Interior Plastic Trim Color Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TStro

SILVER Star
Threads
I may be trying to do the impossible, or extremely stupid, but has anyone tried to change the color of the interior plastic trim using the SEM products? The 62 I purchased has the brown plastic trim, but I would really like to have the grey trim. There are just too many NLA parts to have to source to make the swap. I would say the interior is above average condition and I seem to have everything. I also plan on recovering the seats since the driver side front seat has a pretty bad tear in it. I know I can source those and new carpet fairly easily, its just all of the plastic parts. Any advice is welcome. TIA
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

That's a ton of plastic parts to make look 'good' or 'great'. I have used the SEM vinyl dye, but only in limited cases. I fear that larger areas (rear cargo panels) would blotchy or obviously dyed. I would vote against it. Your exterior paint colors are also warm tones that might not sit so well with a gray interior. Also, products like the SEM dyes will not last forever, and on flexible parts, will one day peel or fail due to UV/sun.

Why not just buy a second FJ62 with the interior color of your choice? ;)

Steve

What is that box like thing on the rear panels right beside the seat back? I’m not
familiar with 62 so maybe it’s common? It’s right below the latch in front of the
speakers
Swapping that entire interior over to grey? Basically buy a parts truck with grey interior.

What is that box like thing on the rear panels right beside the seat back? I’m not
familiar with 62 so maybe it’s common? It’s right below the latch in front of the
speakers
Swapping that entire interior over to grey? Basically buy a parts truck with grey interior.
I don’t know either. I pick it up next week and let you know.

Too bad you aren’t closer to where I live. I’d offer on carpet and side panels.
That’s a good interior. Maybe fix the seat cushion, buy some seat covers and
get used to brown? Original is very valuable. Start changing it and it makes a difference

speakers
Seat belt cover associated with the 3pt system.

If you end up swapping out seats or interior pieces, I'd be interested in purchasing yours. My driver's seat has similar tears to yours and your rear seats are in better condition than mine. I'm close by in Austin, and I'm always interested in a trip to Houston to see friends.

Don't.

The gray interior will not jive with your exterior colors, embrace the brown or find another rig.

Most of that interior (and the whole truck) looks to be in very good shape, I wouldn't risk ruining all that OEM stuff if the plastic paint doesn't work well. That 62 is too clean to change up.

Any high wear areas like the scuff plates at the bottom of the door sills won't last long at all.

I have done a full truck in SEM, it is good stuff but not the do-all, last forever solution.

I agree with others, brown goes good with the exterior paint. It's your Cruiser though so do as you like, I suggest finding good used grey panels for most of the conversion.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom