1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Problems (HELP)

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wsdavies, Jul 4, 2005.

1. wsdavies

wsdavies

I can't figure out what the heck is wrong with my setup. Here's the situation:

I have a Sony 2.4 ghz machine running XP Media center edition 2004. It is hooked up to cable internet, which is split as it comes into the house(One line to the TV the other to the modem) I then have a Linksys Wireless G router which runs to this system(CAT cable) and to the back room. For some reason internet on this machine is always dropping out, but the connection to my old computer in the back has no problems..It worked perfect for my brother too(He had an old imac hooked up to it) So I know the feed is good...SO it has to be something to do with this system(the Sony) Both Firefox and IE have the same issues...My modem shows full lights, but it still acts funny...Does anyone have any idea of maybe what's going on(Ty)? Cheers WS :eek:

2. rgsiii

rgsiii

3. BLKDOG40

BLKDOG40

I've had cordless phones cause problems with my wireless connection.

Im fix'n on updating the firmware on the wireless router one of these days- hasn't been done since I got it.

4. rollerbagel

rollerbagel

couple of thoughts...I'm assuming the following from your post:

The computer with issues is hooked to the router via cat 5 cable.
    You've done all the 'traditional' virus and spy ware scans
    you are running xp service pack 2

if all those are true then start by disabling (temp) the XP firewall
    and internet security bits...if it still drops, re-enable them, they
    are not the problem.

try replacing the cable, they get pinched and have signal drop issues.

if you have a USB or other wireless network card handy, try using
    it and see if the wireless stays connected. That would narrow it
    down to a network card problem...replace network card.

you MAY try going into device manager and reinstalling the drivers
    for the network card, but that's never done much for me.

other than those, not sure which direction to take...

my two cents, good luck :cheers:

5. miked

miked

can you ping the router?
    do you know if you are getting an IP address?
    if you don't know what i'm talking about, it's an easy step by step walkthrough. we can show you how to tell.

6. wsdavies

wsdavies

I just ran Adaware..24 critical objects..It seems a lot snappier now..How I hate fawking spyware..If I were a serial killer and had to choose to hunt any certian segment of the population it would be spyware programmers and the executives that pay them... :mad:

7. wsdavies

wsdavies

I tested the bandwidth and I think I'm doing alright in that category

[​IMG]

8. OZCAL

OZCAL

My Macs, Airport and HP printers screw up so infrequently that I am at a total loss when it happens. I can't even remember where the internet comes out of the wall, let alone what my settings etc. are. But all I do is find the tutorial or whatever, futz around for a few minutes and the components of the system "find" each other and start back up again. Happened maybe three times in a year. All that and my computers are all on different OS generations because I'm too lazy to sync them.

9. rollerbagel

rollerbagel

sorry, out doing the "love your country so much you go out
    and blow up a small portion of it" thing yesterday...good times.

so...problems solved or still dropping? One of the nasties I
    encountered recently which will actually take your connection
    down is CoolWebSearch. Did AdAware pick that up? If so,
    there's almost NO way to rid yourself other than reinstalling
    windows. It's a nasty horrid beast that traces your steps and
    let's a remote server know what you're doing...under the pretense
    of "advertising" or "targeted marketing". Ya, I'd like to target
    them...

anyway, let me know...glad to keep helping.

JRR

10. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:

11. swank60

swank60

I have found your problem and isolated it for you. :flipoff2:

12. mabrodis

mabrodis

Go to the computer that has issues at times and open a command prompt (start->run->cmd) then type:
    ipconfig /all

It'll show you your IP address, probably 192.168.0.something, look at the default gateway (probably 192.168.0.1) now type:

ping -t 192.168.0.1 (or whatever your gateway address was)

That will continously ping your router until you hit Control-C, however there is really no reason to stop it, you're not wearing anything out...I have issues with my ISP at times, so I run a continous ping to their router 24/7, mostly to know immediately when it's down so I don't hit send on an e-mail and then it dies and loses something.

Now, assuming that ping is working and you're not getting any failures (if you're getting failures here then it's cable or network card or router), wiggle the cable at the computer end and the router end.

If at times it still craps out (and even the pings fail) then change plugs on the router, so if that computer is in plug 2 and the other (working) computer is in plug 3, just swap them at the router, this will verify the router's ports are good, they can die, I've had 2 ports on one of my routers die, it was from a desktop system that went crazy and had power supply grounding issues (would trip a GFI plug immediately on powerup)...anyway, so test other router ports.

If the pings always go through but the internet part still dies at times, then try pinging another address, something out on the Internet, for example, do that same "ping -t" to 204.31.68.1 it's my lame-ass ISP's router, and the one I always ping, you can open multiple cmd windows so having both pings at the same time can be helpful, since if the internet one has issues, but your local one is fine, that means you are making it to your router just fine...but if the local one is dieing then ofcourse the internet one will be too.

If all the pings locally and internet work just fine, never miss a beat but your actual browsing dies (and at that exact time the pings are still going through) then I would suspect something with firewall/spyware, etc...it could always be a router also, since packets for services can be handled differently, but I have not had a router that showed signs of what you're describing, except for the port that was just plain blown, and so was the network card in the computer...

Good Luck...

13. swank60

swank60

Yeah, that's way easier/better than just buying a Mac in the first place. :flipoff2:

14. mabrodis

mabrodis

Better -and- cheaper.. :D

Mac's are great........for artfag rednecks...lol! :D

Edit: Actually those same basic tests would need to be done on a Mac to determine if the computer was at fault, or the network card, or the cable, or the router...still have to troubleshoot it either way...

:D

15. swank60

swank60

And here I've been picking up equipment and shaking the hell out of it until it works again... :D