Intermittent Wipers Not Working or Returning to Rest Position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wipers will work on low and high speeds, but will not work on intermittent, nor will they return to "rest" position. In fact, when you cut the wipers off, they stay exactly where they are when you cut them off--whether at half cycle, full cycle, etc.

After searching posts, my best guess is that my wiper relay is bad. However, I've seen most of that discussion regarding 60's, not 80's. Does anyone with an 80 have any experience with this? It's rather annoying and I'd like to fix it. I think i would like it to be the relay, as I suspect that'd be a fairly quick fix.

I'm in a 96 LX450 if that matters at all.

Bump... anyone?

:lol: Mine has been this way for too long. Really want to find the issue as well, but haven't. I think my issue lays in the combo switch.

CLOSURE!

I replaced the combo switch on the column a weekend or so ago and all is well now, except the rear wiper doesn't work. I'm sure it's the relay but haven't dove into that yet. The swap was pretty easy... maybe 30 minutes of work. I only pulled the wiper stalk and swapped the wires out of an into the harness rather than pull the steering wheel and do the wiper and light stalk together. It's nice to have the intermittent wiper functionality again.

Just a bit extra info....

In my Patrol in oz, when the intermittent timer module failed, I lost the "return to home position" operation. I ended up repairing the timer module (being an EE) and in doing so found that it is the intermittent timer module that provides the "return to home position" functionality.

So, if your intermittent doesn't work, neither will return to home.

Anyhow, glad you got yours fixed & working again.

cheers,
george.

Last edited:
Correct George. I neglected to mention that this fixed the "return to home" operation that I noted was broken in my original post.

Just as nice as having intermittent operation back is the ability to turn the wipers off at any position and have them park correctly, rather than trying to time my turning off the switch with the point that they are just about to complete a cycle.

Now, on to the rear wipre relay!

Mind me asking the cost for the combo switch? new, used, source?

$30, used, Mud classifieds parting out section...

My wipers will work on low and high speeds, but will not work on intermittent, nor will they return to "rest" position. In fact, when you cut the wipers off, they stay exactly where they are when you cut them off--whether at half cycle, full cycle, etc.

After searching posts, my best guess is that my wiper relay is bad. However, I've seen most of that discussion regarding 60's, not 80's. Does anyone with an 80 have any experience with this? It's rather annoying and I'd like to fix it. I think i would like it to be the relay, as I suspect that'd be a fairly quick fix.

I'm in a 96 LX450 if that matters at all.

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue, on the same truck! Mine just come on whenever they feel like, don't park, and make funny noises

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom