Interior rattles... Dealer quoted me $15k. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new to me '16 GX460 that I bought out of state a few weeks ago. I had it inspected by a local shop and they gave it a clean bill of health. 55k miles, 3 owners (Lease, then CPO purchase, then private sale). Clean carfax, good maintenance records.

When I picked it up it came with a second set of tires as it was on snow tires. Cool.

I drive it home without issue. When I removed the tires, I noticed a rattle coming from the middle row passenger seat and it would not fold down. I did some research and fixed the folding issue by popping the cable back into place (common problem it seems), but the rattle persisted. I spent an hour or so trying to isolate it but never did. The driver seat also rocks back and forth a bit, and the TPMS light just came on (I just replaced all 4 of them 2 weeks ago, so I figure its the spare).

The local dealer quoted $15k to replace all of the seats except the driver seat, but they need a new lower assembly for it ($2k). They also wanted $1k to replace all of the TPMS sensors that are 2 weeks old.

I'm in absolute shock. But, I'm certainly not going to pay that.

I plan to delete the third row anyway so I'll start there. Then I'll start removing seats until it goes away, then when it is isolated I suppose tear it down and try to figure out what is going on.

Any ideas? Having owned this thing for a few weeks I'm feeling pretty terrible about it.

I’m noticing a few creaks and rattles from my interior as well, but it is lifted on e rated tires. I found a way to quiet them for free. Turn up the stereo.
As for the seat rocking, it’s a common issue with the fj cruiser and 4Runner as well. Usually it’s one of the two rear bolts that go through the floor that’s loose. If it’s that it’s a 5 minute fix with a wrench. Less if you leave cracking open a cold one out of the equation.

I have a new to me '16 GX460 that I bought out of state a few weeks ago. I had it inspected by a local shop and they gave it a clean bill of health. 55k miles, 3 owners (Lease, then CPO purchase, then private sale). Clean carfax, good maintenance records.

When I picked it up it came with a second set of tires as it was on snow tires. Cool.

I drive it home without issue. When I removed the tires, I noticed a rattle coming from the middle row passenger seat and it would not fold down. I did some research and fixed the folding issue by popping the cable back into place (common problem it seems), but the rattle persisted. I spent an hour or so trying to isolate it but never did. The driver seat also rocks back and forth a bit, and the TPMS light just came on (I just replaced all 4 of them 2 weeks ago, so I figure its the spare).

The local dealer quoted $15k to replace all of the seats except the driver seat, but they need a new lower assembly for it ($2k). They also wanted $1k to replace all of the TPMS sensors that are 2 weeks old.

I plan to delete the third row anyway so I'll start there. Then I'll start removing seats until it goes away, then when it is isolated I suppose tear it down and try to figure out what is going on.

Any ideas? Having owned this thing for a few weeks I'm feeling pretty terrible about it.
Take it to another Lexus dealer, that's nonsense. I can't imagine what you'd have to do in 55K miles to a GX460 to destroy all the seats and TPMS, it's impossible. Dealer for rattles, Discount tire for TPMS.

My seats rattle too after having it off raid a few times, I briefly looked at all the mechanism in the power fold 3rd row and decided - yup, all that is going to make some noise.

Put your tool kit in a gym bag and put it in the seat that rattles. Seat belting it in is advised if you drive like I do. 😅

Have you tried using a type of stethoscope to try and get a closer proximity of where the rattle is?

Yeah, I just bought a 2019 and have a rattle on the passenger side somewhere. It’s either coming from the glovebox or from behind the door panel. That’s the thing with having a quiet interior you here everything. I guess I’ll have someone drive while I sit in the passenger seat with a stethoscope. LOL

Yeah, I just bought a 2019 and have a rattle on the passenger side somewhere. It’s either coming from the glovebox or from behind the door panel. That’s the thing with having a quiet interior you hear everything. I guess I’ll have someone drive while I sit in the passenger seat with a stethoscope. LOL
Fixed. Seems silly not to let noobs edit.
WOW - That's sweet! Let's penalize those of us who have the least experience on this forum (with its antiquated tools) and are therefore more likely to make the most mistakes. BRILLIANT!!!!
I agree with this sentiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom