Intermittent Idle Issues 1996 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Swbkrn2003

GOLD Star
Threads
I have seen a lot of threads on the forum and some are similar but i have not seen a solution.

I have an intermittent idle issue. Sometimes my 80 will idle fine (This happens hot or cold bu mostly after driving it for a while) It will idle perfectly at 650-700 and then after driving for a couple miles when I come to a stop it will idle around 1,000rpm or higher and if i put it in Neutral it will idle at either 1,400 or 1,200rpm. I turn off the A/C and then it will drop to 1,050 to 1,000-rpm. Now this is random sometimes it idels perfectly. I took it to my friends shop and used his Snapon Scanner and the IAC is working well and throttle responds to A/C on and off. Cleaned the Throttle Body and IAC. No apparent vacuum leaks.
It's driving me Bonkers. No Codes or CEL. I do not want to throw a ton a money if its something simple!? Thinking maybe PCV valve might be bad.

Open to any ideas and the great minds that exist on this forum and have years more experience than me!

Baffed in Paradise!

I had similar issue. throttle cable was tight while engine is cold, and at hot days getting too tight after driving. Readjusting cable fixed the problem. Pcv can be bad too.
What about % for IAC duty steps at idle? If here is extra air, ecu will close IAC

I had similar issue. throttle cable was tight while engine is cold, and at hot days getting too tight after driving. Readjusting cable fixed the problem. Pcv can be bad too.
What about % for IAC duty steps at idle? If here is extra air, ecu will close IAC
Thanks Vasiliy

I will check cable. I did not check the % of steps for IAC. I forgot to bring the FSM. I ordered a new PCV valve kit from wits end and intake from MAF to TB as it was old and brittle.

Thanks

Mine was doing this and it was the throttle cable. I argued with others and after I changed it, it was solved. It also fixed my random cruise control canceling issue I was having.

Change the cable with OEM only, as it has proven out by a few here that have purchased the aftermarket version and they were not the quality or fit needed.

Also check your PCV valve and grommet. If you have an OEM PCV, you can clean it with carburetor cleaner.

Check your oil fill cap rubber seal (or just buy a new cap) to reduce one more oil leak / vacuum leak.

Mine was doing this and it was the throttle cable. I argued with others and after I changed it, it was solved. It also fixed my random cruise control canceling issue I was having.

Change the cable with OEM only, as it has proven out by a few here that have purchased the aftermarket version and they were not the quality or fit needed.

Also check your PCV valve and grommet. If you have an OEM PCV, you can clean it with carburetor cleaner.

Check your oil fill cap rubber seal (or just buy a new cap) to reduce one more oil leak / vacuum leak.
Thank you! Love this forum and how everyone helps each other!

+3 on throttle cable. If its original its probably baked and sticky.

Also its confirmed to only go OEM if you choose to replace the throttle cable. The aftermarket ones are a fraction of the price but arent the right length and cause more headaches.

+3 on throttle cable. If its original its probably baked and sticky.

Also its confirmed to only go OEM if you choose to replace the throttle cable. The aftermarket ones are a fraction of the price but arent the right length and cause more headaches.
Thank you Ordered! Along with PCV and intake horn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom