Intermitent Spongy Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving my 93 home last night I hit the brakes and the pedal was nearly on the floor. This was nearly a 4 hour ride on the Interstate. Pretty scary stuff. This morning they felt fairly normal. The fluid level is normal in the master cylinder. Any ideas on what might be my issue? Some posts seem to point at the ABS pump, but due to the intermitent nature I am sort of stumped.

How old is the fluid? One possibility is contaminated (moisture) fluid, if this is the case, heat can cause a soft pedal.

I agree with Tools - probably fluid fade. I had a similar problem. I bought some speed bleeders and replaced all the brake fluid. Been working fine ever since.

I had the same problem with my brakes after several stops at the auto shop. Finally went to a Toyota specific shop and as I recall, there is some electrical solenoid that needs to be activated when bleeding the brakes. Nothing special, but as I recall, you need the ignition turned on when the brakes are bled - but I am not a mechanic. It was frustrating to no end until it was fixed....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom