Interior Heater Ducts FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lillianrosechoppers.com
The black rubber elbows on the interior heater ducting has corroded. Was wondering what you guys use as replacements?

Man A Fre has the whole duct assembly but it is rediculously expensive at over $200.

Any suggestions?

I didn't see how to post anything. maybe because I'm new here and don't have enough juice yet!

One of the defroster hoses was missing when I got my rig. Rather than shell out dough to $OR or somebody, I went to Lowes and picked up a black PVC 90 elbow, a roll of Shop Vac hose, and a rubber coupler for the defrost plenum attachment. I made a defrost hose using these materials and it not only works great, but it was much cheaper and looks almost identical to factory (it will probably last longer too).

Last edited:
One of the defroster hoses was missing when I got my rig. Rather than shell out dough to $OR or somebody, I went to Lowes and picked up a black PVC 90 elbow, a roll of Shop Vac hose, and a rubber coupler for the defrost plenum attachment. I made a defrost hose using these materials and it not only works great, but it was much cheaper and looks almost identical to factory (it will probably last longer too).

Love to see pictures of the setup.

Here you go. The flashlight gives everything a bluish tone...in sunlight it is solid black.

The 90 is a press fit on the heater box and the hose is also pressed into the 90. The rubber coupler (behind the dash and on the plenum - not in the pic) is attached with hose clamps to the plenum and hose. I have been using this for a year now and nothing has come loose. Trick is to find the right diameter 90 and hose so that everything wedges together (the metal outlet on the heater box will 'dig' into the PVC for a tight fit).

I still have the factory hose on the passenger side. There is no difference in airflow between the factory hose and my home built unit.
photo.jpg

Last edited:
That is EXCELLENT! Your right it not only looks OEM, but there is no way it will fail. That is the inginuity I was looking for. Thank you for sharing the info. I am going to do the same thing! :clap::)

Well I got it taken care of! Bought the 90 degree PVC elbows at Home depot. If you want to spend about $40 to $60 you can use 2.5" 90 degree silicone elbows from auto parts store!

$3.95 did it for me! I only had to use a barrel sander to take off about 1/16" off the inner diameter for a perfect fit. I put some black silicone on the fitting to prevent air escape. Now my heater puts out!

Thanks WEAGLE99!!! Great cheap fix that works!

HeaterTires002.jpg

HeaterTires001.jpg

Here you go. The flashlight gives everything a bluish tone...in sunlight it is solid black.

The 90 is a press fit on the heater box and the hose is also pressed into the 90. The rubber coupler (behind the dash and on the plenum - not in the pic) is attached with hose clamps to the plenum and hose. I have been using this for a year now and nothing has come loose. Trick is to find the right diameter 90 and hose so that everything wedges together (the metal outlet on the heater box will 'dig' into the PVC for a tight fit).

I still have the factory hose on the passenger side. There is no difference in airflow between the factory hose and my home built unit.

good thinking man :)

I might make some for my old ass heater :D

Thanks for the tip!

Great! Thanks!!
ty :beer:

Nice - Thanks for that!

any photos or direction what you guys hear to attach the hose to the defrost vent up under the dash?

Man after my own heart.

so here’s my go at this. mine is a early 1972. i needed 2 inch elbows and hose.
IMG_7289.jpeg

IMG_7290.jpeg
IMG_7291.jpeg

now i have to make a connector from the baffle to the heater. i think i’ll use some neoprene off an old wet suit. i just can’t spent $40 on a rubber hose that i have to pay another $40 for shipping
IMG_7292.jpeg

Last edited:
i went to our local hose supply shop and this was just a 2 inch rubber corrugated hose. not specific purpose it’s nicer than plastic that comes with the shop vac hoses so it should last for as long as i need it to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom