Interior lighting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, looking for some advice on an interior lighting issue. My 2004 has been running great, but we noticed that the overhead lights do not turn on when a door is opened (this has been an issue since I bought the truck in January).

• I've checked the fuse in the passenger's footwell and it was not blown
  • All of the over head lights work properly if you manually turn them on (like the map lights over the driver and passenger area), and the light over the third row, but when the light is set to the "door" position it does not turn on when the door is opened.
  • There are small LED's under the dash, that *do* turn on when the doors are open
  • Also the light below the arm rest on each door *does* turn on the door is opened
  • I suspect that my issue may be with the aftermarket DVD player mounted on the ceiling between the first and second rows, I assume it was a place where the stock dome light resided. It also has a "off-door-on" switch, it will turn on when in the "on" position, but does not turn on when a door is opened and switch in the "door" position.
I'm hesitant to let my mechanic just trouble shoot it, as I can foresee an electrical issue like this quickly costing a lot. Any thoughts on what I should do?

IMG_4166.JPG
IMG_4167.JPG

Pull out the DVD player and get your meter in there and snoop around. I replaced the aftermarket DVD in mine with the factory domelight. The DVD provided crummy light and I never ever used it. While at it, I did replace some bulbs with LED, big difference in amount of light available.

Pull out the DVD player and get your meter in there and snoop around. I replaced the aftermarket DVD in mine with the factory domelight. The DVD provided crummy light and I never ever used it. While at it, I did replace some bulbs with LED, big difference in amount of light available.

Many thanks for the advice, that's what I was leaning toward. Do you have any pictures or write up from your DVD player removal? I'll admit, my biggest concern is that there might be a giant hole in the headliner where it is mounted :oops:

I don't have the DVD player but my DOOR setting on the switch needs to be just right to get it to work, slightly off centered. Maybe try finicking around with it a bit before going to nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom