Intro: New (to me) FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I wanted to take a second to share my new (to me) 1980 FJ45 and ask a couple questions along the way as I restore it. The previous owner imported the truck from Venezuela a few years ago to Florida, and while I live in Dallas I’ve wanted a ‘45 for so long I figured this was my chance.

AA087F25-8048-4DA5-AD92-B0C53A2FF8F1.jpeg

The truck is more or less rust free (just spots of surface rust), 2F with 5 speed transmission, power steering, and not much else. Pretty much every weatherstrip was missing (replaced most today), no a/c, missing clutch cable and a lot of dash buttons. Gauge cluster is present but few of them work.

C653215D-302A-40D1-B8A0-4EBFA597B36E.jpeg

(Interior photo is after some work like door panels)

On it’s shakedown cruise the alternator stopped charging the battery, and playing around with loose belts and wobbly pulley caused the water pump to give out. Alternator and pump are out, waiting on replacements.

DD74EAC8-1887-4780-80C6-CEFAB5CF841D.jpeg

A few problems I’m having which I’d love some help with:

1. The fan clutch has a completely stripped nut on it, any suggestions on how to get it off? I’ve tried PB blaster and heat but it’s more or less completely rounded after trying to force it off. I took the pump and clutch off together so it’s not in the way, but I’d prefer to not have to buy a new fan clutch since this one works

602B95FC-2921-4186-A8C6-71C22D5741BF.jpeg

2. The door handles have been rigged with homemade parts to connect to the door regulators, I’d prefer to not buy new door handles if I don’t have to but does anyone know where I can find the connector bit from the handle to the regulator? Or some crappy looking handles to cannibalize?

3. This question seems silly but the PO’s English wasn’t the best. How do I confirm if the transmission is the H55f? Is that the only 5 speed available even if it was built in Venezuela? I’m not super familiar with the non-US specs.

4. The wiring harness is hard to follow and the headlights gave out on me randomly so I’d like to just start from scratch, does anyone have a good recommendation for a wiring harness? Universal vs specific application?

Thanks in advance! I’ll keep posting as I get the truck sorted out.

H55F wasn't available until 10/82 and never in a long wheel base 40 series. A five speed behind a 2F would most likely be a H55F but was not installed as original equipment.

H55F wasn't available until 10/82 and never in a long wheel base 40 series. A five speed behind a 2F would most likely be a H55F but was not installed as original equipment.

Interesting, and good to know, thanks. I’d be happy to confirm if you know where to look? My only previous experience is an FJ60

The H55F used the same case as the H41/H42 Toyota four speed with a extension on the back before the transfer case. Case was case iron as well as the extension and painted black.

OH... I would try the largest pair of Vice Grips you can get on that nut. If that doesn't work a Dremel and a cutoff disc may work but it's tough not to damage the threads on the stud. For the wiring I would point you to @Coolerman and his website. I don't have any idea for the door parts, sorry. I think you have a nice starting point!!

OH... I would try the largest pair of Vice Grips you can get on that nut. If that doesn't work a Dremel and a cutoff disc may work but it's tough not to damage the threads on the stud. For the wiring I would point you to @Coolerman and his website. I don't have any idea for the door parts, sorry. I think you have a nice starting point!!

Awesome website I hadn’t seen, thanks!

By the way, if anyone is interested in the farm rack (sorry if that’s not the right term) let me know I’d be willing to part with it.

Hate to say it, but these trucks were worked hard down south( they were work trucks) then the market goes up, they get patched together, and sold in the states. You will be chasing a lot of short cuts. I wouldn’t even think about fixing the wiring, new harness will be much easier. The rust free Venezuela 45 is a myth, probably going to find body work, frame issues. Don’t meen to be negative, just giving you a heads up. You need to have a game plan and stick with it. Daily driver, fix issues, complete teardown and restore? It can all be fixed with time and money!

Hate to say it, but these trucks were worked hard down south( they were work trucks) then the market goes up, they get patched together, and sold in the states. You will be chasing a lot of short cuts. I wouldn’t even think about fixing the wiring, new harness will be much easier. The rust free Venezuela 45 is a myth, probably going to find body work, frame issues. Don’t meen to be negative, just giving you a heads up. You need to have a game plan and stick with it. Daily driver, fix issues, complete teardown and restore? It can all be fixed with time and money!

Exactly, once the USA market goes up, (with the limited number of FJ45's ever brought in), the rest of the world finds a way to supply the people who want one. Gives them a bunch of money they never thought would happen. Kind of like selling a counterfeit coin.

Ditto on the vice grips. Should come off. A little kroil or WD40 might help.

@whitey45 @1969FJ, I hear what you’re saying for sure and I’m expecting to find a lot more issues (like the doors are a bit mashed because someone had a 70 series dash in it before). But if it counts for anything the PO imported the truck when he moved from Venezuela and isn’t importing any ole truck he finds to flip in the US. If you believe him 😉

@whitey45 @1969FJ, I hear what you’re saying for sure and I’m expecting to find a lot more issues (like the doors are a bit mashed because someone had a 70 series dash in it before). But if it counts for anything the PO imported the truck when he moved from Venezuela and isn’t importing any ole truck he finds to flip in the US. If you believe him 😉

Does it have a Toyota rear axle or a Dana rear axle? Seen 75 series truck import have a Dana axle as a requirement that a certain percentage had to be assembled locally. Where is the hand brake located? 1/79 4X series between the torque tube and fuel tank did no have the clearance for a H55F and transfer case with a hand brake. I'm in Arizona as well but spend most my time in the northern half at higher elevations. Last time I was in your location a few years back when I meet a member from San Diego to trade PTOs.

It probably does have a Dana 60 variant in the rear. It's a semi-float rear end and parts are a bit hard to procure, or at least they were. I'd run it until you need to fix it then look at picking up a land cruiser rear end.

As for the water pump stud, you can also try squaring off 2 sides on it with a dremel to get a wrench or vise grips to grab better.

Good luck! Get the brakes, cooling system and electrical underway. I second the finding another harness or getting one from coolerman if it's hacked up at all.

I’m not sure if it’s a Dana or Toyota axle sorry, but pictures are attached for clarification. Hand brake is on the floor behind the shifter.

25DF872C-483A-4820-BDFD-B9F2E13B8B25.jpeg

9690ADC2-2DF6-4758-BE77-BFA31C5AFB6B.jpeg

9713EC7A-1987-4DDC-84DC-7F95A50362EC.jpeg

(the wet concrete is from washing the underside).

@Living in the Past unfortunately I’m not in AZ anymore but I do miss it.

This is an H55f, notice the little shifter on the top. if it does not have that little shifter on the top but looks the same externally then it is an H41 or H42 with the extension housing. and that is a dana/toyota axle. Dana center, toyota outer pieces.. that country had some weird agreement on the build/importation of that style of truck.

h55disassemble2.jpg

This is the correct top cover for the 4X series H55F which put the transmission shift cane in the same position as the four speeds. All new covers are for the 60/70 series which moves the transmission shift cane further back.
IMG_20200224_131901031.jpg
IMG_20200219_141020196.jpg
IMG_20200224_131920851.jpg

I’m not sure if it’s a Dana or Toyota axle sorry, but pictures are attached for clarification. Hand brake is on the floor behind the shifter.

View attachment 2335616

View attachment 2335618

View attachment 2335619
(the wet concrete is from washing the underside).

@Living in the Past unfortunately I’m not in AZ anymore but I do miss it.

Thats a Dana 60. Semi-float Venezuela spec. Which is interesting...

Some history from @AlbertoSD
Since 1983, Toyota of Venezuela has been using Dana 60 differentials in many of the Land Cruiser variations (FJ60, FJ62, FJ70, FZJ70, and FZJ71). All FZJ80 came with factory Toyota Semi-floating (SF) or full floating (FF) rear axles and some FZJ71 (some during the year 2006 and 2007) came with Toyota FF rear axles. The vast mayority of the 60 and 70 series came with Dana 60 from factory. They were not transferred from other vehicles but rather a partnership between Toyota of Venezuela and Dana for several years.

It would seem that 1980 FJ45 shouldn't have this Dana rear end, so probably swapped. And the 5 speed as well is swapped so who knows. Have you looked up the VIN on toyodiy or posted the VIN Plate/tag?

Last edited:
It would seem that 1980 FJ45 shouldn't have this Dana rear end, so probably swapped. And the 5 speed as well is swapped so who knows. Have you looked up the VIN on toyodiy or posted the VIN Plate/tag?

No 1980 model 40 would have had a hand brake on the rear axle. 8/80 (81 model) only short and mid wheel base 40 series had the hand brake on the rear axle. The long wheel base had it on the split transfer case. Because of the extra length with the hand brake clearance was a problem by the torque tube/fuel tank. For some reason Toyota decided not to ran a long brake cable to the rear axle on the long wheel base 40 series even though the long 60 series did had the hand brake on the rear axle. If parts are hard to locate for the semi floating Dana axle would start looking now for a full floating 40 series axle from 8/80+ or from a 70 series. With a hand brake and being from Venezuela good chance the current axle was from a 70 series. Haven't decided which route to go on my FJ45. Only thing that has been decided is it will have a split transfer case and PTO winch.

No 1980 model 40 would have had a hand brake on the rear axle. 8/80 (81 model) only short and mid wheel base 40 series had the hand brake on the rear axle. The long wheel base had it on the split transfer case. Because of the extra length with the hand brake clearance was a problem by the torque tube/fuel tank. For some reason Toyota decided not to ran a long brake cable to the rear axle on the long wheel base 40 series even though the long 60 series did had the hand brake on the rear axle. If parts are hard to locate for the semi floating Dana axle would start looking now for a full floating 40 series axle from 8/80+ or from a 70 series. With a hand brake and being from Venezuela good chance the current axle was from a 70 series. Haven't decided which route to go on my FJ45. Only thing that has been decided is it will have a split transfer case and PTO winch.

Owner previous to the one I bought it from apparently put in a 70 series dash so it makes sense to me that they would’ve taken other parts from the 70 (like rear axle and transmission). I’ll try to post VIN tonight

Owner previous to the one I bought it from apparently put in a 70 series dash so it makes sense to me that they would’ve taken other parts from the 70 (like rear axle and transmission). I’ll try to post VIN tonight

2DF21567-1856-4491-AE4D-F704207FCA02.jpeg

Frame: FJ45-905256
FJ45LPK-UND-23527

edit: you can see the original sky blue under the wonderfully done paint job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom