Intro and a Big Thank You (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How's it going all?

I bought a 2000 lx470 about 3 months back. My budget and thinking said gen 3 4Runner, but when the LX came onto the radar just above budget with 179k miles, I had to check it out. Engine was a deep humming/purr and the transmission engaged quickly, shifting cleanly while accelerating through the gears. The frame looked straight, no bolts turned and a clean CarFax along with receipts for replacing the AHC and entire power steering system within the last 3 years sold me quick.

Timing belt and water pump service along with flushing the transmission at Lexus was my first stop. I requested a post purchase inspection, which ended up recommending the drive belts and one headlight to be replacemed. The exterior was mediocre, with half a dozen dings and dents accompanying a paint chipped and scraped front and rear bumper and a roof faded down to primer in parts. . The Nakamichi system wiring is bad, but all 4 speakers work, only 2 need refurbishing. I still haven't tested the sub. General had been neglected shy of a couple oil changes for a few years (25/30k miles), so there was (still is) a lot of work to be done, but who cares? I just got a Land Cruiser...

Entering 2020 I was about as handy as a foot. Thanks to countless hours reading forums and watching YouTube, I was able to change oil and oil filter, engine air filter, cabin filter, remove door panels to get speakers, remove OEM roof rack, remove spare tire(plug kit and compressor for city driving), change spark plugs, grease chassis and drive shaft, change transfer case oil, rear & front differential oil (oh my sludge in front with a ton of powder on magnet but no chunks). I also sanded, primed, painted and clear coated the 4 corners where most of the paint damage was. A considerable amount of direction I followed and parts/fluids I used was based on recommendation and experience from these threads.

I've taken a couple overnight trips including my first off-road(kind of sort of) trek behind Big Sur through a service road in the forrest and up the mountains. I got a taste and I want more.

Hook, line and sinker y'all. I always find myself back on these forums 2-3 times a week, so I figured I should actually participate and say hi. And also thank you. A big thank you. This has been an extremely informative and educational journey of which I have the feeling I am at only the very beginning.

Next up on my ASAP to do list is finding the source of oil seepage coming from the front passenger boot/cv/diff area. Tighten e-brake, repaint roof and find the source of wiring issue for the entertainment system is on there too. Oh, and curveball, work took in an 06 LX470 that has a super clean Lexus serviced history with everything optioned in solid condition(I actually am looking more thoroughly now that I know what to look for), the only thing is there are 231k miles on it. Do I buy it and swap, get it for just for some parts and sell it, do nothing? I am at an impasse. That pearl white paint is so nice though... : )

Anyway, thanks again for doing what y'all do and I look forward to continuing to learn a ton and build up the truck(s) on this epic journey.

Welcome -- it really is amazing the amount of information available on the forum. Learning to turn a wrench is always a blast!

Pictures or it didn't happen! Oh and welcome to the obsession!💰💰

Today I embark on the task of changing the front diff seal on the passenger side. This is going to be the most intensive work I’ve put in this far. The threads on here are the only reason I’m doing it myself...
91BF0D93-55A3-4DA6-8BD7-AF8C26E9438E.jpeg
FCD3E861-C13A-488E-BFA7-B41BA13D19D6.jpeg
8381166C-13E5-4C51-B0D3-853C439C27EE.jpeg
43992956-DC8D-48C0-A2B0-6FA634555FBB.jpeg
C502D45D-7FD5-4B9E-953E-39A49EFDCC9E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom