Interior lights ground (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've looked for this but haven't found a definite answer. Both my front and rear dome lights are not working, as well as the light in the glove box. All of the bulbs are good, so I was wondering if they share a common ground?:confused:

They share a common fuse, I'd start there.

Should've mentioned that the fuse is good. I just took the rear light apart and found a bad solder, but I am getting 12v there. Will fix that and see. However, I am not getting 12v to the main dome light. Also, the cig. lighter is not working either.:confused:

If the fuse is OK, then it's going to get more complicated. Best to have a wiring diagram. Basic idea is to start at the "load" (aka the bulb in this case) and work backwords. Using a test light or better yet a simple multimeter. Start from a bulb that's dead. Follow the wiring diagram backwords, testinga as you go. Eventually you find the point where there's a problem.

If the car is new to you, I'd take a look around first. A PO might a fawked up something. Look carefully. Under the dash especially.

By the way, a fuse can look OK, and yet have blown. Ask me how I know...

Having the official factory wiring diagram makes all of the above much less frustrating. It'll still be frustrating though...

Both of the overhead lights should have +12V at the light socket. The door switches supply the ground that lights up the bulb. If you flip the switch to "on" rather than "door", the ground is made right at the light fixture. For the rear light, one of the mounting screws is the ground path so the light won't work if its hanging by the wires. The door switch for the rear light is in the actual lock assembly in the rear hatch unlike the door plunger switches for the front light.

One other odd note is that the pass side rear door switch hasn't worked on ANY of the 3 60s I've owned. I think the issue is in the switch wire as goes through the rear quarter panel and across the back of the body.

kappalpha said:
I've looked for this but haven't found a definite answer. Both my front and rear dome lights are not working, as well as the light in the glove box. All of the bulbs are good, so I was wondering if they share a common ground?:confused:
my interior light on the 60 would not come on when the driverside door opened, did when the passenger side so I shot some wd40 on to the switch to clean the contacts took a little screwing around but now it works,
good luck

Tracked down a wire that was almost broken. Spliced it and everything is fine. Still no cigarette lighter, but I can live with that. Thanks for the pointers.:cheers:

Cool! Where was it?

Next to the driver side door. Must've barely been connected, but broke when I pulled it out. If it was broken the whole time, not sure I'd have gotten 12v to rear dome. Anyway, thanks again for all the help. At least that's one problem solved.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom