Intermittent fuel leak on 1990 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck is a 1990 V6 4X4 with standard cab and long bed.
It doesn't get as much use as it should and had been sitting for several weeks before I went and got inspection and tags, all no problem. I noticed the tank was almost empty but forgot to fill it up before I got home.
A week later I went to start it and nothing. Acted like it was out of fuel. I put a couple gallons in from a jerry can and it started right up. I got out of the truck and noticed a big puddle under the fuel tank. At first I thought maybe it spilled when filling from the jerry can but I started it up again to be sure and it started leaking badly when running, like under pressure. I shut it off and decided to deal with it next day.
Next day I removed the bash plate from the tank so I could see better where it leaks from but could not get it to leak again. Started it and shut it down several times. Filled a bit more from the jerry can in case it was that. Also shut it off and jumpered the fuel pump on. Nothing I can do can make it leak again.
I'm half inclined to think it fixed itself but obviously there is some problem that will resurface at a less opportune time.
I am suspecting the fuel pump hanger, bracket thing, or the small rubber hose that runs from it to the metal fuel line?
Just wondering if anyone has any similar experience or advice?

Thanks, John

Before you spend the time pulling your tank and trying to fix it look at https://longrangeamerica.com/ and see if any of the tanks they have will work for you.

I know most people assume they make auxiliary tanks but they do make replacement tanks too and might be larger capacity as well. Probably more then you wanna spend but in the long run, you'll have a piece of mind that your tank is GTG.

Its not too hard to tilt up your bed and eyeball the top of the tank. Leaky return line maybe?
FWIW, my 88 developed an infrequent leak at a pinch weld, but that was with 1/2 tank or better on hot days.
Good luck and please post of you identify the source of the leak

I had an intermittent issue with the fuel tank on my K2500. Finally pulled the tank and replaced it. Best we could figure out was there was a (several?) pinhole leak. The tank was rusty in places, but nothing obvious. The tank was fine until you'd get a warm day, which would pressurize the tank, and then it would leak - but we filled it full of water and it sat in the shop for several days without any issues.

Could be the gasket on the top of the tank where the fuel pump is installed. The little bolts are hard to access unless you tip the bed up. Inexpensive to replace the gasket, but I had to spend some time re-tapping the boltholes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom