Interior Rust and WTF is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DLJ

Threads
Gang, Freaked out by the pics of the f-ed up 97 ALE for sale on ebay(see the interior trim damage post below) I started to get concerned about ours and if the PO had leak issues............Sure enough I pull up the Anniv. matts and the ds carpet is soaked. :'( :'(..I look up at the fire wall and see the rust pictured below...assume from condensation & evarporation from long saturated floor.. :-\.also after pulling up the carpet I find this wayward piece of gasket embedded in the floor under the accel. pedal ???
Logged on and researched the leak posts. Removed my sunroof visor. Decided to use a long piece of weedeater test mono. .10"dia. to rund down the drains. No clogs detected, poured a couple of cups and they drained fine...both sides...Not sure where the water is coming from but check these pics out and let me know where this gasket is supposed to go or if it is just a scrap........ :-\
Thanks

fb7e17bb.jpg

fb7e17b1.jpg

fb7e17b5.jpg

DLJ:

Not sure about the gasket (engine compartment?). If you have this kind of rust, be sure to pull the DS dead pedal and kick panel and have a look around. I had water in this region which shorted a wiring harness connection and started a fire (see my old posts on this sunroof / fire).

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh...yeah I pulled those to get the carpet up...and I had read your thread so that was the first place I looked. Surprisingly everything looks rust free over there. I even inspected the inards of whatever that spare harness is....seems fine.
Thinking about using Kroil to check up the rust or maybe a light grease.
More heavy rain last night......I'll check the channel when I get home from work.

Under the accel pedal? Hillbilly govenor. :D Bet you gain all kinds of acceleration.
Looks like a seal of some kind. Maybe a w/s gasket that was leaking and has been replaced? That might be a chunk that was trimmed off?
Just guessing. If someone got my truck they would be all kinds of confused trying to figure out what all those little parts went to. Most of them went to other vehicles. That's always a possibility.

Update...no leaks since removing the sunroof visor...anybody tried to mod some weep holes in the seal of the visor at the corners? where is Cdan he might know where that gasket is supposed to go...................

How about a real image to help that visual?

C-Dan%20makin'%20a%20pit%20stop.jpeg

:D

-B-

B:

Man, I hope you saved some $ for your kid - he may now need professional help :D (ps make sure you save it for his wedding reception!!). I hope you guys didn't melt in the 105F (?) temp, almost as hot as London!

Cheers, Hugh

Dan,

Nice truck.

Beo,

You my friend are a sick man.

Hey, that 80 above the kid on the crapper, is that an OME lift? What is that roof rack? Is that bolted on the stocker? I need something like that but haven't had much luck finding one that bolts on to the stock setup.

PS. I sure like the idea of bringing that pic up to the future wife/girlfriends...I have some pics of my daughters that I threaten them with all the time. The 10 year old in a diaper (messing around with my 2 year old) is great ammo :D

The Green Machine rides on an old set of Downey 2 1/2 inch springs. The roof rack is a modified Garvin that was originally intended to fit to a factory roof rack. I turned it sideways and mounted it to a set of Garvin gutter clamps and rails.
The stock rack is only good for "100 lbs, evenly distributed". The Garvin weighs about 40 lbs so there was enough capacity left over to put a loaf of bread up there. After I took that rust-breeding POS off and tossed it in the dumpster, I modified the Garvin for use with gutter mount rails. :D

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4092;start=0#msg31697 date=1060702479]
The Green Machine rides on an old set of Downey 2 1/2 inch springs. The roof rack is a modified Garvin that was originally intended to fit to a factory roof rack. I turned it sideways and mounted it to a set of Garvin gutter clamps and rails.
The stock rack is only good for "100 lbs, evenly distributed". The Garvin weighs about 40 lbs so there was enough capicity left over to put a loaf of bread up there. After I took that rust-breeding POS off and tossed it in the dumpster, I modified the Garvin for use with gutter mount rails. :D
[/quote]

What did you do about the holes left over from the POS rust maker?

I got some stainless steel rosette washers and some 5mm stainless countersunk phillips head screws. I set o-rings under the rosette washers and used silicone sealer on the screw threads. After the roof was re-painted, I put the screws and washers in. The body shop buffed the roof, screws and all, and they look like little chrome buttons up there. The alternative was dropping the headliner and getting all the holes welded up $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :eek: . It is hardly noticable as is.

Dan, you got any pics of that roof of yours? I haven't really looked at my rack, but I have read on here about the threat of rust. What size screws did you use in those holes?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4092;start=0#msg31716 date=1060708949]
5mm stainless countersunk phillips head screws.
[/quote]

::) About 15mm long 8)

I will climb up there and take a couple pics........... ;)

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4092;start=0#msg31736 date=1060714403]

::) About 15mm long 8)

I will climb up there and take a couple pics........... ;)
[/quote]

Length is what I was looking for...size matters sometimes :D

fj,

The inserts go into the roof about 7mm or so. You could probably go up to an inch or so as long as they don't hit the headliner. The rub strip fronts need to clear the sun roof when you open it. ;) I would resist getting long and cutting them as they may mess up the inserts when you try to spin them in. The reason for the rosette washers is the insert has a 1mm thick head that the rosettes cover up quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom