Interior Cooling Questions, Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '75 FJ40 has a 2F with 6--->1 headers. After driving for more than 10 minutes, the driver's side apron is hot to the touch, while the passenger's side is only warm. Needless to say, the firewall and floorboards do an effective job of heating up the interior.

Could the exhaust pipe from, say, a 2F FJ60 be modified to work with the stock FJ40 exhaust manifold?

Would it make that much difference? (since the exhaust pipe is double-walled, I think)

Has anyone had any success heat-shielding the exhaust on an FJ40? Ideas?

Shawn, have you checked the underside to make sure its not touching the metal anywhere. It should be spaced a couple of inches away. I have the 2f with headers and do not any issues with the metal getting hot. You might check for proper spacing before you do anything drastic.

Ken

Could very well be. It's really close (~1/2") at the base of the firewall/floorboard junction and for a ways back from there, but no contact.

Thats probably the problem. I just went out and measured mine and no where does it come within 6 inches of the floor board.

From the header output it runs straight down from the engine and angles just below being flush with the bottom of the oil pan and runs between the Tranny and the skid plate.

You could take it to a muffler shop and have them re-route the piping fairly cheaply.

Hope this helps!

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom