Intro - ‘89 FJ62 Bone Stock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I just joined. I always wanted one since I had my first ‘84 Toyota pick up in high school. Class of ‘89 ironically. Finally found one. Looks and drives more like a station wagon now, but gonna try to get it trail ready ASAP.
Things I’ve learned so far from trolling around these forums until 2am:
  1. What to look for. Found one that had 2 owners and was used basically as a station wagon, hauling kids and groceries with very little, if any, rust.
  2. How to use a paper clip to read the “check engine” code. GENIUS!
  3. Which led to, how to change the Water Temp Sensor. Runs much smoother now.
  4. How to modify a solenoid from another Toyota model to fit the FJ and fix my 4WD switch.
  5. Where to take my 62 for a check up. Took her to Mario at Topline Performance in Huntington Beach CA. Nice guys with lots of nice rigs in the shop. They said I “found a gem”.
  6. Get a factory manual. Mine came with a Chilton’s stuffed with old receipts. Works for now.
  7. Get an OME kit (my stock springs might be more than flat and parallel to the ground) and probably get 31” tires instead of my original thought of 33’s.
  8. This site is pretty awesome. Thanks for all the info!

Welcome and a BIG congrats on buying a 62. :cheers:
But, we’re missing pictures…we need pictures!

076A8B97-37B1-435A-9C6D-E08B52D0186B.jpeg

This is the 62 with original wheels and flat suspension. I just installed OME heavies with 70 series 16” wheels (powder coated black) and Toyo Open Country AT3’s (238/85/16).
Also just added the Dobinson rear bumper with swing always. Took me one day to do the suspension (solo), but two days to do the damn bumper. Old original suspension came off surprisingly easy. This is a west coast rig with minimal rust. Instructions For the rear bumper from dobinsons are lacking and the old bumper was twisted and dented with stripped bolts. Also drilling out the rivets in the old brackets was time consuming. They have to be removed to use the holes to mount the new bumper.

Love the color and the new bumper. If I ever do this sort of rear tire carrier setup, the Dobinsons is prolly what I would go with. Looks great. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom