Intermittent start issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this issue has been posted a few times. Wanted to see if anyone has dealt with it recently. I have a '90 that will randomly not start. I hear the starter click. I have been through 2 new starters. I've also replaced the ignition switch and it has a new battery. Sometimes I can tap the starter with a hammer to get it to start. Currently that isn't working. I have full power to accessories. Any suggestions ?

If you're replacing suspect starters with the same aftermarket manufacturer rebuild - the whole batch could be bad or not really work properly for your vehicle.
Use a Toyota remanufacured starter.
When a starter can be heard to click, but it doesn't turn over, that's usually a current limiting issue. Either poor contacts at the big wires or at the battery terminals - or an inadequate battery.
But the suspect is still the starter. Hitting a starter to make it turn over points to a malfunctioning starter

I replaced the starter with a new one that came with the truck when i bought it. When that didn't work, took it to a shop and they replaced it with a different manufacturer. As luck has it, i think i've discovered the issue right after posting this. I've been trying to get it to start for 30 minutes with no luck. Went out just now to look into the fusable link. Just kind of moved the harness around behind the battery terminals a little and it started right up after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom