1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent Hard Starts

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by TiredIronGRB, Aug 20, 2006.

1. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

This morning the cruiser started fine and I drove about 5 miles where it set for 2 hours, when I came out it didn't start until about the 4th try. This has happened a few times over the last 6 months or so but usually started the 2nd or 3rd try and after starting it runs great.

I have also noticed that it is running very rich (heavy soot in tail pipe), after searching it sounds like the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) but I wanted to hear from the experts here.

Thanks,
    GRB

2. Mikey

Mikey

I am not certain as far as with the 3Fe engine as I think you have, correct me if I'm wrong but the general rule for FPR's is if you pull off the vaccum line and there is any fuel present in the line the FPR has failed. There is generaly a fuel smell present with falty FPR's because they are leaking. It may also be a fuel pump problem. The best way to check this is with a gauge but this can usally be diagnosed by rulling out the FPR. If once started and shut off the veh is hard to start right away it may point to the fuel pump. If left for a while and given time for fuel pressure to drop it is hard to start it is more likely the FPR.

3. Jason Andrews

Jason Andrews

Have you ever replaced your O2 sensors? I suspect that is what is making mine run rich and have the same exhaust problem. However I do not have $200 to confirm this.

Disclaimer***I am not an expert!!!

4. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I'm a bit weak on the 3FE as I haven't owned one in 13 years since the switch to the FZ, but I recall there's an issue with a weak factory EFI fuse wire that those in the know swap out for a heavy gauge. And there's also an associated issue with the EFI fuse itself failing, which you may have an early symptom of here.

Rgds,

DougM

5. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

You might run this by the 62 owners as they have more experience than most here. But I have read here that the fuel regulator on the 62's is a high suspect item for your problem.

6. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Thanks for the replys guys.

7. CJF

CJF

What happens if you try to start it 5-10 minutes after having run it a good while? No-startey in that situation is the classic (3FE) FPR symptom.

Curtis

91FJ80

8. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    FPR...the EFI symptom is almost always associated with heat.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">