to fit the bill and satiate my need to be a Land Cruiser owner once again.

Craigslist search resulted in an '84 with 285k miles about 2 hrs from home. It was in all original and unmolested condition, barring the radio head unit and door speakers. Some rust around wheel wells and tailgate but floor pans and drip rail looked good. It's been repainted (white over white) and there's some bondo and a few areas of body damage, but mostly low on the vehicle and relatively easy to repair. Both rocker panels are caved in... The interior was absolutely FILTHY, but complete and in relatively good condition. There's lots of oil caked on engine/undercarriage--appears to be combination of motor and power steering fluid. The owner reported some intermittent running issues and believes they've narrowed it down to the carb needing a refresh. New fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs. Asking $2,750.

IMG_0826 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

IMG_0830 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

IMG_0829 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

IMG_0885 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

I loaded up the wife/baby and went to take a look. We got her running with a bit of effort but there appears to be an issue with choke and/or float. Carb rebuild is definitely in order. When we got it running, it ran nice and smooth--very quiet. Transmission shifted well, 4WD engaged well. Wasps were hovering all around...found big nests inside the fender vents. I offered $2,000 and it was a done deal. Loaded her up and brought her home!!

IMG_0833 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

As I mentioned, the interior was just disgustingly filthy... So, first order of business--strip it down and clean the crap out of it--which is in progress at this point.

IMG_1070 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

IMG_1071 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

So, plans are to get her good and cleaned up and then roadworthy--mainly just for driving around town--not planning any roadtrips or wheeling activities in the near future. Rebuild carb, address oil leaks, replace fluids, etc. Then maybe I'll address the rust...will probably go the bedliner route after rust is cut out and patched... So, this isn't as much of a "build" thread or an all out "restoration" thread, but I'll update it periodically (with photos, primarily) as things get addressed or as I come across noteworthy items...

As a side note, if anyone is parting out a 60/62... I'm in need of the following:

-"Land Cruiser" center plug from steering wheel
-E-brake handle boot
-Lower tailgate
-Passenger side rear bumper end
-Driver's side tail light lens
Good luck on your project. I just wanted to comment on the interior shot. How is it that people can let their vehicle get that gross inside? When I got my 86 FJ60, it was the same story, 30 years of other peoples dna.

Good luck on your project. I just wanted to comment on the interior shot. How is it that people can let their vehicle get that gross inside? When I got my 86 FJ60, it was the same story, 30 years of other peoples dna.
I don't get it, either. I don't mind a little dust here and there...it's not like I detail my vehicles every month, but WOW, I don't understand letting it get so far gone. I have a dog and understand the hair is a pain to manage, but it's like they didn't even bother. I pulled the carpet out and I had a nasty layer of dirt and dust all over my arms. The carpet has never been pulled before...32 years of dust and neglect. Pretty unreal. And friggin gross!!!

How gross is this?

image.jpeg

Mine got Rhinolinered up to that first body line and that covered all the rust I had in similar spots to yours. Its the same color white as the truck and looks killer, i get all sorts of compliments. I did the bumpers in black rhino liner and It all works well together. Have fun
IMG_3141.jpg
IMG_2647.jpg

Mine got Rhinolinered up to that first body line and that covered all the rust I had in similar spots to yours. Its the same color white as the truck and looks killer, i get all sorts of compliments. I did the bumpers in black rhino liner and It all works well together. Have funView attachment 1295637View attachment 1295639

That looks great! I'm undecided on what to do in regards to extent (which body line to follow) and color (white or black?) of bedliner. I worry about the color match with white paint and white bedliner...Can you post some close ups of yours?

My Buddy did all the body work and paint. He said it comes clear and you add whatever color you want. He sprayed it, and from what i recall the ambient temperature was a concern, it was winter and took like a week to get hot enough to do it. He wanted to go a shade darker so it looked different but we did it all the same off white and it looks killer. We fixed all the metal that was rusted but because of the rhino liner it didn't have to be perfect.

Making a little progress on the interior...

Seat covers have gone through the washing machine a couple times...

Carpet is as clean as it's going to get for now. Shop vac'd, pounded out dust with tennis racket, power washed with hot water, sprayed down with Simple Green, then power washed again. Looks pretty good...

Headliner is also cleaned... Very happy it's vinyl and not fabric!!! Sprayed it down with Simple Green and wiped down with a rag. Worked like a charm.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Interior is all deep cleaned and back together. That sucked. Glad to be done with it, and it looks friggin great.

So great, in fact, that I decided to take it for a quick drive today, even though I knew it was a gamble based on what the PO told me. Sure enough, after about 10 minutes of running perfectly it died on me. It starts right back up, but dies after a couple seconds of running. If I hit the throttle it dies. It'll run for maybe a couple extra seconds if I use the choke, but still dies. I tried checking the float sight glass and fuel level appeared to be correct, but it was hard to see in the harsh afternoon lighting.

The PO installed new fuel pump and new fuel filter to no avail, and was told by a mechanic that it needed a carb rebuild.

I have a carb rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters and hope to tackle that this week if I can find any spare time. So, is there anything in particular that I should be cognizant of or pay extra attention to while I'm rebuilding the carb or have the carb out of the vehicle? Any idea what would cause an issue like this? I'm assuming carb, but could it be a smog equipment issue? I don't really want to desmog...at least not right now.

TIA.

If the engine was running for ten minutes then died.... Then starts up and runs a bit, then dies. That "seems" like a fuel starvation issue.

If the PO replaced the fuel pump with a genuine Toyota pump, then the pump is fine. If it's not a Toyota pump, I'd be very suspicious of it and replace it.

But before that, I'd change the fuel filter regardless. There could be lots of crud in the gas tank rapidly clogging the fuel filter.

Then if those two things don't help, I'd try an Oki Rebuild before unbolting the carb. But the carb eventually should be rebuilt anyway.. I'm sure it's way overdue.

Tried to do the Okie rebuild this morning but it wouldn't stay running for me. It did the same thing as yesterday--started, ran for a couple seconds, died. Start, run, die, repeat... So, I pulled the carb off and disassembled and have it in the Berryman dip...

What a PITA to get the carb off these things!! I'm used to working on my '69 Mustang with a small block Ford... Remove air cleaner, disconnect throttle linkage, disconnect fuel line, and EASILY remove 4 baseplate nuts.

Not so easy on the 2F. I used all these tools just to get the stupid carb off. I'll definitely be buying a stubby 12mm wrench before reassembly.

image.jpeg

Good luck on your journey. I had an 85 with many of the same problems.

As for the carb, mine was in good shape. I went with a full desmog to get better performance.

Tried to do the Okie rebuild this morning but it wouldn't stay running for me. It did the same thing as yesterday--started, ran for a couple seconds, died. Start, run, die, repeat... So, I pulled the carb off and disassembled and have it in the Berryman dip...

What a PITA to get the carb off these things!! I'm used to working on my '69 Mustang with a small block Ford... Remove air cleaner, disconnect throttle linkage, disconnect fuel line, and EASILY remove 4 baseplate nuts.

Not so easy on the 2F. I used all these tools just to get the stupid carb off. I'll definitely be buying a stubby 12mm wrench before reassembly.

View attachment 1299247
'69 mustang and a 60?! Let's be friends!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom