Intermittent clutch slip, anyone experience it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A little background; I’ve had my 83 FJ60 for about 2 months. It has 123,000mi, and what I’m assuming is an original clutch. Yesterday, I took it on a 230mi round trip cruise from Tucson to the phoenix area, and it did absolutely great. This morning I hopped in it to go to the grocery store, and the clutch was slipping a bit in 2nd and 3rd. After driving approx 1 mile, it stopped. I got back home, pulled the inspection cover and took a look. Everything seems good, I was thinking maybe there was oil or something getting on the disc from the rear main seal (It leaks a bit), but it looks fairly dry. So I check the fluid level in the clutch master. It’s low, but not alarmingly low. It’s also leaking down the inside of the firewall.
I cleaned and put the inspection cover back on, took it down to the power washer place where it ran fine and power washed underneath it. Upon leaving, it slipped a bit again then was fine. I’ve ordered a new Aisin master, but do you think this could be the culprit? It otherwise drives totally fine with no slipping when warm. Attached is a pic of the view with the inspection cover off. I know these clutches can go quite a bit longer than 123k, so I’m curious about your opinions.

BB52F4D7-DAD5-4770-B8E6-6384C125DF03.jpeg

It should not be leaking into the cabin. If it is then your master is toast. If you replace it replace the slave too. If not it will be next.

It should not be leaking into the cabin. If it is then your master is toast. If you replace it replace the slave too. If not it will be next.
Well that’s a given, it’s all ordered. But I’m not sure if it would give me the symptoms I have. Obviously it’s leaking and needs to be fixed, so I guess I’ll see if it takes care of it in a few days when it arrives. The clutch has always grabbed high, near the top of the pedal travel, so I also did the pedal and rod adjustment using the FSM today. It shifts totally fine, no issues at all.

Sort the master and slave out first before writing the clutch off. If the master is holding residual pressure, it could be letting the clutch slip.

Sort the master and slave out first before writing the clutch off. If the master is holding residual pressure, it could be letting the clutch slip.
Definitely. I’ll always tackle the easy stuff before I use a Saturday doing a clutch on it. Part of me is like “I kind of hope it needs a clutch so I can do the throw out and pilot bearings too.”

Your clutch disc is worn out.
You should be able to see the wear indicator grooves in the disc when viewing it from below. Your picture shows none.
The disc rivets are either grinding on your flywheel now or 0.5mm from doing so.

Don't drive the car any more. You might permanently damage the flywheel.

Time for a clutch job
(And be easier on the new one when you drive. It shouldn't wear out in only 123k miles. You should get double that).

image.png

New disc showing distance to rivets

image.jpeg

I am easy on it. I’ve owned it two months. But I’ll be sure to forward it to the guy who owned it for the 36 years before me. It still has 2mm of material on the disc, btw.

Edit: I’ll do a clutch. Im sure it needs a pilot and TO bearing anyways.

Last edited:
I’ve had pressure plates fail before in other cars. Leading to slipping clutch or eventual clutch failure.

On a side note, make sure your slave cylinder isnt putting pressure on your fork by being adjusted too far out. Had this issue happen when I first got my cruiser and had the clutch slipping on starts and hills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom