Intro of my new '85 FJ60 (kind of long)... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone I guess its time for an introduction. I've been a lurker for quite some time now. I originally began my Landcruiser addiction with a FZJ80. But my ex-wife decided she wanted to keep that in the divorice. So I had no other choice than sell my prized modded wrx wagon and buy another LC (I've become an addict). I Found an '85 FJ60 locally here for a little under 2K. 2nd owner with 205k on the odometer, the Maaco paint is fading, there is oil all over the place under the hood. The four speed is a little whiney but the transfer is about the same as the FZJ80. Interior is dirty but only a few small tears in the usual places. For a bonus it has a 35 gallon tank, 6 generic 31" AT, and a yakima roof rack. But best of all it has absolutely no RUST.

The PO hadn't registered in 6 years, but been using it to pick his kids up from the bus, so it just wasn't sitting. But i still have to get it to pass emissions. Took it down and it didn't do to bad. Passed the loaded HCs but not the idle, and failed the loaded and idled COs 5.99 under load and 1.99 at idle. The visual air system failed because of the hose that connects to air pump to the control valve, it wasn't there. (I looked and didn't even see it). So I ordered up a bunch of goodies from CDan. Sidenote, CDan rocks! Great service and really knowledgable guy, this was one of the reasons I convinced my exwife we should get a Landcruiser instead of a Land Rover. There were many more, but it is great to have this resource. Thanks Dan.

While I was waiting for the parts to arrive I decided I would start taking stuff apart and checking around, see if I could see some of the oil leaks and what not. Also, I had sprayed carb cleaner around some of the vacuum lines and around the intake manifold and it would almost stall the truck, so I wanted to investigate that further. I pulled all the plugs and noticed that 3 of them were barely hand tight and all the receptors on top were really loose. Did a compression test, Had one at 155, 158, 150, 145, 142, 148. I used a cheepy tester but am very happy with the results. Plugs didn't look bad except one side is tan and the other is black and very dirty. Next I pulled the carb and got to the manifold. Number 2 stud was 5 threads out, #1 was barely tight and #4 bolt (left side bottom) was absent. Also I broke the white a yellow check valve. Guess I will be ordering more parts. Valve cover looks to be the culprit of the oil, its pretty bad towards the back. So I guess I will replace that gasket and adjust the valves while I'm at it. Haven't decided if I should rebuild the carb while I have it off and replace all the vacuum hoses. It takes 30-40 minutes to warm up so I'm going to replace the thermostat. I also pulled the grill, the front and rear vents, and landcruiser emblems, going to black those out.

My ultimate goal is to get her ready for some expedition travels. Since I have no little peoples and no wife, I think its a great time to drive the panamerican hiway start to finish. Probably going to put a 12-HT/H55 in it for that, but I decided I would get all the other goodies for now, with the left overs from my wrx. So I can have something to enjoy while all the dust settles and I save up some $$.

Next mods will be a lift, OME Heavies, with a 1" body lift (not sure). Learned how to weld at work so I can build my bumpers, since I have two spares and the 35 gallon primary fuel tank I want to go with a dual tire carrier swingout for the rear and a homebrew winch mount front, some sliders, get a fridge and build a storage unit for the rear with internal sleeping for now. OBA would be really nice, so that will be in the works also. Dual batterys, a new stereo, another fuse panel, a power inverter, etc. I haven't decided on tires, thinking 32's maybe 33's. I want to get a FF rear, 4.11s and lockers (my FZJ80 was factory locked and I don't know if I can do with out them now). I know there is more I'm forgetting but that is the basic jist of things.

I had some pictures but my CF card wigged out and had to be formatted so I will take some pictures tomorrow of the dismantled rig.

As you can see I'm really excited.

I would like to thank everyone here who contributes to this forum. It is a great resource for everyone that loves Landcruisers.

miles

Costa Rica...... I went down there last year.... Loved it. Rented a Prado with a NA diesel. Drove down to Carate..... Have some pics of that... Went to El Salvador the year before that. y tambien vivi en Chile por 5 años. Just like that I love the Americas..... I want to get back down there soon.

DSCN3025.JPG

DSCN3087.JPG

DSCN3111.JPG

DSCN3120.JPG

DSCN3231.JPG

DSCN3242.JPG

DSCN0120.JPG

DSCN0124.JPG

Well the weekend saga continues.... I removed the intake/exhaust manifold. Pretty fun process, just imagining putting it all back together now. Seems that it isn't warped so that is good. Removed the valve cover. Again loose bolts all across the top. That will work as a reason to why there is so much oil everywhere. So now to order more parts and clean up the ones that I allready have off. Going to attempt to adjust the valve tomorrow. Also It looks like the rear heater hoses aren't OEM and are pretty mickey mouse so I guess I will look at replacing those two. One is too long and was kinked. Also looks like one of the freeze plugs is/was leeking coolant. I have to remember to bring the camera tomorrow for show and tell.

miles

Put a straight edge on that manifold combo just to be sure they're true. I found this post very helpful when adjusting valves.

Welcome to Mud!
:cheers:
Butt

Last edited:
Welcome to the addiction!!

Looking forward to the pictures, Sounds like you have a lot of great plans, for the cruiser, and the trip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom