Intermittent starting issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(also posted this in 80 tech section)

I've had my 91 FJ80 for ~3months and I have occasional problems getting it started. As far as I can determine, I am thinking either a bad ground somewhere, or a bad ignition switch.

Symptoms are when I turn the key, nothing. All accessories come on, everything works as it should but the starter solenoid won't click. I can turn the ignition off and try again and sometimes it catches, sometimes it doesn't. I find juggling the ignition (slightly pulling the key in and out) sometimes works as well. I do not have factory or dealer cut keys and I do question the quality of my current keys ...

That said, it always eventually starts, but I worry about the day when it won't.

I am looking for ideas of where to start to further troubleshoot this, and/or solutions if others have had a similar issue.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks, I had thought of that and haven't pursued it. I should get a spare relay to have in any case. My question abbot that though is I get no crank, and it only seems to be happening on the first start of the day. After I get it started in the a.m. I can't think of having the issue again.

If the starter is good, some have had issues with the neutral safety switch circuit. When it fails, try shifting, starting it in neutral? If it has the neutral safety switch bypass, try pressing that and attempting to start.

Jeff, I had similar issues with both my 4Runner and FZJ-80. The 4Runner turned out to be a ground issue. The 80 was starter contacts.

Since you are in Tucson, you might take the starter to Luna Industries on Grant. Great folks and they will check out the starter and replace the contacts if needed. Or rebuild the starter, if needed. If they find nothing wrong with the starter, the generally don't charge you for the testing. Good luck, Terry

Not sure if this is relevant to the 3FE, but my old 86 4Runner with 22RE had this exact problem.
Replaced the starter with OEM and the problem didn't go away.
Then I read in Toyota Trails' tech section that the starter solenoid, with original electrical/wiring, often just isn't getting sufficient amperage to turn over your engine.
In a nut shell, they suggested the Hot Shot kit from Painless Wiring to boost available amperage to your starter.
I sold the truck before doing it so I really have no real world experience with this.
It just seemed like the perfect solution as I read the article.
Gave the magazine to the guy I sold the 4Runner to with full disclosure about the starter issue.
Maybe others with more experience can provide some thoughts.

I am pretty sure it is the starter plunger, seems to be fairly common. Just need to crawl up under there and get it done.

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom