Interior mirror wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! Just picked up a ‘00 LC and am brand new to the platform. Already picking up some great info here. I’ve chosen a very underwhelming question for my maiden post, but alas, here’s what I need.

The truck came without an interior rear view mirror. I’m trying to pick up a used OEM model to replace it but I‘ve run into a question about wiring. The mirrors I’ve found have a small orange plug with what looks like 4 wires. In my LC there is a wiring harness sticking out from under the headliner with a larger 7-wire plug but only 2 wires. Is this normal? I’m assuming the wires are 12v and ground. What mirror am I supposed to have? Could I make one of the 4-wire mirrors work?

Thanks!

87460243-319F-4105-A800-1D8FF4A91FB0.jpeg

CEBEFA86-98EF-41A0-84A2-DC9FE874B5DA.jpeg

Welcome! There’s a good search feature at the top of the page that typically pops up answers for most (but not all) technical questions that folks have. For example, I just searched “rear view mirror wiring” and found this thread: LX470 Rear View Mirror (auto dim + compass) upgrade - wiring diagram needed
Looks like the orange 4-wire plug is probably for mirrors that have the dimming feature. If yours does not have this feature, then you won’t have the same plug (and also fewer wires). Also, I think the dimming feature wasn’t implemented until 2001, so your 2000 may not have it. But I’m not an electrical guru so hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Below is a new non-dimming OEM Toyota mirror for 98-00 model years:
2DBC693D-107A-4EA3-A33B-B8213608E6FA.png

Last edited:
Thanks, appreciate the info!

So the thread above provided the orange 4-wire pin out:
1 = IG (red) -> switched power +
2 = EC+ -> dimmer signal out to outer mirrors
3 = EC- -> dimmer signal out to outer mirrors
4 = Ground

Can anyone share what the two wires on mine are meant to power? Auto-dim only? Compass only?

As for the mirror you included, that looks entirely unpowered. I’m trying to figure out what was originally in mine and replace with that. (And FWIW, I looked the part up with Toyota and they only gave me the unpowered model too.)

That may be to an aftermarket mirror that had the embedded backup cam image. Some of those have separate video and power plugs. If you chase that wire down the pillar towards the fuse panel, you may find tapped wires; hence non-OEM

That may be to an aftermarket mirror that had the embedded backup cam image. Some of those have separate video and power plugs. If you chase that wire down the pillar towards the fuse panel, you may find tapped wires; hence non-OEM

Good thought. I'll have to look into how to remove the headliner and see what I can find. Thanks!

That plug is for the accessory mirror that has the directional heading and the auto dim feature in it.
I have that mirror in my LC (also 2000 YM). Mirror is a Gentex unit...

I am seeking a general replacement and I think I have found it in post number #2,

My mirror mounts to the metal piece that is glued to the windshield.

I honestly just want one with a manual dim feature. My window tint is dark enough any auto-dim feature doesn't work anyway.

75C5FDD9-AD04-4DC9-AAA2-E438DEE221B6.jpeg

A89600C6-5E61-4055-96B2-A1461702D966.jpeg

Greenbean, my man! Thank you!

Is your mirror functional and you’re just wanting to swap it out? I’d be interested in buying off you if so.

Greenbean, my man! Thank you!

Is your mirror functional and you’re just wanting to swap it out? I’d be interested in buying off you if so.

Yes and no, lol...

The problem is it’s a Gentex unit and despite the sensor that was failing to detect the headlights in your rear view mirror. My wire has mentioned she liked the compass heading in the corner. Go figure.

When I removed it the plastic bits (from Gentex) were very brittle.

My LC has LOTS of miles/translated (sun baked plastic.)

I even researched Gentex and reached out to them and they couldn’t help. So off to eBay and it’s the same mirror that was installed in old Cadillacs and some Chevy stuff.

You have to buy another used mirror to get the trim pieces.

Besides the pigtail I showed ya this is what is on the back of the mirror.

Let me dig through 1,000+ pics in my phone and I have one of the Gentex model number on my mirror.

Gentex model is GNTX-177

8B226738-6D1B-46CE-B2DD-11A461206B6E.jpeg

F444B64C-EDE4-4E51-B128-EFAD0FA80E59.png

DB7BB666-1529-4ADB-A30C-99501A4A26AB.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom