Interference b/t tie rod and relay rod ends -Joint Fuji (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm re-assembling a FJ62 axle under the front of my 55, and I've run into a problem with interference between the relay rod end and tie rod end. The two fit noticeably tighter together than the old ones removed, and the relay rod now doesn't have the freedom of movement to mate up with the pitman arm.. this is using Joint Fuji ends that have been sitting on my shelf for probably 10 or more years...
IMG_20210419_143424.jpg

IMG_20210419_143432.jpg

Sticking the new relay rod end into the old tie rod end works, but old relay end into the new tie rod end doesn't... measuring the tapered hole in the two tie rod ends, it appears that the taper is correct, but the "boss" on the new end is too thick. (minimum diameters match, max diameter is slightly larger in new end along with thicker boss).
IMG_20210419_144617.jpg

IMG_20210419_145202.jpg

Am I missing something here? Any bright ideas before I go at the new end with a sanding disk to make the clearance needed?

Last edited:
not sure where the relay rod goes up to the center arm.
on my 62 the relay rod is angled toward the front aprox 2" where it goes to the power steering arm.
looking in from the driver side there is aprox 2" difference between the tie rod and relay rod
the relay rod and tie rod are not parrallel they are angled away from each other.

The two ends contact each other towards the passenger's "end" of the relay rod end. In addition it seems the boot is compressed too much between the two ends. If you look at the first two pics, you can see how much tighter it is between the new fittings vs. the old fittings. It appears that the body of the new TRE is thicker (and the tapered hole is deeper) pulling the relay rod end in too close. If you look at the last pic, the calipers are set to the width of the boss on new end, you can see the old end is noticeably thinner.

As a result, the relay rod can't angle forward (towards the driver's side) enough to mate with the pitman arm. I likely have the steering box slightly further forward than a stock FJ62 relationship, as I positioned it up to allow for shifting the axle forward about an inch in the future. This geometry worked fine with the old ends... range of motion with the new ends is VERY limited.

Here's a bit different angle of the new ends.
IMG_20210419_143418.jpg

I don't think I have a question as much as wondering if anybody else has run into this... at first I wondered if I had a mixed up set of 60 and 80 ends... but I believe 80 ends and geometry are completely different... are there ends from 70 or 40 series that are similar other than taper of the ball stud and hole?

Yeah I see what you mean, it's the front to back movent that is an issue not to up and down. Here is some pics of my HJ60 (RHD) my tie rods don't seem to have your issue they don't touch on the passenger side at all. For reference on my 60 the end of the pitman arm is about 120mm forward from the main track rod.
IMG_20210423_060116.jpg
IMG_20210423_060144.jpg
IMG_20210423_060155.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom