Intro New Member LJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time reading /reviewing various posts finally decided to join the fray. 1990 LJ73 with 2LT-E and 5-speed manual. Original Spain rig now in the CO Rockies. Looking forward to learning more about the 70 series land cruisers.

IMG_20191110_155631.jpg

IMG_20191110_155608.jpg

Long time reading /reviewing various posts finally decided to join the fray. 1990 LJ73 with 2LT-E and 5-speed manual. Original Spain rig now in the CO Rockies. Looking forward to learning more about the 70 series land cruisers.

View attachment 2249349

View attachment 2249361
Welcome!
I'm new to 70-series too. Learning everyday from people on this forum. Made the migration from 40-series.

IMG_20200301_154839.jpg

Really cool colour scheme and rare Landcruiser. A real keeper.
You will avoid a rusty roof like so many of the 70 series suffer and you have an extra 10 inches or so with not much extra weight.

View attachment 2249349

View attachment 2249361

Nice cruiser! Congrats!
As someone who has never owned a 70 or even a diesel cruiser - I have just lurked around here reading up on others posts - the 2L-TE engine isn't favored a lot by the enthusiasts. It's EFI isn't the easiest to work with and a lot of JDM imports were overheated at some point and had cylinder head issues.
Here's more info: A must read for 2lte/1kzte owners

View attachment 2249349

View attachment 2249361

Beauty truck! You sure it's not a 2LT-II in there? The 2LT-II is the mechanical injection version of the 2LTE. A fine engine if you keep on top of the maintenance.

Welcome! Cruiser looks to be in excellent shape.

very jealous of your half doors! I really wish Toyota put them on all FRP tops. Great color! More pictures!

we lived in Greeley for over 20 years, just moved from that craziness about 2 years ago. Lots of time in Loveland and up the canyon. Only about 2 1/2 hours away right now so maybe we could get a cruiser get together with other cruiser friends of mine in the area.

You will love taking the top off of that in the summer. I sure do!

93CC0BE7-9DF8-431E-8BB0-F362F0BFFC2F.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome! Cruiser looks to be in excellent shape.

very jealous of your half doors! I really wish Toyota put them on all FRP tops. Great color! More pictures!

we lived in Greeley for over 20 years, just moved from that craziness about 2 years ago. Lots of time in Loveland and up the canyon. Only about 2 1/2 hours away right now so maybe we could get a cruiser get together with other cruiser friends of mine in the area.

You will love taking the top off of that in the summer. I sure do!

View attachment 2249988

Thanks much. Definitely would like to touch base and get with others in the 4x4 community. Keep me posted when there's a time and place to meet up. Really like the look of your rig. I've been nervous about taking the top off - heard it's a bear to fit back on and seal. Is that true? We're originally from NE, grew up in Lincoln and just inherited the family farm near Broken Bow. Are you out in the panhandle?

Nice cruiser! Congrats!
As someone who has never owned a 70 or even a diesel cruiser - I have just lurked around here reading up on others posts - the 2L-TE engine isn't favored a lot by the enthusiasts. It's EFI isn't the easiest to work with and a lot of JDM imports were overheated at some point and had cylinder head issues.
Nice cruiser! Congrats!

Good info and I've seen many concerns with overheating and crack heads. This one has not run hot so far and taking as many precautions as possible to avoid that. Continue to learn more about that and do whatever possible to mitigate - Thanks again

Beauty truck! You sure it's not a 2LT-II in there? The 2LT-II is the mechanical injection version of the 2LTE. A fine engine if you keep on top of the maintenance.

You may be correct - still learning about these rides. The model is LJ73LV - MNXW if that defines it better. I just popped the hood and on the cover says Turbo 2L-T. Assumed it was a 2LTE

You may be correct - still learning about these rides. The model is LJ73LV - MNXW if that defines it better. I just popped the hood and on the cover says Turbo 2L-T. Assumed it was a 2LTE

Sounds like a 2LT-II. Just take a picture of the ID plate (under hood on firewall). And the engine if you don't mind. Would be nice to see.

Thanks much. Definitely would like to touch base and get with others in the 4x4 community. Keep me posted when there's a time and place to meet up. Really like the look of your rig. I've been nervous about taking the top off - heard it's a bear to fit back on and seal. Is that true? We're originally from NE, grew up in Lincoln and just inherited the family farm near Broken Bow. Are you out in the panhandle?

Yep panhandle, outside of OG area. Never thought I’d move here, but here we are. Will be back soon if all goes well, although kind of nice being in the middle of nowhere especially right now.

the top isn’t too bad, but you need help of another or a hoist system to not ding anything. Mine came off easily and sealed back fine with no issues over the winter. I replaced the front lip seal because it was dry but other than that cheap seal no issues.
it took about an hour the first time, next will be quicker for sure.
We be cool to have a get together in the summer!

More info . Like other markets, different engine combinations are from what the dealers order and emissions laws
1585271465106.png

Looks like the first generation 2LT actually! But being that it's manufactured when most markets had the 2LT-II, it could share some parts. Interesting! Well, the good news is, those early 2LT's had way fewer overheating problems. We had them here in Canada in mid 80's hilux pick-ups, and they seem to last fine. Again, maintenance is key.

Looks like the first generation 2LT actually! But being that it's manufactured when most markets had the 2LT-II, it could share some parts. Interesting! Well, the good news is, those early 2LT's had way fewer overheating problems. We had them here in Canada in mid 80's hilux pick-ups, and they seem to last fine. Again, maintenance is key.

Long term durability is good news. I will change my records to the first generation 2LT engine. This will help with tracking down parts. It has a vertical oil filter which I think aligns with the original 2LT engine - correct? It has 153,600 km miles so as you indicate staying on top of the recommended maintenance intervals should result in many additional years of motoring. Really appreciate your guidance and experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom