Interior wood trim damage...cause? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DLJ

Threads
Ok gang what causes this:

panel1.jpg

source
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2425675560&category=6443

..seller claims water...I find that hard to believe.
Ours has a little of this damage but not as bad as this one!!! Ive seen replacement trim kits available...and like the rose better than the burl....you know the ole lady got to look good when she cruisin the mall!!!
will a heat gun on low or hair dryer help get this trim off w/o damaging the leather???

the roof above the wood begs "water damage" to the vehicle, though to me the leather on the door-panels would be shot, too, if water was near the armrests --

e

I saw that too but why would the trim not be impervious to some water....wait maybe this explains the dreaded lack of cupholders mystery ::) What the f is gonna happen when a real solvent like coke- a -whatever or some charbucks gets on the trim when the wife hits a speed bump in the mall parking lot ..or for that matter when she gets the urge to really let her hair down and climb a curb or two????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

DLJ,
That is delamination of the cheap crappy plastic trim ($795 option!!!) we get in lieu of the nice real wood trim the VX models have in the UK.

Delamination is a common problem. Likely causes are heat, sunlight, and age. Mine had several pieces that looked just like that including the piece around the clock and a couple of dash pieces so I doubt it ever got water. The DS door piece on mine is OK and I know it has had a little rainwater over the years.

You can feed C-Dan's dogs for weeks and weeks by buying new trim pieces one at a time. You can buy similar kits off of eBay. I've heard the quality is poor on some of the eBay kits. Your best option is to remove the offending pieces with a hair drier and careful prying using a small putty knife with the blade covered with masking tape. The black plastic underneath looks good so I have not replaced any on mine.

Junk removed the wood trim in his beater with a chisle blade on an air hammer. Works fast. :D

=== Later ===
Just looked at the pics... that is one rough truck.

alternator/water pump pulleys have room for an extra belt for insurance on those long
journeys into the wild,

This means it is probably missing a belt. There are *supposed* to be two belts!

-B-

People must not take care of their cars or pay attention when driving. I've got a '93 with 184k miles and it is still in excellent condition. Has aftermarket floormats and the paint is chipped in places but otherwise fine. I was wondering how many people have the Toyoguard option on their truck.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=4057;start=0#msg29920 date=1059767308]
DLJ,
Junk removed the wood trim in his beater with a chisle blade on an air hammer. Works fast. :D
-B-
[/quote]
:D
That delamination means that your cruiser has been infected by mallitis. This dreadfull disease is similiar to what has infected many 80s such as Tyler's, Wench's, Cdan's and BMT's. :flipoff2: :D Best cure is a few days immediately spent on trail denting and/or removing sheet metal and breaking expensive bits. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom