Intro! Lexus/toyota called my name again but scared of let down. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I’ve been snooping around and searching for awhile for research. Finally joined.

I found a 06 lx470. After finding rusted ones or ones are irrationally inflated price wise. I’ve had 97 4runner that lasted me 100k after getting it at 230k(should of never sold that) And a 94 sc400 that I just sold a few months ago( sort of regret that)

I have a few questions after searching for answers that I’m still confused about. Before I become an official member just a few things I would like to know before pulling cash out.

*The bad*
-Vgrs light is flashing. During Test drive it stayed on. Steering wheel was centered.

- rear diff is either leaking or it could just be filth(see pic)
45B33ABE-9964-4A18-BB51-6065329250B3.jpeg

-left rear door does not open from inside

-ahc works very, fast up and down, don’t know if this is good or not. Fluid looks fresh and I checked for graduations. Seems full.

-telescoping wheel does Not telescope but I can adjust it manually

-the overall frame looks good but a few spots have me worried(see picture.)
E9E1A594-22C8-459F-A981-9A0CC840D1B2.jpeg

01D59F1D-0F50-40BC-956B-EC675890711C.jpeg

62AA3F5B-3A25-4073-B67A-74A7B849DBD3.jpeg

39F94512-F1DC-45E0-AFB8-749606628155.jpeg

-AC does not blow cold(dealer will try to fix this or agreed to price reduction if can’t be done.)

- I don’t hear a whine or noise from brake cylinder/pump. Brakes work, I was sitting in the driver seat, pumped the brakes while idling ten times, abs, vsc off, and another light flashed with a buzzing sound for a few seconds then it went away? Fluid was dark brown.

-Hose clamps and hoses look like they need to be replaced. Fan sounds loud to me. Ran for awhile and no overheating

-Cheap but nice looking, jerry rigged amazon headlights, turn signals don’t work in front

-truck has 235k miles. They want 14k(yes, will be getting this down)

*The good and an alternative*
Interior and exterior are great, rear hatch works with no rust, timing belt and water pump done 50k ago from the sticker on the engine. Heater tees replaced with metal ones.Has service records. Very smooth and quiet during test drive, shifts great.

Seems it became a teenagers before owner sold it off.

A better condition gx470 with slightly more miles but I like the aesthetics of the lx more. The gx470 is near mint for 245k miles.

Thank you all for being a great resource!

How good of a mechanic are you and how much money do you want to spend on top of the asking price? Things like the brown brake fluid and possibly failed brake booster unit, leaking diff, etc will add up fast if you're paying someone for the labor. All of the issues sound to me like a lack of maintenance. Personally I would not buy it for that price, but I'm hella cheap.

How good of a mechanic are you and how much money do you want to spend on top of the asking price? Things like the brown brake fluid and possibly failed brake booster unit, leaking diff, etc will add up fast if you're paying someone for the labor. All of the issues sound to me like a lack of maintenance. Personally I would not buy it for that price, but I'm hella cheap.
I’m learning as I go. Brought a motorcycle back to life last year.. doing clutch and and a carb rebuild. Did some suspension stuff and cooling work on 4runner but I still use YouTube for help. I do enjoy wrenching to a degree. And this is a second vehicle, though I plan to use it often as I can

I’m also fairly cheap and plan to spend no more than 10k if I purchase it. 2-3k for the initial year to get it road trip worthy. Will baseline the basics of course.

Does it look like the diff is leaking? Is that alarm I experienced a foreshadowing of a bad booster?

The brake issue is getting cheaper to reconcile but no less annoying or dangerous. Try to do the 30-40 pump test, check runtime, and then do new Toyota fluid when you can.

Rust is not an issue, that frame looks good. Wire wheel, some phospo and por15 on those spots and they will outlast the rest of the frame.

The AC would be a bigger issue to me. It's an expensive repair and you don't want them to half ass it.

Take more pics of that rear diff if possible, it's tough to see what's going on there.

Those upper control arms don't look Toyota or at least Toyota quality with all that bird shot left over from welding. Not saying good or bad just pointing out it doesn't look like a quality part.

The brake issue is getting cheaper to reconcile but no less annoying or dangerous. Try to do the 30-40 pump test, check runtime, and then do new Toyota fluid when you can.

Rust is not an issue, that frame looks good. Wire wheel, some phospo and por15 on those spots and they will outlast the rest of the frame.

The AC would be a bigger issue to me. It's an expensive repair and you don't want them to half ass it.

Take more pics of that rear diff if possible, it's tough to see what's going on there.

Those upper control arms don't look Toyota or at least Toyota quality with all that bird shot left over from welding. Not saying good or bad just pointing out it doesn't look like a quality part.
Thank you, gives me some possible range of how much I will need to spend to get it proper order

AHC seems okay. The ride does feel smooth. Just not sure how fast it should operate

Got the guy down to about 11k now. A few more pics.

Brake reservoir looks ehh
4A4D004D-0DBF-4209-93B9-5C1094E0D426.jpeg

Radiator seems original
CD423324-7C3D-4204-8C34-D731481F65F2.jpeg

Half done amazon headlights smh
07073547-F46C-4AD0-A6F4-055B22568F3E.jpeg

80D94FE6-2491-4868-8DEA-C7C77AF978E2.jpeg

5170470B-AC3F-4626-8AD5-3C6198F30AE4.jpeg

There are quite a few 100s for sale here in CO that look pretty good. Might check Denver before buying this. Lots of shops who can inspect them as well. Most are cheaper than 11k.

There are quite a few 100s for sale here in CO that look pretty good. Might check Denver before buying this. Lots of shops who can inspect them as well. Most are cheaper than 11k.
When I see sketchy things I'm not just worried about those things that I see, but also about every other thing that person has interacted with. House, vehicle, any purchase for me considers this.

The chassis looks fine, no rust issues to be really worried about.

You should ask @YezusLX about his experience buying a basketcase LX.

My first car was a 95 SC400. Really wish I'd kept that one. You will, too, in about a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom