Intro and question -Big coolant leak at back of head/motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brief history: I just bought a 94 FZJ, my first LC. The body and undercarriage looked great. Interior is pretty rough but mostly complete. Has factory lockers. Started it and sounded good, but seller said the water pump was probably bad and it had a significant leak about half way back on the motor. I thought probably HG, but it was $1300 so I bought it and hauled it home.

Given what I thought on the engine, my initial plan was to pull it and start an LS swap. Got it home and poured some water in it, which streamed down the side of the motor from behind the front exhaust manifold about as fast as I put it in. As I pulled the exhaust manifold to check it out, the bottom half of the oil cooler cover fell off. I thought I'd gotten pretty lucky, so I ordered a new cover (thanks Beno) and put it on. This time when adding coolant, water starts running down the passenger side of the transmission, again almost as fast as I can add it. Thought rear heater, but it's actually coming from back of motor/head and running down the bell housing. Using mirrors etc it looks like it's streaming out from above an expansion plug at the back, but haven't been able to tell for sure.

Any idea where I could be losing that much water from that location? I don't really want to dedicate much more time and money to this motor, but if it's an easy patch it would be nice to have it running while I go to work on the suspension etc in prep for the swap that I still want to do.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I just got a '94 and replace all the heater hoses and PHH and now have a leak just like this. Did you ever sort this out? Anybody else had this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom