Interesting tire info (Toyo) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been seriously considering the Toyo AT3s for the LX. I was looking at the specs for the LT285/75r17 and noticed that the OWL version are .2" taller and 2 lbs lighter than the BSW version. I thought this sounded kind of weird so I emailed Toyo to confirm the difference.

This was their response... (not sure what to think about this)

Thank you for contacting Toyo Tires U.S.A. Corp. The weight difference is due to the manufacturing process from different plants. Tires made in Japan are lighter than tires made in the US.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
Toyo Tires U.S.A. Corp

That is interesting. That might make it worth getting the OWL and running them letters in. I'll have to look and see what the price difference is. I'm considering the same size and tire when I replace my 285/70 Ridge Grapplers.

Letters out :cool:

The lighter one is C rated (116 load), and the other is E rated (121 load)- so I think a 2 lb difference makes sense.

The Toyo ATIIIs are excellent tires. I've only been running them for a month, but am very happy with the performance so far. I opted for the LT285/55/20 on my '11 LX.

In addition to the weight differences, there are also some sidewall differences between the ATIII LT tires that are made in the US vs Japan. This only applies to the LT variants as far as I have heard. LT tires manufactured in Japan are going to have smaller (almost embossed) sidewall lugs while the US versions have thicker lugs that stick out beyond the sidewall.

You can see the discussion here:

The lighter one is C rated (116 load), and the other is E rated (121 load)- so I think a 2 lb difference makes sense.
The ones I am referring to are both E rated. Same specs except one is OWL, .2" taller and 2 lbs lighter. The C and E rated are both the same weight and 2 lbs heavier and shorter.

The Toyo ATIIIs are excellent tires. I've only been running them for a month, but am very happy with the performance so far. I opted for the LT285/55/20 on my '11 LX.

In addition to the weight differences, there are also some sidewall differences between the ATIII LT tires that are made in the US vs Japan. This only applies to the LT variants as far as I have heard. LT tires manufactured in Japan are going to have smaller (almost embossed) sidewall lugs while the US versions have thicker lugs that stick out beyond the sidewall.

You can see the discussion here:

Thanks for the link. Lot of reading. Did help answer my questions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom